Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So what's next in firmware update

hideout

You can only guess what will EVER be in an update because Line 6 certainly isn't going to say anything until it comes out.  That's just the way it is.

As I said, I wasn't really asking as I realize that L6 is pretty much mum about such things. I was just voicing my hopes.

didn't they release details before the last main one, about all that bass stuff.. any way i hope and predict for the next one.. no bass stuff!

I think that early release information was a test. Based on the fact that thread went on for like 83 pages and endless "is it here yet, is it here yet, when is it going to be released, why didn't you include ...", I think we failed. Therefore, I bet that won't happen ever again. :)

• Upvote 3

I don't think it was a test. I think DI was just being more helpful and forthcoming on the information than Line 6 is noted for. I hope he didn't get in trouble and it's now policy to do this. We shall see.

I think that early release information was a test. Based on the fact that thread went on for like 83 pages and endless "is it here yet, is it here yet, when is it going to be released, why didn't you include ...", I think we failed. Therefore, I bet that won't happen ever again. :)

You're dead right on the community response, it was a bit disheartening.  Despite this, I hope you're wrong on the last part and the community can be a little more understanding the next time around.  Some people were getting really immature about it. 

You can only guess what will EVER be in an update because Line 6 certainly isn't going to say anything until it comes out.  That's just the way it is.

I think they have more to gain than to lose by "advertising" upcoming firmware. I know im far more apt to buy Helix if i hear one of my favorite amps is coming in an update, as opposed to wondering if anything is going on at all, other than random bug fixes.  A fella trying to decide between an ax8 and Helix hears that more amps or fx are coming, that may be enough to help sway his decision. 

I dont know, i dont see what they have to lose. If they said they were doing a 57champ and didnt get it done then just politely tell people "hey we tried, we just couldnt get that amp done for this update, maybe next one".  Its far better than "no we're not telling"

If L6 doesnt want to give early release notes because they get tired of people asking when its coming out, that would be pretty disappointing, as it would be one of the more shallow and immature things ive heard. Again, nobody is forcing anyone to read these threads.

I don't think it was a test. I think DI was just being more helpful and forthcoming on the information than Line 6 is noted for. I hope he didn't get in trouble and it's now policy to do this. We shall see.

It had something to do with NAMM and the other releases. The software, ect... Definitely not a test.

You're dead right on the community response, it was a bit disheartening.  Despite this, I hope you're wrong on the last part and the community can be a little more understanding the next time around.  Some people were getting really immature about it. 

Nobody is forced to read it. 

Really???  What leads you to think that?  Have you noticed all the constant threads about Helix Native, or the incessant whining about the tuner?  It's kind of like telling a 3 year old you're going to take them to get ice cream "later".  That's about the level of patience we see around here.... :lol:

One thing I can reiterate which I saw on The Gear Page; it was stated outright that the streamlined firmware update process won't happen until "later in the year" and specifically, "Helix Native first" - so it won't come at the same time as Native, but some time after that.

I believe it was Frank R. who posted that in response to a question/comment about that aspect.

2.21 is really worthwhile imho. The Swell delays and stuff are great, and the new Matchless hybrid cabs have become my go-to cab choices.

Certainly almost all things in 2.21 are worthwhile. However, the swell dynamic at least is really not great at all.  Or if it is great, it's great in a very limited way, which makes it not great. Hope they fix this effect. Take a look at the auto volume in the HD for a swell that's great.

• Upvote 1

Certainly almost all things in 2.21 are worthwhile. However, the swell dynamic at least is really not great at all.  Or if it is great, it's great in a very limited way, which makes it not great. Hope they fix this effect. Take a look at the auto volume in the HD for a swell that's great.

I only recently upgraded to 2.21 and was totally surprised at how well the swell effects worked given all I'd read about it.  I guess it all depends on what you're used to, but it worked pretty darn well for me...

I guess my thing is that I'm so happy with the way the Helix sounds at 2.11 that what 2.21 offers holds no real interest for me. At this point I'm counting my blessings.  For once, the grass is definitely not greener on the other side.  :D

Dear forum people...

First of all it`s great to see that I`m not the only one who is eager to see what the guys at Line 6 are cooking for the next firmware. I was afraid of being subject to endless criticism about it and told to spend more time playing rather than asking for more models and effects... On the other hand, and given the fact that the stone was already thrown by someone else... I can`t say I`m not looking forward to seeing the next 2.30 firmware as DI already told us in the 2.20 thread that Ben and Adrian were "neck-deep" modeling new amps and effects models...

Although the Helix is a wonderful signal processor and multi-effects pedal, whose quality, GUI and durability are incomparable with anything else available in the market today... I do believe that its main flaws is the scarce availability of amp models and hi-end effects... Phasing is still a huge problem with only two options, and there are still a couple hi gain amps which I`d love to see included like the Diezels and the Randalls... I have also read that many of you are interested in HX Reverbs with Strymon quality... This has all been voted up in the Ideascale site, but Line 6 has been unable to provide a solution for now.

Nonetheless, I agree with the general concept posted above... Let the Line 6 guys work... Everytime they deliver a new update, there`s always something interesting which improves the overall quality of the product and encourage musicians to keep buying their products to be played in front of live audiences or in te studio.

Greetings to everyone out there.

• Upvote 1

I guess my thing is that I'm so happy with the way the Helix sounds at 2.11 that what 2.21 offers holds no real interest for me. At this point I'm counting my blessings.  For once, the grass is definitely not greener on the other side.  :D

I swear I hear much improved sounds out of the whole system with 2.21.  I could be wrong... but the amps sound more ampy to me... rounder.

As regards to discussing what's in the updates before they are released, being a part of a publicly held company, there are legal rules about what they can and can't announce.  Plus, I think L6 leans on that a little just 'cause, "it's better to under promise and over deliver".  It's better to not have said anything than realize you can't deliver something you "promised" you would because of a problem you find in beta testing.  And it makes it easier to deliver on schedule... that "Agile" thing...

I swear I hear much improved sounds out of the whole system with 2.21.  I could be wrong... but the amps sound more ampy to me... rounder.

As regards to discussing what's in the updates before they are released, being a part of a publicly held company, there are legal rules about what they can and can't announce.  Plus, I think L6 leans on that a litlle just 'cause, "it's better to under promise and over deliver".  It's better to not have said anything than realize you can't deliver something you "promised" you would because of a problem you find in beta testing.

This is a great new term, and one which I intend to help propagate.

If I've missed its use previously somehow, I apologize - but for me, it begins here.

=]

Cheers

• Upvote 1

I'd have to hear that for myself. But the only I'm going to be able to do that is to find someone who has a Helix running 2.21 who would be willing to lend it to me for a few days so I can load a patch or two in it and check it out - A/B it with my Helix running 2.11.  On this 55 square mile island I live on, no one else owns a Helix.  That's ok.  As I said, I'm quite happy with what I've got.

I'd have to hear that for myself. But the only I'm going to be able to do that is to find someone who has a Helix running 2.21 who would be willing to lend it to me for a few days so I can load a patch or two in it and check it out - A/B it with my Helix running 2.11.  On this 55 square mile island I live on, no one else owns a Helix.  That's ok.  As I said, I'm quite happy with what I've got.

You can check it out yourself - if you want to. But it does require a computer, the re-amping capability and time.

Record a dry track - and the result of a patch on 2.11, then upgrade to 2.21 and using the same patch record it again (make sure tempo is the same too).  Then compare the two recorded tracks.

If there are no changes at all then these should be identical and inverting one of the tracks will cancel out completely the other track. Line 6 have regularly said that they do make improvements and optimisations but without specifying what those are.

I always update within a few days of a new release - only waiting long enough for some early adopter to discover if it has a fatal flaw :)

Hah! Just realised why this may not work... often happens just as I press post.

The amp models include Hum from the power supply so to get perfect cancellation you would need to synch the re-amping with the modelled power supply and that is virtually impossible. Perhaps if the Hum parameter is reduced to zero?

Basically, it was NAMM, and we didn't want our only Helix-related news to be Helix Native. Without some sort of bone, you just know the "how'd you forget about US?!" comments from Helix hardware users would've been deafening.

If it weren't for NAMM, we probably would've waited to announce 2.10 until release.

Basically, it was NAMM, and we didn't want our only Helix-related news to be Helix Native. Without some sort of bone, you just know the "how'd you forget about US?!" comments from Helix hardware users would've been deafening.

If it weren't for NAMM, we probably would've waited to announce 2.10 until release.

So............uh..............Is it here yet? Is it here yet? :D  (Just funnin')

You can check it out yourself - if you want to. But it does require a computer, the re-amping capability and time.

Record a dry track - and the result of a patch on 2.11, then upgrade to 2.21 and using the same patch record it again (make sure tempo is the same too).  Then compare the two recorded tracks.

If there are no changes at all then these should be identical and inverting one of the tracks will cancel out completely the other track. Line 6 have regularly said that they do make improvements and optimisations but without specifying what those are.

I always update within a few days of a new release - only waiting long enough for some early adopter to discover if it has a fatal flaw :)

Why would I need to re-amp?  I never re-amp.  I'd hook the other Helix up to computer, load the patches I want, connect both units to my mixer and use an A/B switch to compare the two.

Even if there was a difference I'd bet it's splitting hairs and not worth all the effort.