Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv Scratch And Dents Lately

Whats with all the JTV scratch and dent sales ive been seeing on MF, SW, and others......  for me specifically the JTV-89F.

I want one, but I am a tad nervous with these guitars popping up, are they returned or coming from factory like this???

I have the jtv-59 and 69 and love em.  just curious if there is something wrong with the 89 floyds?

thanks in advance!!!

Wow...you want 3 of these?

Since the modeling would be the same across all I cant see the advantage, but to each his own.

I got a 69-S scratch and dent from SW.

Can't find a scratch or dent.

I hate how the JTV I'd get is so specific. 69s maple. Makes getting deals like this harder.

Ha ha...that's exactly the one I got.

They had four the first time I looked, next time it was down to one so I snagged it.

Kind of wish I hadn't just bought my 89, would have really preferred the 59 goldtop with p90s they have at hellomusic at the moment for only a wee bit more money than I paid...

I really love these jtv guitars, my 59 is my favorite, the 69 was a steal, and the 89f came out right after I bought my 69 so I wasn't thrilled, but I really want a Floyd jtv.

Since the modeling would be the same across all I cant see the advantage, but to each his own.

I got a 59 Scratch 'n Dent from Sweetwater. Went over it and over it and... Found one little spot on the top edge of the fretboard, almost half the size of the fret markers, @2nd fret that was slightly discolored. I'm not sure that, if I were screening the outgoing units from the factory, I would have pulled this for a Scratch 'n Dent sale. I would never have noticed it if my buddy hadn't pointed it out to me. I was looking for SCRATCHES and DENTS - there are none. That wasn't a $450 "problem" to me, but I'm REALLY happy it was to Line 6! :wub:

I have a sneaking suspicion that sometimes a manufacturer allows a percentage of their perfectly fine guitars to be sold as "Scratch & Dent" to increase their sales, i.e. cash flow. This allows them to get more sales without discounting the entire line by the same amount. I have also purchased a Sweetwater JTV-69 "Scratch & Dent". It's perfect. And, you certainly don't hear me complaining!!

Hey guys, I found a new jtv-89f at ams an ordered it. To me this is the holy grail of modeling guitars.

My jtv 59 is one of my favorite guitars that I own, I play it more than I play my prs studio 10 top, but I haven't owned a shredder for some years now so really looking forward to the 89f!

Thanks for your input.

I have a sneaking suspicion that sometimes a manufacturer allows a percentage of their perfectly fine guitars to be sold as "Scratch & Dent" to increase their sales, i.e. cash flow. This allows them to get more sales without discounting the entire line by the same amount. I have also purchased a Sweetwater JTV-69 "Scratch & Dent". It's perfect. And, you certainly don't hear me complaining!!

Especially at the end of a quarter. A rep that needs to make quota or another tier in comp plan may cut a deal with large customer such as sweetwater.

I bought my 69 as a scratch n dent from Sweetwater. Can't find a single thing wrong with it. Still had the scratch-plastic on the pickguard and pickups. Not likely to be a return with that still on board. I'm guessing it's just a sales tactic.

I got a 59 Scratch 'n Dent from Sweetwater. Went over it and over it and... Found one little spot on the top edge of the fretboard, almost half the size of the fret markers, @2nd fret that was slightly discolored. I'm not sure that, if I were screening the outgoing units from the factory, I would have pulled this for a Scratch 'n Dent sale. I would never have noticed it if my buddy hadn't pointed it out to me. I was looking for SCRATCHES and DENTS - there are none. That wasn't a $450 "problem" to me, but I'm REALLY happy it was to Line 6! :wub:

Well, I finally notice a "problem" with my 59: the nut doesn't seem to be cut just right. The 1st string (high E) is a bit too close to the end of the fret, and I've pushed it off the end a couple of times already. If they'd reduced the spacing just a touch and centered the strings on the fretboard, it would be better.  Plus, the E and B are a little high (the nut wasn't cut quite deep enough), causing those two strings to be out of tune when using chords down near the nut (Dmaj, Amaj, etc).

However, I'm STILL a happy camper (more or less) with my (still fairly new) JTV-59.

Well, I finally notice a "problem" with my 59: the nut doesn't seem to be cut just right. The 1st string (high E) is a bit too close to the end of the fret, and I've pushed it off the end a couple of times already. If they'd reduced the spacing just a touch and centered the strings on the fretboard, it would be better.  Plus, the E and B are a little high (the nut wasn't cut quite deep enough), causing those two strings to be out of tune when using chords down near the nut (Dmaj, Amaj, etc).

I doubt that's the scratch and dent problem. That's the Korean Guitar problem.

You might be able to shift the nut or just replace it.  Also sight down the neck and make sure the strings are aligned with the edges.  I looked at several JTV69's and some had the neck set crooked so the strings were not parallel with the neck.  I picked one that was set correctly and my strings don't fall off the neck.

I doubt that's the scratch and dent problem. That's the Korean Guitar problem.

Shouldn't the Korean axes go to Line 6 for QC before being shipped to dealers? If so, that could, indeed, be the s&d problem. If, however, L6 isn't QCing the axes before delivery to dealers, that's a major corporate mal-decision.

You might be able to shift the nut or just replace it.  Also sight down the neck and make sure the strings are aligned with the edges.  I looked at several JTV69's and some had the neck set crooked so the strings were not parallel with the neck.  I picked one that was set correctly and my strings don't fall off the neck.

I just sighted the neck, and it is, indeed, just a wee bit crooked (maybe 1/64th off?), but the problem can, I think, be cured with a new nut. I'll be taking it to a luthier I know. I think I want him to narrow the string spacing just a touch, leave the 6th string placement where it is, keep the depth on the 3rd thru 6th strings as they are, but deepen the cuts for the 1st and 2nd strings. That, IMHO, would make this a beautifully-playing guitar.

Comments?

Shouldn't the Korean axes go to Line 6 for QC before being shipped to dealers? If so, that could, indeed, be the s&d problem. If, however, L6 isn't QCing the axes before delivery to dealers, that's a major corporate mal-decision.

I wouldn't expect any manufacturer to do this sort of thing, honestly. That's typically not how production is done in factories. Usually, factories have a QC department and inspections are done according to the manufacturer's specs. The goods are boxed up at the factories, sent to distributor warehouses, and then sent to dealer. That's the typical supply chain these sorts of things.

I just sighted the neck, and it is, indeed, just a wee bit crooked (maybe 1/64th off?), but the problem can, I think, be cured with a new nut. I'll be taking it to a luthier I know. I think I want him to narrow the string spacing just a touch, leave the 6th string placement where it is, keep the depth on the 3rd thru 6th strings as they are, but deepen the cuts for the 1st and 2nd strings. That, IMHO, would make this a beautifully-playing guitar.

Comments?

Well, here's the problem: how long did it take before you spotted this issue? Last minute quality checks can only do so much. I know on my guitars I haven't always noticed things initially either. You can really only solve these things by making sure your production processes reduce the likelihood of them being there in the first place. My Japanese guitars are waaaaayyyyyy higher production quality than my Korean guitars, including the JTV59. Out of respect for Line 6 I won't go into the manufacturing issues with my JTV59's, but definitely way below Japanese quality, but above Chinese quality. It's a mid-range instrument with expensive electronics.

Is the modeling the same despite the different material/body shape and stuff? Not even a slight difference?

Is the modeling the same despite the different material/body shape and stuff? Not even a slight difference?

I have 4 JTVs...the modeled tones all sound the same (other than having 2.0 in one, 1.9 another, ect)  Strings gauges will make a difference though, but just like on any guitar.

Thru the mag pickups they sound different though.

Well, here's the problem: how long did it take before you spotted this issue? Last minute quality checks can only do so much. I know on my guitars I haven't always noticed things initially either. You can really only solve these things by making sure your production processes reduce the likelihood of them being there in the first place. My Japanese guitars are waaaaayyyyyy higher production quality than my Korean guitars, including the JTV59. Out of respect for Line 6 I won't go into the manufacturing issues with my JTV59's, but definitely way below Japanese quality, but above Chinese quality. It's a mid-range instrument with expensive electronics.

Took a couple o' weeks. Should've taken MUCH less, but was trying to do things I don't normally do (like play lead WAY up the neck), so it took me a while.  You're right: it IS a mid-range axe - I just wasn't thinking that way. You're also right about the quality of production between the various East Asian countries. Just wish L6's "other" factory was Japanese.

I can't speak to the scratch and dents but I got my JTV-89 when Sweetwater was blowing them out at $699.00, but in my opinion that seems like a good price, 1K seems like a fair price and the regular prices seem high. Had the blowout not occurred I wouldn't have one right now, though a scratch and dent might stuff tempt me. Honestly though had the blowout not occurred I would have probably tried the Peavey AT-200 instead. Just my 2 cents but I think they are a smidge over priced and yes I'm taking into consideration the "it's really 29 guitars" argument because who wants 29 guitars with QC issues? At 1.5K for a JTV 59 the quality needs to be on par with a US standard fender or US Gibson that's not a faded (SG standard anyone?) and I don't think that's unreasonable. QC shouldn't be dependent on origin of manufacture, but on employee training. I paid $699.00 for a Japanese Jackson it is was flawless and came with pricey electronics as well (2 duncans and a sustainiac). I can't complain about my JTV-89 even though it could use a pro setup, simply because for what I paid I am very satisfied. 

• Upvote 1

QC shouldn't be dependent on origin of manufacture, but on employee training.

I agree with everything else you wrote, but local culture plays a role in manufacturing. I'm originally from Australia, and we have an expression there: "she'll be right". It means everything will be alright, so don't worry. For years we manufactured cars, and they had lots of problems because the "she'll be right" mentality made its way into the cars. I can't picture "she'll be right" being part of the Japanese culture, which is part of the reason they make flawless guitars. I buy Toyota cars now, although when I want a decent cheaper version, I buy Hyundai's. I don't buy Australian or American cars. There are exceptions of course: Australian and American-made guitars are excellent. Maybe Germany should make guitars too.

I agree with everything else you wrote, but local culture plays a role in manufacturing. I'm originally from Australia, and we have an expression there: "she'll be right". It means everything will be alright, so don't worry. For years we manufactured cars, and they had lots of problems because the "she'll be right" mentality made its way into the cars. I can't picture "she'll be right" being part of the Japanese culture, which is part of the reason they make flawless guitars. I buy Toyota cars now, although when I want a decent cheaper version, I buy Hyundai's. I don't buy Australian or American cars. There are exceptions of course: Australian and American-made guitars are excellent. Maybe Germany should make guitars too.

I actually was thinking of Toyota as an example. I'm not a native Texan (don't tell anyone). About 2 years before I left KY several of my friends took jobs at the Toyota facility in Georgetown Ky. They were very heavily indoctrinated in the culture of Japanese manufacturing and attention to detail. Basically it was "meet our expectations in every way or leave". No one wanted to leave because the pay was so good. Go figure. Cars have a higher profit margin than guitars so maybe that approach isn't reasonable based on the return, but it is possible. Cultures can definitely be imported into a workplace, but you have to offer a pretty good carrot if you are brandishing the rod.

I have just purchased a 69 from Andertons... (scratch and dents?) well... I looked hard everywhere and could not find anything wrong with it, the guitar is NEW! Even on the website it shows "no faults found" attached to the photos. Heavily discounted, had to have one. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Ya, I just purchased my jtv69 as an "open box" special...  The Line6 tape on the box was still in place.   It seems to me that they are trying to move inventory with these specials.  The serial number on my guitar starts with W1111, which means that this guitar was made 2 years ago?   Maybe they are allowing the older build dates to be priced down to get rid of them? 

I can't speak to the scratch and dents but I got my JTV-89 when Sweetwater was blowing them out at $699.00, but in my opinion that seems like a good price, 1K seems like a fair price and the regular prices seem high. Had the blowout not occurred I wouldn't have one right now, though a scratch and dent might stuff tempt me. Honestly though had the blowout not occurred I would have probably tried the Peavey AT-200 instead. Just my 2 cents but I think they are a smidge over priced and yes I'm taking into consideration the "it's really 29 guitars" argument because who wants 29 guitars with QC issues? At 1.5K for a JTV 59 the quality needs to be on par with a US standard fender or US Gibson that's not a faded (SG standard anyone?) and I don't think that's unreasonable. QC shouldn't be dependent on origin of manufacture, but on employee training. I paid $699.00 for a Japanese Jackson it is was flawless and came with pricey electronics as well (2 duncans and a sustainiac). I can't complain about my JTV-89 even though it could use a pro setup, simply because for what I paid I am very satisfied. 

http://www.autotuneforguitar.com/products/products.php?category=Auto-Tune_for_Guitar_Floor_Pedal_1

I see those features are coming in a pedal form to work with all midi guitars..