Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Should I Replace My Pod X3 Pro?

tsbe

Hi!

I just can't decide... Ok I haven't tried the hd500x...too far to the nearest musicstore.

I have a pod x3 pro and I'm running it through a marshall 8008 power amp into a 4x12 marshall cab.

The sound is ok I guess and I suspect that the biggest problem is the marshall 8008. It is kind of weak and doesn't have much power in the low end. I'm thinking of replacing it with a tube amp head or another power amp but tube amps are expensive. I did borrow a Bugheera head and tried through that but I didn't think that it was that big differance.

Anyway. To the big question. Should I get a Pod hd500x instead of the x3 pro? It seams to be worth it soundwise and I would really like the harmonizer and looper. And of course  the floorboard is a big plus.

The plus side for the hd500x seems to be:

Well, better sounding amps.

Harmonizer and looper 

The pedalboard

The plus side for the hd500x seems to be:

Direct out (clean unprocessed signal) for recording (fixable by using spdif on hd500x)

Multi out..I mean I can have one signal to my amp and another to my mixer.

Lots of amps ..but I prefer quality before quantity

Bass amps. Somtimes I use my x3 for playing bass. The hd500x seems to have 2 bassamps though.

I'm thankful for any idéas and suggestions.

Like hurghanico said, they are different. The HD series is not a replacement for the X3 series. Some people who 'upgraded' to the HD were disappointed by some missing features like dual output mode, Lock Tone 2, vocal and bass guitar support, loss of some flexibility in the studio, and fewer amp models.

However, if you are looking for quality of sound for live playing, the HD tones are far superior.

Thanks guys!
It's a tough one.

We always "want it all". I can feel that I really would appreciate the dynamics in the hd500x because my playing is very dynamic (or at least I try).

Maybe I will buy one and thry both and just make the descicion after playing with both for a while.

I tried to check some youtube videos where the hd500x is used for bass but there aren't many. The ampeg amp is a classic so one should be able to use it for occasional bass playing.

The things I miss in X3 Pro is the dynamics...well I can hear the differance in just about every youtube video where someone is testing both x3 and hd500.

I'm quite convinced that I'm not going to miss all the guitar amps in the x3 pro. Rather some really good ones. I don't use the stuff for vocals but the bass stuff is useful.

I miss power in the low end as well but that can also be much because of the marshall 8008. I know this is a low budget amp.  Any suggestions about a affordable head/power amp to replace my 8008?

Ah...what to do what to do...

It feels like overkill having both units...I'm not that great guitarplayer that I deserve both ;)

If you do decide to get the PODHD, be prepared to spend a lot of time reading, learning, and tweaking knobs.  I haven't seen a post yet where someone says "Oh yeah I plugged it in and dialed in my tone really quick".  It's more like "After two weeks of trying I'm about ready to give up".  Then finally you get it figured out and it sounds really nice.  Everyone here is very helpful getting you through that process.

• Upvote 2

I instantly recognized the higher quality...

most who spend all that time and frustration are trying to replicate previous tones.... (and of course they want it NOW)

if you approach it like a truckload of new amps and pedals and go for new... it's not that hard in my experience...

of course the trick is not to try and use the whole truckload at once... pick out some favorites or give a quick audition to the amps and start there

If you do decide to get the PODHD, be prepared to spend a lot of time reading, learning, and tweaking knobs.  I haven't seen a post yet where someone says "Oh yeah I plugged it in and dialed in my tone really quick".  It's more like "After two weeks of trying I'm about ready to give up".  Then finally you get it figured out and it sounds really nice.  Everyone here is very helpful getting you through that process.

Thanks all for the superb info!

Jeez I have spent the weekend experimented with my x3 pro. It is sounding rather good. But..I just can't decide. It's a shame one has to compromise right? I can do without hundreds of amp-models.