Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

With or without IR

Soultrainer

Can someone explain me why some tones sound really bad when you add an IR block and try different IR´s? The tone is better without any IR.

I mean what are the basic concepts (if any) for creating a tone without an IR or with an intention to add IR block there?

There are also tones that sound pretty good with or without the IR.

That's a pretty broad question. What IRs are you using and how are you using them? How are you monitoring? If you are playing Helix through a guitar cab then IRs will be redundant and may not sound good. IRs (and the stock cabs in Helix, which are also IRs...) are there to emulate a cab for going direct to a PA/FRFR/headphones/recording console/etc. If you are going direct and are using a Helix cab in your preset then another IR in series with it won't necessarily behave as expected. Remove the Helix cab and use the IR in its place to hear the IR as intended.

Sounds like you might be doing it wrong. You use a cab IR instead of an amp cab model. Youight be using it in addition.

I have thought that all the IR´s are cab IR`s. So that if you are using HX cab then you should not use a third party IR at the same time. This is all trial and error to me.

Another question: If you are using for example Panama do you have to use a cab IR that is meant for Panama (taken from 5150) to make it sound good or can any IR sound good with it (if it is a Quality IR)? I have only downloaded those free IR´s since I dont know what to buy and where to put it so it would be just a waste of money until you really know what you are doing and what kind of IR you are after.

I have thought that all the IR´s are cab IR`s. So that if you are using HX cab then you should not use a third party IR at the same time. This is all trial and error to me.

Another question: If you are using for example Panama do you have to use a cab IR that is meant for Panama (taken from 5150) to make it sound good or can any IR sound good with it (if it is a Quality IR)? I have only downloaded those free IR´s since I dont know what to buy and where to put it so it would be just a waste of money until you really know what you are doing and what kind of IR you are after.

No you can experiment with different cabs for different amps. Many cabs will sound great with the Panama, many will not.

I would suggest not getting too involved with IRs until you have a good grap of preset building with the stock cab blocks.