Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix into Mixing Desk

localhero

Hi Everyone,Can you answer me a simple question please as this is driving me nuts.

Im going from Line out on the helix (L&R) into ZEDR16 A&H Firewire Desk (2 channels Panned l&r) which then goes straight to pc.(FLAT eq on the desk) (Globals set to Multi Out).

I'm finding that every amp seems to sound the same and to me the sound is quite flat.

I have tried usb but this only works for me when going straight into DAW for recording as signal better not for when playing along with backing tracks from the pc.

Are there any settings that Im missing here?,Im using patches that I've purchased from well known and good guys.

I Have tried with all my guitars but everything sounds samey. I know us guitarists are extremely fussy when it comes to sound so hopefully you'll take compassion on me ;-)

Wow, to me the amps all sound so different! have you tried going direct USB into your computer instead of through the mixer? That way you'll at least see if that mixer is doing something wacky to your sound.

Wow, to me the amps all sound so different! have you tried going direct USB into your computer instead of through the mixer? That way you'll at least see if that mixer is doing something wacky to your sound.

I have used usb straight for recording to test and the sound then comes back through the firewire via a stereo pair.

Im convinced I have something not set correctly on global.I have used my gt100 and that sounds great so doubt it is the mixer,as playback is superb.

When i hear other people use helix it sounds amazing,I think its back to the manual.

You say the USB works for recording but not for playing along with tracks?  Try hooking your monitors up to the Helix as well and run the USB to the computer using the Helix as your audio card.  I agree with Peter, something it getting lost in the translation through the mixer.  I have my Helix at the center of my recording setup with a USB to the computer and the monitors (and headphones) coming out of the Helix and it sounds perfect both in recording and playing along with tracks.

You say the USB works for recording but not for playing along with tracks?  Try hooking your monitors up to the Helix as well and run the USB to the computer using the Helix as your audio card.  I agree with Peter, something it getting lost in the translation through the mixer.  I have my Helix at the center of my recording setup with a USB to the computer and the monitors (and headphones) coming out of the Helix and it sounds perfect both in recording and playing along with tracks.

Thanks for reply as well.Yep it does work for both recording and playback,although Id rather use the lines in when not going into daw due to volume differences between tracks/ Helix etc.

My monitors are linked up to the helix although i am not using as audio card i am using the A&H ZED R16 Firewire desk and monitors are linked to the the  desk.Could the fact that Im not using helix as an audio card make that difference?

I run my Helix through a mixing board similar to yours, Presonus Studio Live, and I don't notice it sounding flat. You could try to plug in headphones to the helix directly and then plug them into your board and compare.  Also, with these fancy mixing boards you could have a compressor, reverb etc. enabled.

Just some thoughts

Thanks for reply as well.Yep it does work for both recording and playback,although Id rather use the lines in when not going into daw due to volume differences between tracks/ Helix etc.

My monitors are linked up to the helix although i am not using as audio card i am using the A&H ZED R16 Firewire desk and monitors are linked to the the  desk.Could the fact that Im not using helix as an audio card make that difference?

This is why I use the Helix as the audio card.  I can get the guitar level I want in the recording just by adjusting the master volume.  It makes it a WHOLE lot easier to get what I want.  I used to use a separate interface when I had my HD500X for a while, but found that having that direct connection from the Helix made everything so much easier.  I have a separate patch for the keyboard, for the bass, and for the vocal mic.  All I have to do is select the patch and I'm ready to record.  With the Helix Editor it makes all of that very simple.

To me the simplest way is the best way not to introduce anomalies or weird artifacts into the mix.

This is why I use the Helix as the audio card.  I can get the guitar level I want in the recording just by adjusting the master volume.  It makes it a WHOLE lot easier to get what I want.  I used to use a separate interface when I had my HD500X for a while, but found that having that direct connection from the Helix made everything so much easier.  I have a separate patch for the keyboard, for the bass, and for the vocal mic.  All I have to do is select the patch and I'm ready to record.  With the Helix Editor it makes all of that very simple.

To me the simplest way is the best way not to introduce anomalies or weird artifacts into the mix.

Thanks a lot for that Im going to give this a try as the sound tthrough headphones sound great.

Thanks for the advice Peter.

I run my Helix through a mixing board similar to yours, Presonus Studio Live, and I don't notice it sounding flat. You could try to plug in headphones to the helix directly and then plug them into your board and compare.  Also, with these fancy mixing boards you could have a compressor, reverb etc. enabled.

Just some thoughts

Thanks for Advice.