Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking to get Helix as backup to Axe Fx

shawnt113

So I am thinking of getting a Helix as a back up for my Fractal Axe Fx II. Ive got several recording recording projects starting next month that will carry me well into 2018. I want to be able to leave my AF2 in my home studio set up make it easy to jump into work when inspiration strikes. I play almost every weekend between my coverband and praise at church. I'm a long time Line 6 user, I still own about 5 different products so I know the quality is good yet I havent been able to find good clips of the amp models I am most interested in, but what I am really curious about are some functional things. 1st is with my current set up (Fractal controlled by Voodoo Labs GCP) which allows me to turn on/off  8 fx blocks per preset, it looks like with the Helix floor units I can only turn on or off 4 fx blocks per preset while still being able to quickly switch presets. Does anyone know of a work around? Also with my current set up I am able to use 1 expression pedal for multiple functions within the same preset, mostly I have Wah/Whammy they both are on all the time, when I move my expression pedal (Mission EP-1 w/the spring option) both blocks automatically engages and one of my switches on my GCP tells the mixer block to route the signal either to the wah or whammy. I am also able to set up X/Y amps that in most of my presets works to act like a channel switch on the modeled amp, is there an ability to do this on the Helix with out changing presets? Something else I would be interested in is running the unit in the 4 cable method, how do the floor versions perform in this way? Are there any special surprises? Lastly for now at least, what are the real reasons, if any, to get the Helix over the Helix LT?

Thanks guys for your help!!!

I'm not sure where you've been getting your information about switching fx blocks but to my knowledge there's never been a 4 fx limit on the Helix.  Even prior to snapshots functionality you could always assign up to 8 fx blocks to a single stomp button.  With snapshots it became even more capable with the ability to control up to 64 blocks.  Of course I may not be completely understanding what you're wanting to do, but maybe you should download the current Helix manual which is availble to anyone via the Support section of this site to get a better understanding of the functional limits on such things.

I got both units (helix and AFXIi XL +.). You will be able to to just about anything in snapshots that you could in Scenes except for x/y functions. I'm not clear if you can get the same functionality from your Mission pedal on Helix, but probably so. if you are familiar with Fremen's presets for FAS, you may find using his Helix presets (especially his 4-snapshots) as a comfortable transition to start. You are likely aware that your amp/cab/fx choices will not be nearly as extensive with Helix, but for gigging and church , you will find it pretty easy to find tones that will satisfy you, and between the new excellent firmwares and the ease of tweaking the unit, both on the hardware and software editor, IMO makes up for the lessened palette . The diff between helix and LT is in the number of in/outs and the lack of scribble strips for each foot switch, identical inall sonic aspects. Best o luck in your quest.

...also I should note that the lack of xy functions can be mitigated by the ability to to use multiple instances of any block (up to the CPU limit) and turn them on/off as needed thru snapshots or foot switches.

Hidden in the number of in/outs comment is the types of in/outs as well, such as LT doesn't have a mic in, etc. etc.

Also, since you are big into recording... Helix Native will be released shortly.  This may be an advantage for you; and for Helix owners, it's cost will be $99, for LT $299.  Half the difference in cost right there.  Native means you can set up presets and play/process through them on your computer without a Helix handy.  At least that's my understanding.  I imagine there are more uses...

1st is with my current set up (Fractal controlled by Voodoo Labs GCP) which allows me to turn on/off  8 fx blocks per preset, it looks like with the Helix floor units I can only turn on or off 4 fx blocks per preset while still being able to quickly switch presets.

This is how I have my Helix set. The top four buttons control individual effects in the preset. The bottom four buttons let me switch snapshots within the preset. So if you want access to the snapshots then yes, you only have four buttons for effects left. You can assign more than one effect to a button. So you can turn more than one on and off together. But that would be the only way to increase the number of effects you can control and still have access to changing snapshots.

I got both units (helix and AFXIi XL +.). You will be able to to just about anything in snapshots that you could in Scenes except for x/y functions.

While HX doesn't have X/Y, snapshot controllers allow for parameter changes just like X/Y, just not FX model changes.  On the plus side, snapshot controllers allow for R/S/T/U/V/W/X/Y functions (one per snapshot). :)  Also, since IR selection is handled as a parameter rather than a "model", snapshot parameters do allow for different IRs per snapshot within a single IR block.

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of good information here. Thank you all for the help. I think I can find ways around most every functional obstable, one thing I haven't been able to figure out is this: on my Axe FX the blocks have an auto on function that if you have it tied to an expression pedal as soon as the pedal moves the FX block comes out of bypass mode then returns to bypass mode when the controller goes back to "0". This is great as I have a mission expression pedal with the spring that I use for whammy and wah. When I take my foot off it goes back to heal down and turns off.

Does the Helix have this ability?

Also, I am sure this is covered ad nauseam but what's the sound quality in comparison to the AF 2? I've checked out several YouTube videos that are not good, the presentation or the comparison is done poorly. I like that I know 95% or better of the models in my AF 2 are better than 95% as close to the real thing. So when I dial up the amp it's the next best thing. I know it's an annoying question but, I'm curious if it has the sonic ability to replace my AF 2 all together.

Lots of good information here. Thank you all for the help. I think I can find ways around most every functional obstable, one thing I haven't been able to figure out is this: on my Axe FX the blocks have an auto on function that if you have it tied to an expression pedal as soon as the pedal moves the FX block comes out of bypass mode then returns to bypass mode when the controller goes back to "0". This is great as I have a mission expression pedal with the spring that I use for whammy and wah. When I take my foot off it goes back to heal down and turns off.

Does the Helix have this ability?

There is an auto-engage that was added in one of the most recent firmwares, but I never figured out how to get it working to my satisfaction. I'm sure you'll get some helpful comments here.

Also, I am sure this is covered ad nauseam but what's the sound quality in comparison to the AF 2? I've checked out several YouTube videos that are not good, the presentation or the comparison is done poorly. I like that I know 95% or better of the models in my AF 2 are better than 95% as close to the real thing. So when I dial up the amp it's the next best thing. I know it's an annoying question but, I'm curious if it has the sonic ability to replace my AF 2 all together.

This is beyond subjective, but I had an AX8 twice, and both times....the Helix pulled me back and made me send it packing. Fractal models sound great, but there is just a huge range of sounds available with the current lineup. The "sound quality" is there.