Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tascam TH‑200X headphones

djspleen

This may not be the correct forum for this, but I use these headphones with my 500X, so I'll start here.

I've purchased TWO (2) pairs of Tascam TH‑200X headphones during the last 18 months and the jack crapped out on BOTH of them.  Is there a history of this happening?  Is there something with the 500X phones output that could be causing this?  I really love the headphones otherwise, but I don't think I can buy another pair of these if it's just going to happen again.  

If I push the plug in the entire way the sound is distorted and sounds like aliens are talking.  The only way to get any intelligible sound is when I plug it in partially, but then I can get either only the LEFT or RIGHT channel of sound, never both, depending how far the jack is inserted into the unit.  

Also, there is no longer any stereo separation in the speakers, everything sounds mono (same in both ears), even though it's only the left or right channel coming through from the source.

I have tried the phones in different sources and same results, so it doesn't seem to be the 500X phones jack.

I'm probably going to cut off the old jack and solder a new one and see what happens, can't be much worse than how they're working now.

I've sent a message to Tascam about this, so we'll see what they have to say.

Thanks for your time.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that they're just crappy headphones...same issue with 2 units sounds like a QC problem to me. It's either that or you're beating the daylights out of them and destroying the wire. ;)

Plus, while I know nothing about these cans specifically, I do know that Tascam is generally NOT the first name that comes up in headphone discussions (or the 2nd or 3rd, for that matter). In all likelihood, you can do a whole lot better for whatever money you spent on them...just my 2 cents. AKG, Beyerdynamic, Sony, etc are the ones you see mentioned most.

The retail price of these headphones (not what I paid) is upwards of $100 so I would think they'd be something above crappy, and the reviews are very positive.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tascam/TH-200X-Studio-Headphones.gc

While I don't think I'm beating the daylights out of them that seems to be the only other explanation.  But I don't take them anywhere, I hang them on my guitar when I'm not using them, and the usual plugging/unplugging from the jack.  *shrugs*

I didn't think the impedance would be an issue, but I wanted to at least ask.

Price doesn't really mean much. AKG 240S now sell for about $75, are quite good, and have been a studio mainstay for more years than I can remember. I've also used cans that cost 5-6x as much that I didn't particularly care for. It all depends on their frequency response, the application for which they were designed (passive listening vs. mixing/monitoring), and of course one's personal preference.

Regardless, you've got no useable cans, and you're already out $200. If it were me, I certainly wouldn't be gambling yet another hundred bucks on the same thing, especially when there are numerous other options from which to choose. Any one unit crapping out before it's time is always a possibility...but two of the same make and model developing the exact same problem would seem to suggest an underlying design flaw, cheap parts with a lack of durability, or miserable QC practices... or any combo thereof.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.  Not that it changes my non-functioning headphone situation, but I was fortunate enough to pay much less than half of the $100 each time, so that's a plus.  

I did a quick search on the AKGs you mentioned and found this:  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K240SHpBun/reviews

Based on the 1-star review shown on this page I guess Tascam isn't the only headphone maker that has issues with two of the same make and model in a row.

you can find several stuff at online stores

Which is why it's difficult to find a Radio Shack that's still in business...but that's another topic, I suppose.  

Thanks for the reply!

I would tend to think that wires are wires and if the wires came off the jack/plug then this is something that can be repaired - Often times this happens when cables are over stretched or some other force/usage has caused the cables to disconnect from the solder in the jack/plug.  That is something that can be repaired.  A little less easier to repair is when the wires come lose at the ear side.  Much more of a challenge to repair.  But wires are wires, and if the issue is wires it is something that can be repaired.