Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

First recording using Helix

Troll1337

Hey there.

I've had my Helix for about 8 months now, but due to studies and an inspiratory meltdown I've not composed or recorded anything for ages. Today, however, I decided to change that.

To do a quick gear rundown I'm using the following:

- REAPER Recording software

- Superior Drummer 2.0 (about half the kit is from the Progressive EZX)

- Line 6 Helix straight into my computer via USB

- PRS Mark Holcomb Signature (Guitar)

- Cheap Ibanez Bass (SR-something series)

- Horizon Devices Precision Drive (an overdrive pedal)

I'm using a mix between 3Sigma and Ownhammer IR's for my guitar sound, and a blend between raw signal + cab signal (also Ownhammer) for my bass sound. All effects (except the overdrive for my guitars) are from the Helix. However, some the tracks are not raw - I've been using some EQ and compression on both the bass and the guitars.

Please keep in mind that my playing is awful and the track is not mastered nor mixed to any larger extent. Also, the drums are processed to hell and beyond, lol.

Anyway, enough talking, here's the clip: https://soundcloud.com/hampus-persson-10/mjatol/s-pWg8Q

(Also, I realized I'm a fanboy of Periphery. Crap.)

• Upvote 1

Says track has been removed? Also just curious, don't you get some phasing issues by combining IR's from different companies? I haven't tried it, but I heard it's not a good idea.

Should be fixed now, I think I gave the wrong link to the song.

And no, I haven't encountered any phasing issues as of yet. I'm using the A/B Split in the Helix to blend between the IRs.

It's all Helix except for the overdrive pedal! I'm currently using the Archetype Lead amp.

does that men you don't want to say what pedal it is? It's fine if you don't, just being clear.

Plus one for the Horizon :-) Got one in Loop 2. I thought the gate would be tighter but after a week I realize it's purpose is to avoid that hard gating and have a more organic type gate. Mind posting your patch? Would be interested in trying it with my Horizon PD and similar setup you have rocking over there. 

• Upvote 1

Plus one for the Horizon :-) Got one in Loop 2. I thought the gate would be tighter but after a week I realize it's purpose is to avoid that hard gating and have a more organic type gate. Mind posting your patch? Would be interested in trying it with my Horizon PD and similar setup you have rocking over there. 

Sorry for the late response.

Yeah, really liking the pedal thus far. And I've exported my preset for you. Hope you'll find it useful in some way. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8rabmlu30pxh9dn/Horizon%20-%20R6%20.hlx?dl=0

Well this is quite an interesting patch. I also use 3Sigma and have some of the OH libraries. May I ask which ones you picked? I haven't tried any OH stuff in a really long time since my AFXII days. Thanks for the patch I've never seen something like this before hehe.

• Upvote 1

Well this is quite an interesting patch. I also use 3Sigma and have some of the OH libraries. May I ask which ones you picked? I haven't tried any OH stuff in a really long time since my AFXII days. Thanks for the patch I've never seen something like this before hehe.

The 3Sigma pack I'm using is the US Custom, I think. Turns out I wasn't using Ownhammer, but something else that I can't remember the name of, haha. Also, do notice that cab A (the top cab) is the "main" sound, while cab B (on the bottom row) is used to gain some additional "roominess", so to speak. :P

And yeah, the patch is all over the place with EQ, but it works for me, which is the point. ^^

Excellent! Great tones and astounding that this is your first recording with the Helix. 

Thanks!

Albeit recording with Helix is new to me, I've previously been recording using an Eleven Rack (for 3 years or so), so I got a basic grasp over how to usemodelers in a mix. This particular mix isn't very good though, waaayy too low-middy and too little "crisp" on the guitars.

The most fun part about recording isn't the product itself, but rather the improvement from one occasion to the other. :)