Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X to Power Amp to Cabinet???

mikecobra302

Hey everyone!

I am tired of looking for my live solution.  Currently I have a Peavey 6505+ that I've been having issues with.  I have an older Line 6 HD147 I use when I get frustrated with my other setups.  It is still a rock solid option.  I've tried the 4 cable method from my HD500X to my HD147 and I cannot get the sound I want.

I am looking to use my HD500X, and keep my Mesa 4x12 cab in the mix.  I want the control of my tone.  The few times I've also tried a live direct out to the house PA from my HD500X it sounded like trash.

So doing a bit of research a lot of people using amp modelers, Line 6, or Fractal Audio stuff, they output the HD500X to a power amp, to their cab.

Anyone have experience here?  I was looking at the RockTron 300 Power amp.

Any experience or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!!!

The Rocktron Velocity is a great power amp - I used to use an old 120 all the time.

However, first try going into the HD147's FX return instead of the 4cm. The HD147 is a beast on its own and so is the HD but combined ala 4cm does not = more greatness. :)

• Upvote 2

Thank you both!  I'll give that a shot:)

Which output on the HD500X to the FX return on the HD147?  I know, stupid question, but no video I found really covers this.

Left 1/4" analog output.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using my HD500 thru a Crown XLS1000 into a custom 2x12 for 2 years now, I love it. Any tone- any time. The 2x12 has a Mesa black shadow and Celestion Lead 80 and it's decent sounding imo, used to run a Mesa Mark IV and 5150II head thru same cab and created tones similar enough that I don't have to lug around the expensive heads and get close enough tones for live/ road use. BUT I'm very much on the verge of going w a FRFR monitor instead , the sound is just cleaner and I think it's more efficient and effective than trying to compensate for or even color the existing tone(using a 2x12) - just some advice. I have done the 4x12 thing, the 2x12 thing, the Direct thing, and the cable method of my HD500 adding fx AND switching the channels on my 2 amp heads simultaneously. While that was my favorite sound, no doubt, lugging around that valuable and financially unreplacable equipment was just getting tiresome. I am very pleased w the direct / FOH sound actually, its dialed in great. But anyway, I recommend considering ditching the cab/power amp route w these units and just go direct to FOH w a FRFR on stage as a monitor.

Is the HD147 Power Amp working OK?

Why not try plugging your HD500x into the Effects Return, bypassing the preamp completely. Use the HD500x as your preamp, and just boost the signal with the power amp of the HD147.

I have been using preamps into poweramps for close to 20 years. When you are using any type of pedalboard/multiFX that includes any sort of preamp or amp modeling, the worst thing to do is to plug it into the input of an amp. You then have 2 tone circuits battling each other. Prior to getting my HD500X, I used a Digitech 2120 rack mount preamp/digitalFX rig, usually direct to the PA. If I did use an onstage amp, I would run the Digitech, fully stereo, into a Mackie m1200 poweramp connected to a stereo split 4x12 cabinet.

Another option I have used extensively is running the preamp (HD500X, Digitech 2120) into a pair of powered monitors. Set the EQ flat. This route gives you complete tonal control of your sound since you can program your patches accounting for the horns in the monitors, which in turn allows you to run the second set of outputs straight to the FOH with little to no EQ adjustment needed at the board. You will be giving the soundman exactly the sound you want portrayed to the audience.  I usually then place the set of monitors in front of me so I have absolutely no issues hearing myself while also creating almost zero stage volume. It lets the soundman have complete control of your levels in the mix.

• Upvote 1

I use a stereo headphone 1/4" to dual single 1/4" mono Y-cable (sometimes called a "TRS" cable or Tip - Ring - Sleeve) in my HD500X to the HD147.  Run the stereo end out of the HD500X "Headphone Out" jack and the mono plugs straight into the HD147 effects loop "Return" only.  It bypasses the HD147 preamp section and runs true stereo to the left/right inputs on my 4x12 Marshall cabinet. Also, even though the guitar is plugged into the HD500X's input, you'll still need to plug one end of a spare guitar cable (or dummy load) into the front of the amp to hear anything. Took me a while to figure that one out... Ha!

CAUTION: The HD147 volume is touchy. It will get LOUD in a hurry. I generally run the HD147 volume at about "1" in the house and have had it up to about "3" outdoors. I start the HD500X volume at around 10 o'clock and adjust up from there.

Nice thing is that the HD147 is 300-watts stereo, so you have LOTS of headroom. Even a "lowly" Flextone II head (black with red panel) pushes 150-watts, also in stereo. Mine is even made in the USA! It's a fantastic back-up that is easy on the wallet and sounds great! The Flextone II head doesn't need the dummy cable in the front, but it has a stereo effects loop jack. So, even though you only see one input, a stereo cable end will actually work - because it is a stereo jack (TRS). In that case, I flip the y-cable around and use the mono plugs out of the stereo L/R "Output" of the HD500X and the stereo tip goes into the Flextone II's effects loop "Return" only. BAM! You are rocking!

Works the same with the kidney bean PODs as well. Monster set-up, L.A.F., but whisper quiet until you hit a note.

Your original question poses the use of a stereo power amp. I have used a POD X3 into a Crate PowerBlock (stop laughing...) into a 2x12 cabinet and it sounded great. However, I much preferred using the Flextone II head and the HD147. The HD147 manual claims it will push EIGHT 4x12 cabs with gusto! That's 32 twelve-inch speakers... I ran it into 2 Marshall 4x12s and it pushed enough air to actually "blow out" a tea light candle. I saw it move my jean's pantlegs while I was playing. and got the idea to put a candle in front of the amp and crank it!  Called up the "Battle Axe" preset and chugged a palm-muted E power chord... It's a fun party trick. Ha!

Hope this helped!

• 4 weeks later...

Pianoguyy,

Almost... I run a TRS y-cable (stereo 1/4" plug to dual mono 1/4" plugs) from the HD500X "headphone out" (called PHONES on the 500X) to the HD147's effects loop RETURN only. Then, I plug a dummy lead into the front of the HD147. The guitar plugs into the GUITAR IN on the 500X. BAM! Done.

So, the headphone out goes to the effect loop RETURN, not the input jack. A dummy cable (one end of a guitar cable works) plugs into the front input jack of the HD147. This allows the 500X to "hijack" the HD147, bypassing the amp's pre-amp section and simply uses it as a 300-watt stereo power amp. I think the master volume is the only thing that will respond on the HD147 when it is hooked up like this; everything else is done through the 500X. Sounds killer, after some minor "personal tone taste" tweaking. You can also make a huge difference by tweaking the LO CUT and RESONANCE and THUMP settings (either thru the desktop app or by deep diving from the 500X "amp/cab" edit screen (there are 5 pages, 1/5, 2/5, etc - often overlooked). Get there by highlighting the amp model and double-tap the ENTER button on the 500X. Click through the pages with the XY navigation pad and you'll see the options change for the four twist knobs under the screen. Hope I didn't over-complicate this...  Ha!  The cab edit is very handy when dialing in a 500X to a FRFR rig or into a PA speaker system.

RELATED: there's a FANTASTIC homebrew manual (FREE!) from a guy named "MeAmBobbo" on the Internet. (MeAmBobbo_PodHD_Guide) It's geared toward dialing in metal tones. The section on using the Parametric EQ's "Q" filter to get rid of the fizziness from incorporating a tweeter/horn into the cabinet is pure gold! (not to be confused with the Q Filter Model listed under FILTER - completely different thing...)  The guide is AMAZING! And it's in layman terms. Heck, even a drummer could probably follow along! Har!

By the way, you can also hook up any of the previous edition POD beans and floorboards the same way, although the HD147 probably offers a better tone than earlier POD offerings. However, the POD X3 offered some pretty sweet Matchless amp tones (and more effects) that weren't included on the 147 - so there is that... The HD147 effects loop has dual inputs for both SEND and RETURN, however, the Flextone II head (as mentioned in my other post, with the red front panel) has a single input for the effects loop SEND and a single jack for the RETURN, however, they are stereo jacks. You can run mono or stereo plugs into the effects loop. That was why I mentioned flipping the y-cable and using the mono ends on the L/R 1/4" outs on the 500X and use the stereo tip end into the Flextone II's effects loop RETURN.

Hope this helped. I write it knowing that others will read it and may not have your expertise - so I try to spell things out for newbies!

Decades ago: I went to a band audition with a full Marshall stack and Yamaha FX500 effects unit. Sounded fine at bedroom levels, but when the band kicked up the volume, I noticed a LOT of hiss from my tube amp when we stopped playing. The other guitar player had a solid state Ibanez half stack and a Boss floorboard. His rig was dead silent until he hit a note and took our heads off! He showed me how to do the hijack trick with the amp's effects loop RETURN only hook-up. Been (mostly) doing it that way ever since. And, yeah! I got the gig! Funny thing was when we did "Radar Love." I was a bit older than the other guitarist. He only knew the White Lion version and I only knew the Golden Earring version. We always did it as a mash-up; I'd play it classic (on a black Les Paul) and he'd blaze in with the Vito Brata fills on his green Ibanez JEM (original Vai version with disappearing pyramids). I'd make faces and shake my head, like he was ruining the song; he'd smirk back at me and get the audience on his side as he just ripped through the solo. Old School vs New School. Got a lot of smiles from the audience.

• Upvote 2