Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I thought the helix looper blew my studio monitors.

loopinit

I was doing some acoustic looping just now, and had 5 layers recorded.  I stopped the loop to listen to youtube through my studio monitors (Helix USB was routed to my computer as usual).  Upon playback, youtube audio sounded like my 5 inch cones were both blown.  I immediately freaked out before thinking there's no way they both blew at once.  So I changed to another preset and they sound fine again.  Has anyone else had this problem?

I had a similar sound the other day, I had foolishly opened Sonar a bit quickly whilst Helix was just finishing booting up.

Playback was a bit like you described, can't remember if I played any guitar at that moment so it may have just been the PC connection.

Possibly something scrambled in the USB communication. There are reports of the editor ceasing communication occasionally, had it a very few times in 18 months, normally when using the onboard Helix controls. Possible USB communication isn't rock solid and FU sometimes?

Quite rare though I imagine, i've had very few other problems , 2 lock ups, 1 stuck in boot up.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I really understand exactly what happened.  Also, you didn't describe exactly what your setup was, and whether or not it changed from one step to another...

Are you using Helix as your soundcard?  How were you listening to YouTube through the Helix?  Was it the YouTube video that sounded awful, or did you switch back to Helix and it sounded awful?  How are your monitors connected to your Helix?  Are they?  Upon playback of what?  How were you listening to Helix through your monitors, then how did you make the switch to listening to YouTube through your monitors?  And if YouTube sounded awful, why would changing a preset on Helix make YouTube sound better? 

I think you got that first post because your description doesn't really make a whole lot of sense about what's going on.

Kind of like, "Yeah, I was on the train listening to my phone, then somebody talked, and all of a sudden there was a loud noise.  Then I listened to my phone and it was fine again."

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I really understand exactly what happened.  Also, you didn't describe exactly what your setup was, and whether or not it changed from one step to another...

Are you using Helix as your soundcard?  How were you listening to YouTube through the Helix?  Was it the YouTube video that sounded awful, or did you switch back to Helix and it sounded awful?  How are your monitors connected to your Helix?  Are they?  Upon playback of what?  How were you listening to Helix through your monitors, then how did you make the switch to listening to YouTube through your monitors?  And if YouTube sounded awful, why would changing a preset on Helix make YouTube sound better? 

I think you got that first post because your description doesn't really make a whole lot of sense about what's going on.

Kind of like, "Yeah, I was on the train listening to my phone, then somebody talked, and all of a sudden there was a loud noise.  Then I listened to my phone and it was fine again."

It was a joke. No offense to the OP but i think posts about "what almost happened" are kind of silly. Especially when you dont present the information necessary to address the issue. Nothing haapened here, no need to start a thread about it unless it persists or becomes troublesome. These minor "glitches" are common place in computer audio.