Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix vs Headrush - Patch Switching

berrdaniel

Snapshots were always in the plan. They were not tacked on.

In fact, the reason we haven't yet implemented certain features—or more to the point, the reason why Helix does certain things in a certain way—is all because of future plans. We're very careful to not design ourselves into a corner.

Could you please elaborate on those *ways and *plans? I'm very intrigued. During the course of this discussion I bought a Helix (still waiting for it to arrive). I found it trustworthy that a firmware update with an improvement as significant as Snapshots could be rolled out after launch; something I could never expect from Roland. back in the GT10 days I learned to never change a patch mid-song, instead to exploit programming and stacking assigns. I outgrew Roland's crummy midi implementation and moved on to an HD500X.

on that note: do snapshots transmit PC (Program Change) data over MIDI, or do those only work on a patch-switching basis? I'm migrating from the Pod which acts as the brain of a rig based on patch-syncing devices on a MIDI matrix.

Could you please elaborate on those *ways and *plans? I'm very intrigued. During the course of this discussion I bought a Helix (still waiting for it to arrive). I found it trustworthy that a firmware update with an improvement as significant as Snapshots could be rolled out after launch; something I could never expect from Roland.

Unfortunately, we can't talk about specific things that are coming up. Sometimes we don't even know exactly what's next, because there are a lot of constantly moving parts that force us to make changes at the last minute. If someone happens to interpret something we write as a "promise", we can get into trouble. Plus, there's one competitor that seems to pay very close attention to Helix and where Helix is going (no, not Cliff...); no point in giving them a head start.

do snapshots transmit PC (Program Change) data over MIDI, or do those only work on a patch-switching basis? I'm migrating from the Pod which acts as the brain of a rig based on patch-syncing devices on a MIDI matrix.

In the Command Center, if you assign a MIDI PC message to an Instant command (lightning bolt icon), and its value changes from snapshot to snapshot, the message will be sent. If the value is the same from snapshot to snapshot, the message will not be sent.

Could you please elaborate on those *ways and *plans? I'm very intrigued. During the course of this discussion I bought a Helix (still waiting for it to arrive). I found it trustworthy that a firmware update with an improvement as significant as Snapshots could be rolled out after launch; something I could never expect from Roland. back in the GT10 days I learned to never change a patch mid-song, instead to exploit programming and stacking assigns. I outgrew Roland's crummy midi implementation and moved on to an HD500X.

on that note: do snapshots transmit PC (Program Change) data over MIDI, or do those only work on a patch-switching basis? I'm migrating from the Pod which acts as the brain of a rig based on patch-syncing devices on a MIDI matrix.

You can send up to six instant commands per snapshot if you want. Some or all of those can be MIDI PCs... I use Instant Commands to change presets on two Strymon pedals per snapshot. It's very cool...

Sounds reasonable, I can finally see how some people would prefer the Headrush and value a distinctly simpler and effective offering. I'm guessing that Line6 tacked-on the concept of Snapshots after release (not so much to solve a shortcoming but) as a means to rethink switching in a clever and equally effective way —and also to steer people away from changing patches. 

I think it remains to be seen whether or not the Headrush is an "effective offering" for the discerning ear and user. It may simply turn out to be an alternative if top quality sound and flexibility are not your priorities. As DI stated, snapshots were not a mechanism to steer people away from changing presets but instead always a part of the plan and part of the bigger picture of allowing the user to leverage max hardware resources within a preset. The Helix still appears to me to provide the best compromise of quality and choices.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 7/26/2017 at 4:19 AM, CraigGT said:

If I wasn't a guitarist I'd be thinking

"Bloody guitarists, can't even keep quiet for 150mS" :-)

Craig

FUNNY - i just got the Headrush.

1. Bought it for the easy of use

2. Have had many and still do Line6 gear

3. The effects on the HR sound great but are limited out of the box

4. Did not buy it for modeling - I have a solid sounding 3 channel amp

5. It does have a bit of hum

6. Patch switching is quick (non-technical assessment) 

7. The tablet interface (ease of use) is by far essential for me

i cannot say if the HR is better than the Helix or other modelers of today but its bybfar a better floor unit and again - easy to use.