Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Deleting factory pre-sets to free up space

telecustom88

Probably a very basic question but I'm a new HD 500x owner.  I'm seeing a lot of mentions on the board here about running out of DSP space.  There are a lot of the factory pre-sets on there that are basically useless to me so I'm wondering (and I assume this has to be possible) if you can just delete presets that you'll never need (the ones with bizarre sounds not really functional musically).  I haven't seen anything in the manual yet because I imagine they don't want people deleting pre-sets but is this an easy process?? Seems like the best way to give yourself plenty of headroom and space as you add your own patches and customize pre-sets.

Thanks!

No that will not increase DSP. DSP is dependent upon how much processing a patch the "brain" has to do. Patches in memory basically sit there requiring no DSP.

Edit: Let me add that a pedal like the Zoom MS/CDR series ran in the loop can offload and free up mucho DSP.

You can't 'delete' a preset. You overwrite it with an 'empty' one (with all amps/FX removed from the signal path). But replacing presets with empty ones does not gain you and DSP improvement; they are totally separate things.

DSP is like RAM. It is an available amount of memory to run a task. 

But, unlike RAM, when you run our of DSP, it doesn't get "augmented" by the harddrive. When you are out of DSP, that's it. 

And, as said before, you gain nothing by "deleting" a patch. In fact, it is a 0 sum gain. The HD500 saves a file with x-amount of slots. It doesn't change file size if that slot is filled with delay, or distortion, or it could even be filled with "available". 

It is much like a house --- it takes up 4500sq ft regardless of whether or not there are walls and room and furniture inside. 

I think the quickest way is to download a fresh EDIT even an older version, open without
ever connecting to HD and you get blank 'new tone' only and factory presets. Save a preset of blank tones.
Go to the preset page and select a whole set list of blank new tones from a user setlist
drag and drop over each factory preset. Save as a bundle."completely empty"
Or with existing EDIT just make one set list blank 'new tone's and select drag and drop on each other set list
till all blanks and save as a bungle. But save Setlist bundle as "completely blank" and import as needed.

Then connect HD - open EDIT and SAVE what you got.on your HD under file save bundle.
Open bundle and load in the completely blank sets lists bundle
Send All to the HD
Done and one very good reason to use EDIT