Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Footswitch LED acting up - half colors

njglover

Since I have owned the Helix, I have had occasional problems with the second footswitch from the left on the bottom row. I think that is footswitch 7. I generally use that as my first switch, so it gets the most use. Sometimes it double triggers - activates then quickly activates again. Last time that started happening was several months ago and it just kinda went away, so I ignored it. It started happening again recently and I had a gig coming up, so I opened up the Helix and sprayed a little Deoxit on the switch. Well, now the switch works great, but the LED around it is acting up. The left half of the LED ring is one color while the right half is a different color. Except for red, it seems, which produces a full ring of one color. Some of the colors result in only half the ring being lit. Everything still works, so it's certainly usable, but I would (obviously) like to have it working correctly.

I'm still within 1 year, so I'm sure I could send it out for warranty repair, but I have another gig in like 2 weeks and I suspect I don't want to chance it, so if there is something else I should try first, I am all ears.

I think if you opened it up and sprayed stuff in it, you got to live with the color problem..........I'm betting Line 6 would say warranty void.

If you had returned it and they sprayed it - it would be their problem. 

Sounds minor, and I know we sometimes just need a quick fix!

No downtime seems a decent result to me!

I'm still within 1 year, so I'm sure I could send it out for warranty repair, but I have another gig in like 2 weeks and I suspect I don't want to chance it, so if there is something else I should try first, I am all ears.

If you opened the unit I would say you void your warranty.

Good move posting it here. :)

I think if you opened it up and sprayed stuff in it, you got to live with the color problem..........I'm betting Line 6 would say warranty void.

If you had returned it and they sprayed it - it would be their problem. 

Sounds minor, and I know we sometimes just need a quick fix!

No downtime seems a decent result to me!

Perhaps, but Deoxit is a very common electronics cleaner, don't think they would hold that against me. Maybe for taking it apart they will, though I didn't do anything to it other than clean it. We shall see what they say. Maybe I just need to do a factory reset.

If the color rings have separate electrical leads for the red, green, and blue LEDs (or all the colors if they don't use primary colors), then one possibility is that you created some kind of a short between the different leads on one side of the ring. When the signal goes out to blue, perhaps it also hits the green lead on that side. and perhaps red is not affected. I would never recommend that one open up their device again, but perhaps the deoxit just needs to dry, or be dried.

Spraying things that lead to further problems is always a truly unpleasant consequence but there is the chance the new LED ring problem is unrelated to the spray cleaning (although it sounds mighty coincidental) or it may be easily remedied. Line6 support is excellent and I would contact them and get your Helix repaired as soon as you have a window of time available. They may be more understanding or the fix may be easier than you anticipate.