Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix as USB interface with midi

nipthekitty

Hi all you wonderful Helix users!!

I recently purchased the book "Refining Sound: A practical guide to synthesis and synthesizers" by Brian K. Shepard. I did not know when I made this purchase that the book would come with a fully programmable three oscillator software synthesizer (Crystal). I also have a Korg X5 keyboard synthesizer from about 1995. The Korg does not have a USB connection but does have midi in,out, and thru. I wish to use the Helix as and audio interface with my MacBook Pro to connect the Korg to the Crystal synth as a midi controller. I have the MacBook attached to the Helix via USB and the Helix midi out the the Korg midi in and the Korg midi out to the Helix midi in. I am not very versed in midi and so far have not been able to control the software synth with the keyboard. Is what I am trying to do possible?

Thanks for any insights,

Nip

If the software synth is a standalone; there should be, in something like a preferences section, a way to select what MIDI input it will use. I don't know what the Helix's USB MIDI would be called though. And I'm not sure if the Helix will send MIDI over it's USB. I know it will receive but not so sure about sending. If you can't get it to work, get an M-Audio MIDsport.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/m-audio-usb-uno-1x1-midi-interface?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKEAjwja_JBRD8idHpxaz0t3wSJAB4rXW51KWbn3HDUFc8IOgqAOAbFL6T8cyW1J16ib5GNc9ZWhoCtEPw_wcB&kwid=productads-adid^156717928496-device^c-plaid^137046636762-sku^701379000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA

• Upvote 1

The Helix will send midi over USB. In the Crystal Preferences (or whatever it's called), select the Helix as MIDI input device, OMNI for RECEIVE Channel. Set up the Helix for MIDI THRU. You can set the Helix Base Channel for a different channel than the Korg, or the same Channel, depending on what you're trying to do. That's the easy part. I had a look at the Korg manual, and what it will do depends in part on which version you have X5 or X5D. A quick look thru indicates that it will send most any MIDI required. BUT...you'll have to read the Crystal manual to find out what MIDI messages it requires from the controller to make it do what you want, then read the X5 manual to find out how to send it. HAVE FUN!

NOTE: After you have the hardware connections made, you should probably find a MIDI monitor application, so you can verify that signals are getting thru, and what EXACTLY is getting thru. I know there is one for the MAC, but I don't know what it's called.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the input guys. I have gotten the keyboard to play the synth in the computer as I had described earlier. But I still have a problem. The MacBook will only play the synth thru its built in output. When I open the sound preferences in the MacBook and select Helix (USB) I receive a message that says, "the selected device has no output controls."

As I played around with other settings, I lost audio altogether but the on-screen keyboard (Crystal's software keyboard) was lighting up in response to my playing the Korg.

I know this is a simple solution but there is something I am missing. Thanks again for all of your help.

• 5 months later...

The Helix will send midi over USB. In the Crystal Preferences (or whatever it's called), select the Helix as MIDI input device, OMNI for RECEIVE Channel. Set up the Helix for MIDI THRU. You can set the Helix Base Channel for a different channel than the Korg, or the same Channel, depending on what you're trying to do. That's the easy part. I had a look at the Korg manual, and what it will do depends in part on which version you have X5 or X5D. A quick look thru indicates that it will send most any MIDI required. BUT...you'll have to read the Crystal manual to find out what MIDI messages it requires from the controller to make it do what you want, then read the X5 manual to find out how to send it. HAVE FUN!

NOTE: After you have the hardware connections made, you should probably find a MIDI monitor application, so you can verify that signals are getting thru, and what EXACTLY is getting thru. I know there is one for the MAC, but I don't know what it's called.

if the Helix sends MIDI over its USB jack, do you think it's possible to change patches on a Zoom MS60B Multistomp or TC GTX? According to this thread, in order to do that a MIDI-to-USB host is required, like the Kenton Midi USB Host, but that's for hooking a rudimentary patch changer like the Tech21 MIDI Mouse which only sends signal over DIN5. What I'm trying to find out is if the Helix has a built-in USB host. It seems self-evident but I don't want to destroy two working cables in order to test; USB type-B to mini-B cables aren't easy to come across so I'd splice these two cables for the mentioned purpose —if the Helix sends patch-change messages over USB.

YMarVGK.jpg

You can use MIDIOX as a sort of host by using Port Routing. Here's a screenshot of the way I use the Helix to control a Boss Katana amp, which is not class compliant. Both devices are connected to the computer by USB. You need to have MIDIOX running to make it work.

EDIT: Image removed to recover Attachment Allotment

You can use MIDIOX as a sort of host by using Port Routing. Here's a screenshot of the way I use the Helix to control a Boss Katana amp, which is not class compliant. Both devices are connected to the computer by USB. You need to have MIDIOX running to make it work.

Thanks, I´ll give it a try

Global Settings: MIDI/Tempo:

Page 2.

MIDI over USB on or off.

MIDI PC Receive: off, MIDI, USB, MIDI + USB

MIDI PC Send: Off, MIDI, USB, MIDI + USB

Might be your answer there.

I tried these options but got no response on the MS60B or GTX, that or this cable I soldered didn't work, I can't be sure:

atqbLHv.jpg