Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

any thing in helix you think sucks?

shanecgriffo

In all likelihood the thing you think sucks the most is the one things someone else can't live without.  That's just the way it is.  This is why we all have different likes/dislikes...which makes Helix very useful since it's so versatile.

Sometimes the thing you think sucks turns out to be something you actually like once you figure out the ins and outs of it.  The classic case for me was the LA Compressor.  At first I just didn't get it, then I started figuring out the secrets to using it and now it's my favorite compressor.  So I've learned you never close the book on anything.

There are a few things almost everyone thinks sucks like the firmware update process or the IR management scheme (or lack thereof)

• Upvote 2

only one thing for me really.. the valve driver

has anyone ever used it and been happy with it? i tried it a few times and it just seems to make everything sound harsh and bad

Turn down the treble on the Valve Driver.  A lot.

Also, experiment with boosting the plexi models with the valve driver, but keep the treble at higher values.

• Upvote 1

only one thing for me really.. the valve driver

has anyone ever used it and been happy with it? i tried it a few times and it just seems to make everything sound harsh and bad

I'm amazed there's only one thing!  I use the valve driver for jamming and I like it.  But I don't record with it (too "messy").  I like the Minotaur and Scream 808, sometimes with the mic preamp to get a smoother or crunchy tone for recording.  My biggest complaint with the Helix would be there are too many options (great prob to have)!  I'm a rock/metal player and I use less than half the dist pedals and even fewer of the other effects.  It really depends on the tone/sound you want (obviously).

Valve driver. Interesting you say that. I loved it and used it in every patch in HD 500. Don't like it in Helix as much, but since they have the only two gain pedals I ever need (timmy and klon), I'm good. So do I NOT like it? Can't tell. I like other things so much more that I don't use it so I'll never know...

There are several things I think I liked better in HD 500. Orange amp, wah (but I don't use wah that much and have found one I like). 

But mostly the things I don't like in Helix are things I don't like or use in the real world anyway, like high gain amps and 4 x 12 cabinets.

For me it is the 63 Spring Reverb. I was SO hoping it would have the splash and boing of a real 63 Spring Reverb, but it's not even close. It's ok because I have a vintage Reverb tank and the BOSS 63 Reverb pedal - but still, I like to keep it all in the box....

• Upvote 1

For me it is the 63 Spring Reverb. I was SO hoping it would have the splash and boing of a real 63 Spring Reverb, but it's not even close. It's ok because I have a vintage Reverb tank and the BOSS 63 Reverb pedal - but still, I like to keep it all in the box....

A side note, I've found I can get pretty close to that vintage spring reverb by adding just a touch of fairly rapid delay with a short time duration in a parallel split path to the reverb and play with the mix between the two.  Try it and see if you like it.

A side note, I've found I can get pretty close to that vintage spring reverb by adding just a touch of fairly rapid delay with a short time duration in a parallel split path to the reverb and play with the mix between the two.  Try it and see if you like it.

Cool.  I'll give it a shot!

Sucks? Not really, however there are some areas that they could have some real improvements.

Multiple merge points per path.

HX reverbs.

Better IR management.

More mic positions on HX cabs.

Signal metering, and clipping lights.

A few more vocal FX.

The usb drivers wouldn't hurt from some stability improvements.

But I dont think much of anything in the Helix sucks.

I like the Valve driver, but I use it pretty specifically with the plexi models for the soaring Eric Johnson style leads. I haven't tried it with every amp but it wasn't my favorite option when paired with the Mail Order Twin, my usal go to amp model. I usually find myself using the minotaur or 808 with fender-ish stuff. 

Operational stability and more streamlined update would be top on my list of improvements. With more streamlined update, we could perhaps have more frequent and smaller release updates. This would include better (name-based, not indexed based) IR management. I've had Helix hang on me twice during a live performance over the last year. That's not too bad, and likely similar to issues with other gigging options. But better stability would be welcome.

• Upvote 2

One or two things for me- L6-Link. Same port, with the same "TradeMarked" name as what's in an HD series, but way different control wise.

IR management (there isn't any now).

Oh yea, and no tuner for my editor...

• Upvote 1

I have already expressed my humble opinion about the Helix main flaws... Basically lacks Diezel and Randall models... But the suckiest thing is the Deluxe Phaser... Sounds like a trapped mockingbird begging to get out of the cage... Wee wee... Wee wee... And the Dynamix Flanger has a lot of parameters and it's difficult to tweak... Deluxe Phaser hands down shouldn't be in Helix... Hope the guys refurbish it someday...

great info.. i'll try the driver with a plexi, i was trying it with more the fender type models and didn't suit to my tastes

That should do it for you.  The tube driver in real life doesn't work for me as a stand alone pedal on a mid scooped super clean amp.  I find it works better as a boost for more midrangy amp already on the edge, like a wound up Marshall.

Not crazy about most of the flangers/ phasers. Escpecially phasers. Love to see a few new models there.. and the update process!!

Finally someone shares my opinion about the phasers... I like the flangers, though. The Gray and the Harmonic Flangers sound beautiful.

• Downvote 1

Yes flangers are better. I had a electric mistress as a kid, and do alot of police material. Its very useful and fairly accurate as well. Need a better phase for sure! There was one in my X3 that was awesome. Cant remember which off top of head..

I'm a flanger-hater. Always have been... but... that Harmonic Flanger set real subtle is to die for! Try modulating a reverb with it. HOO boy... (I know, supposed to be stuff I hate, but there's so much I love!)

• Upvote 2

Inability to update the Helix firmware using an Android Smartphone or Android Tablet, both of which work great with a USB OTG adapter and other USB devices. And, both Android devices have plenty of processor capacity and SD Card memory to handle the Firmware, and Updater download and installation process. Heck, even the Helix Editor (essentially a slaved App for the Helix) should be operational via the USB OTG connection to these devices. The massive global proliferation of Android Mobile devices, and the looming Ban expansion of Laptops on USA bound International Flights should be more impetus for Line 6 to provide such functionality for Helix owners.

• Like 1

All the wahs and how they are activated.  I'll probably put my Bad Horse on my Helix board.  So far there are four things I haven't been able to give up:  Mobius, Polytune, Drop, and a wah.

The onboard wahs are passable, but completely uninspiring.  I much prefer the spring return in my Horsie,  No toe switch to worry about.  I know you can configure the expression pedal to activate the wah, but it doesn't auto return.  So I either have to rock all the way forward and smash the pedal (what is it with the force required to activate the toe switch?  Really?), or I have to rock it all the way back and hope that I don't bump it taking my foot off (while thrashing and looking fabulous).  

Tuner. Compressors are only ok in my opinion. Otherwise, I love this thing.

Really, what about the Compressors could be improved, in your opinion? I mean, I wouldn't mind if they included some others like the SlideRig, Barber TonePress or the Pigtronix one but I have no issues with the ones that we already have.