Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix for steel string acoustic live?

jkuche

BuleriaChk posted a thread about playing nylon acoustic using a mic preamp in place of an amp/cab , reporting superior articulation etc. through FRFR speakers .

A reply stated that Helix isn't kind to acoustic guitars unless one plugs into the effects return.

There wasn't much help beyond that. 

I'm sure there's plenty of experience playing acoustic through Helix. Any recommendations / experience / suggestions?  ( Tak, Ibenez, Martin ; various pick-up systems). I'd like to use the Helix effects .

thanks,

j

BTW, I tried to avoid starting a redundant thread if this was already answered . I searched the forum using the work "acoustic" .  Didn't help much . 

This was a post I made before I really understood the issues involved; I was confused.

It is an impedance issue; the Helix (LT) does have an optional auto impedance matcher (set by default to on) which worked very well for my DI+ ( which is a Takamine specific device; I only use it to power my Takamines and save batteries); perhaps the poster had it turned off.  There also is a guitar pad (default set to on).  The issue for me is that my DI+  sounded like crap going into my DAW... - it was the output impedance of the DI+ that was the issue.

That might have been the issue.  You can purchase an inexpensive Motu Zbox (or more expensive) if that is your issue.

The Helix sounded gorgeous with my DI+ (and also on battery without the DI).

The only issue is the impedance matching at the input; there are many solutions in the market, you might have to experiment.

For me and the DI+ the issue was solved going into my DAW by using the Line input (instead of the Inst input) of my Focusrite 2i2 (with the new drivers downloaded).  The output was fantastic going out of the L-R outputs into my monitors straight from the Helix.

With the speaker sims on, the Helix sounds even better than preamp alone if you like the effects... (You might want to turn the gain down for some of the Heavy Metal patches...., but the Helix is very, very good for clean sounds..)

I think your steel string will sound just great (if electro-acoustic) with the Helix defaults... (IMO, YMMV, FWIW, etc.)

I've plugged my Taylor into the aux input, and I'll use the studio pre in place of an amp for acoustics. Beyond that some reverb and maybe some compression and eq depending on the situation. 

The only issue is the impedance matching at the input; ...

For me and the DI+ the issue was solved going into my DAW by using the Line input (instead of the Inst input) of my Focusrite 2i2 (with the new drivers downloaded). The output was fantastic going out of the L-R outputs into my monitors straight from the Helix.

Thanks.

To clarify - you were referring to DAW use , not live sound ? Because live is what I'm looking to use Helix for , especially the delays, verbs, and pedal volume swell .