Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G10 - Can you disable or lengthen Sleep Mode entry time?

There are times when I'm standing around during a church service and someone is speaking, and it may be 4 minutes or longer.  The unit has entered sleep mode and it doesn't wake up immediately.  I can miss the first chord or few notes of what I'm playing.  Happened twice to me on Sunday.  Any way to lengthen the amount of time for Sleep Mode to kick in?  Or disable it altogether?

The current firmware (version 1.04) has no ability to lengthen nor disable the Sleep Mode feature. Line 6 has not commented whether any such feature will be added to future firmware.

For the time being, there are only two things that come to mind....

One is to lightly tap, thump or palm mute one or more strings every 3 minutes, or so, to send a brief low signal to prevent the G10 from entering Sleep Mode after 4 minutes. If this cannot be accomplished without it being heard during the service then it won't accomplish the intended result of being inaudible, unless you can enlist the assistance of the FOH soundman to mute/unmute your FOH channel. Another thought, is that you could partially unplug the G10 transmitter from your guitar's jack without removing it fully. This would release pressure from the microswitch at the base of the transmitter's 1/4" plug, effectively turning off the transmitter. The base would resume pulsing. A few seconds before you need to resume playing, reseat the transmitter fully into your guitar. The Transmitter will turn on, and the base will lock to the same signal channel it was previously using with the transmitter. There should not be any audible pop, click, nor thump. The only problem with this technique would be your having to remember to reseat the transmitter before resuming playing, and making sure the transmitter did not fall out when you retracted it slightly.

Nope... Do you have another way to mute yourself? I'd probably turn the tuner on the Helix and strum a few chords, or, you know, tune, in the middle of the silent periods. You can also just unplug and plug the G10 back in. It's totally silent when you do that.

There are times when I'm standing around during a church service and someone is speaking, and it may be 4 minutes or longer.  The unit has entered sleep mode and it doesn't wake up immediately.  I can miss the first chord or few notes of what I'm playing.  Happened twice to me on Sunday.  Any way to lengthen the amount of time for Sleep Mode to kick in?  Or disable it altogether?

It is something that you just have to be aware of. I play at church through G10>Helix. I use the volume pedal to mute myself between songs, and leave my volume pot on guitar up. I have a habit of always looking at the status light of the G10 before we kick off a song. If it is sleeping, I just hit the strings with the volume pedal down, volume pot on guitar up to wake it up, then open up the volume pedal to start playing. It takes about 1-1.5 seconds to wake up. You'll get used to it after a while. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar thing happen:

RELAY G10, 2 transmitters, fully charged Playing a concert.

• Pre-Show (5-10 min) I synced Transmitter1 with Base1 and placed in Guitar1 (JTV69 also connected and powered by VDI/Helix)
  • Synced Transmitter2 with Base1 and inserted in spare (Guitar2).

First 2 songs have custom tunings from Helix snapshots so VDI is used, but G10 still plugged in output jack for when I disconnect. Volume is obviously up.

• 4th song I disconnect, no sound, G10 is no longer talking to Base. I would have to plugin to Base and resync to use. Solo passes without me because I'm trying to plug the VDI cable back in to my guitar.
  • After the song, I noticed the backup guitar also has gone to sleep. I turn up the volume knob and hit the strings a coupla times and it doesn't wake back up either. ?!?!?!
  • No other bluetooth was in range as far as I know unless it was cellphones in the first couple of rows of the audience, which would've been 30-40 ft away. 

Base1 is flashing white the entire time. After a plugin/resyncing, all is well.

I know it enters sleep mode after 4 min of no input, but how long does the unit actually sleep before it needs a resync or turns off altogether? Is there any way to control this behavior? even a hack? If not, these units won't work for me.

I had a similar thing happen:

RELAY G10, 2 transmitters, fully charged Playing a concert.

• Pre-Show (5-10 min) I synced Transmitter1 with Base1 and placed in Guitar1 (JTV69 also connected and powered by VDI/Helix)
  • Synced Transmitter2 with Base1 and inserted in spare (Guitar2).

First 2 songs have custom tunings from Helix snapshots so VDI is used, but G10 still plugged in output jack for when I disconnect. Volume is obviously up.

• 4th song I disconnect, no sound, G10 is no longer talking to Base. I would have to plugin to Base and resync to use. Solo passes without me because I'm trying to plug the VDI cable back in to my guitar.
  • After the song, I noticed the backup guitar also has gone to sleep. I turn up the volume knob and hit the strings a coupla times and it doesn't wake back up either. ?!?!?!
  • No other bluetooth was in range as far as I know unless it was cellphones in the first couple of rows of the audience, which would've been 30-40 ft away. 

Base1 is flashing white the entire time. After a plugin/resyncing, all is well.

I know it enters sleep mode after 4 min of no input, but how long does the unit actually sleep before it needs a resync or turns off altogether? Is there any way to control this behavior? even a hack? If not, these units won't work for me.

If the transmitter is plugged into something and has the microswitch engaged, it will go into sleep mode after about 4 minutes but does not turn "off" altogether. It is always sleeping waiting for an input signal to wake it up. The tranmitter can be in sleep mode for approximately 200 hours before going dead. 

I am not sure about this, but I don't think you can sync two transmitters at the same time to a single base receiver. When you have already synched the first one, inserting a second transmitter into the base will force it to a different channel because it sees the channel from your first transmitter is being used. 

So to me what I see happening is that you synced your primary guitar transmitter, then synced your backup. So the base was looking for your backup transmitter and that is why your primary did not work. You had to re-insert it to sync it back.

• 8 months later...

I'm having this same problem. I don't how many times I've gone to hit an important chord after a few minutes and I get...silence. Using signal to wake it up seems like a bad design. There should be another way to wake it up. Maybe a motion detector or a button you can press to wake it up.

I'm having this same problem. I don't how many times I've gone to hit an important chord after a few minutes and I get...silence. Using signal to wake it up seems like a bad design. There should be another way to wake it up. Maybe a motion detector or a button you can press to wake it up.

You just have to work with what you have. Here is how I do it at church:

1. Waiting for next song more than 4 minutes, G10 goes into sleep mode. 

2. I KNOW that G10 will be in sleep mode. I always look at the G10 indicator LED to see the status before playing. 

3. I roll back my volume pedal to ensure I am not sending signal to the mixing console. 

4. Turn up the volume pot on guitar. 

5. Hit the strings

6. G10 wakes up

7. Turn up volume pedal, play. 

That entire process takes about 4 seconds. If I forget to do that, it is my own fault. I don't suggest that Line 6 adds motion sensors, buttons, or anything like that. I know how the equipment works, and I can control when it comes out of sleep mode. The key to using ANY piece of equipment effectively is to understand how it works, and make it work for you. 

You just have to work with what you have. Here is how I do it at church:

1. Waiting for next song more than 4 minutes, G10 goes into sleep mode. 

2. I KNOW that G10 will be in sleep mode. I always look at the G10 indicator LED to see the status before playing. 

3. I roll back my volume pedal to ensure I am not sending signal to the mixing console. 

4. Turn up the volume pot on guitar. 

5. Hit the strings

6. G10 wakes up

7. Turn up volume pedal, play. 

That entire process takes about 4 seconds. If I forget to do that, it is my own fault. I don't suggest that Line 6 adds motion sensors, buttons, or anything like that. I know how the equipment works, and I can control when it comes out of sleep mode. The key to using ANY piece of equipment effectively is to understand how it works, and make it work for you. 

Thank you for taking time to reply. I am familiar with how the G10 works. I am just offering feedback to Line6 to help them make better products in the future. Boss solved this problem very elegantly, so it seems reasonable to expect Line6 should be able to do the same.

• 7 months later...

I bought the unit three weeks ago. I had to buy a new USB chord because the one out of the box was so loose I kept using power. I bought a braided USB chord at a Petro Canada gas station of all places and it is much better quality than the original. One issue resolved.

The sound is great but after the Relay G10 enters sleep mode it does not wake up unless I unplug from the guitar and start over. I'm only five feet from the receiver and waiting 5-10 seconds after I strum in sleep mode does nothing.

The manual does states the transmitter will wake up. Not mine. I may have to return this unit, not working as specified.

Hi, it's me responding to my own post - not sure if this is considered gauche.

What I discovered is this:

- when plugging the G10 transmitter into the guitar it establishes connectivity with the receiver at 1/8 volume on the guitar - very low volume.

- when attempting to wake-up from sleep mode the volume level on the guitar must be set to at least 50% if not higher - much higher volume.

- if one selects high E the volume must be higher compared to low E.

- I play at lower volumes because I'm very close to my amp.

- when I use headphones (wireless) the volume from the headphones can be adjusted so this can mask/hide the difference between initial and wake-up volume requirements.

- to compensate for this inconsistency when playing without my studio headphones I turn up the volume on the guitar and lower the input on the amp.

- I like the Relay G10 but this to me is a design inconsistency.

Now that the nature of the unit is more apparent I can deal with this. They've should consider resolving the USB design - not good.