Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Should I try FRFR?

CraigGT

So far I've used my Helix with my Schertler acoustic guitar amp and my DT-25 using L6 link and direct into the effects return but it's my turn to look after the band's van for a while (I don't play guitar in the band).

Anyway in the van are 4 QSC K12's, 2 QSC K subs, 2 Alto 112's and 2 Alto 115's!

It could all get a bit Spinal Tap 😀

Craig

It certainly would introduce you to some different aspects of the Helix, that's for sure.  It might be a bit overwhelming at first because that environment is probably going to be VERY different than what you're used to.  However if you're patient and figure out how to get a great tone out of it you'll be miles ahead in knowing how to use all the tools and techniques in the Helix to craft your tone.

So far I've used my Helix with my Schertler acoustic guitar amp and my DT-25 using L6 link and direct into the effects return but it's my turn to look after the band's van for a while (I don't play guitar in the band).

Anyway in the van are 4 QSC K12's, 2 QSC K subs, 2 Alto 112's and 2 Alto 115's!

It could all get a bit Spinal Tap 😀

Craig

If you've already used it with an acoustic guitar amp, while that unit might not technically be FRFR, it's guaranteed to be a whole lot closer to true FRFR than the DT...if it didn't have a wider frequency range, it would be useless for amplifying acoustic guitar. In practical terms, and depending on the unit you choose to compare it with, you may not notice much of a difference between that acoustic amp and something's that's "real" FRFR.

The band will allow it, I'm not sure about my wife though :D

If you do try a pair, be sure to start a preset from scratch. Just drop in your favorite amp model, cab model, and maybe a reverb/delay in between and see how it sounds without making any tweaks. 

I am on a much lower budget and play though a pair of JBL Eon 610s at home, but our church setup is all QSC for mains/subs.

Definitely worth a try! You get a lot of tonal flexibility with multiple cab and mic options (assuming you didn't use cab blocks when going out to an amp). Setting up stereo effects is always fun at home too. I'd say you owe it to yourself to hear Helix through an FRFR setup! 

I think my personal budget is more a single TS212 but it seems silly to not try a pair of K12's while they're readily available.

Craig

Then try a single Alto 112 that you have available as well. Lot's of people here are very happy with their TS212 with Helix.