Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

John Frusciante Tone for Can't Stop

Raze153

Hey, I'm new to playing the electric guitar and I bought this amp last month. With all the options this amp has (V 30) it's really confusing for a beginner (doing more research along the way).  I'm trying to get a tone for Can't Stop, but something just sounds off to me. My settings are Plexi 45, Drive at 2, Bass at 5-6, Mid at 9, and Treble at 7. Should this be where the knobs are at? I also have compression and distortion on. I'm using the bridge pickup on my Squier Strat. Also, any thoughts on where the tone knobs should be at? 

Thanks,

Vincent 

Hey, I'm new to playing the electric guitar and I bought this amp last month. With all the options this amp has (V 30) it's really confusing for a beginner (doing more research along the way).  I'm trying to get a tone for Can't Stop, but something just sounds off to me. My settings are Plexi 45, Drive at 2, Bass at 5-6, Mid at 9, and Treble at 7. Should this be where the knobs are at? I also have compression and distortion on. I'm using the bridge pickup on my Squier Strat. Also, any thoughts on where the tone knobs should be at? 

Thanks,

Vincent 

Part of the problem with those settings is not using the modeling properly. Setting a real P45 like that would be a dull tone for me anyway.

Try:  Drive 8, Bass high, Mids 7 or 8, Treble 8. Vol up high. Add slight compression but try to use the amp for the distortion unless you use distortion for a clean boost.

Next part I use is the EQ after the Amp and Cab. It's just marked EQ. That EQ is a parametric type. You can get creative with it. You can use it to push the amp modeling. 

Spider V use extended range speakers from what I read. Use the EQ after the amp to dial back in the sound you want from the speaker. Using the Spider V 30 watt version you have to be more creative than those with a 60 120 or 240 version. That 8" speaker is more limited, so you may have to work more to get the low end you seek. It's going to be more of a compromise.

I suggest start with the post EQ on. Set something like this:

Low Shelf- 450

Low Shelf Gain- pretty high. Around 6-8

Low Mid Freq- 2.5K

Low Mid Gain-  -1

Hi Mid Freq- 3.8K

Hi Mid Gain- 7  maybe less for your amp

Hi Shelf Freq-  4.5K

Hi Shelf Gain-  5 maybe lower.

For RHCP's I use the guitar volume control often. Go from just a broken up tone to a slightly more overdriven sound by using the guitar volume for dynamic. If its too bright, use your tone control mid way or use the 2 and 4 positions of the guitar pickup selector.

Part of the problem with those settings is not using the modeling properly. Setting a real P45 like that would be a dull tone for me anyway.

Try:  Drive 8, Bass high, Mids 7 or 8, Treble 8. Vol up high. Add slight compression but try to use the amp for the distortion unless you use distortion for a clean boost.

Next part I use is the EQ after the Amp and Cab. It's just marked EQ. That EQ is a parametric type. You can get creative with it. You can use it to push the amp modeling. 

Spider V use extended range speakers from what I read. Use the EQ after the amp to dial back in the sound you want from the speaker. Using the Spider V 30 watt version you have to be more creative than those with a 60 120 or 240 version. That 8" speaker is more limited, so you may have to work more to get the low end you seek. It's going to be more of a compromise.

I suggest start with the post EQ on. Set something like this:

Low Shelf- 450

Low Shelf Gain- pretty high. Around 6-8

Low Mid Freq- 2.5K

Low Mid Gain-  -1

Hi Mid Freq- 3.8K

Hi Mid Gain- 7  maybe less for your amp

Hi Shelf Freq-  4.5K

Hi Shelf Gain-  5 maybe lower.

For RHCP's I use the guitar volume control often. Go from just a broken up tone to a slightly more overdriven sound by using the guitar volume for dynamic. If its too bright, use your tone control mid way or use the 2 and 4 positions of the guitar pickup selector.

Wow, thanks for the input. I did what you told me, but now it sounds duller. What should I do to fix this? 

Wow, thanks for the input. I did what you told me, but now it sounds duller. What should I do to fix this? 

You can try taking the eq gain levels down on the Low and High shelf. If you need the tone thicker, select the Low Mid Freq at about 450, gain of 2 or 3.

High mId Gain take down to about 3. 

It's going to be different with the 8" speaker than it is in 12" speakers which have more bottom end by design.

That was a setting I used for Californication

You can try taking the eq gain levels down on the Low and High shelf. If you need the tone thicker, select the Low Mid Freq at about 450, gain of 2 or 3.

High mId Gain take down to about 3. 

It's going to be different with the 8" speaker than it is in 12" speakers which have more bottom end by design.

That was a setting I used for Californication

There we go, I made that adjustment know it sounds better. I also added some reverb in. It sounds decent enough to play with, but could be better. 

Anyways, thanks a lot for the help. Once I learn more about effects, I hopefully won't be needing to ask questions.