Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Two amps, one with effects loop, one without

rnelson40

I am about to get my Helix delivered (tomorrow).....very excited to try it out.  I run a Marshall JVM410h into an Avatar G412 cab and it has an effects loop.  My other amp is a Fender Deluxe Reverb that does not have an effects loop.  From what I can gather, going from Helix into the front of the amp doesn't work so well, so how do I best utilize Helix with this setup?

SIAP......

Helix works fantastically in the front end of an amp, it is just a matter of what you are trying to achieve. Many of the tones Helix users are trying to achieve are of some of their favorite artists whose rigs did not have effects loops either. 

You can run 4cm into your Marshall so you can run effects in its loop (on path 1), and also run into the front end of your Fender (on path 2). There are enough outputs to accommodate both.You can switch between them or run them at the same time. (Eric Johnson is famous for his Marshall/Fender combination)  

You can search some of the artist's rigs in the link below to get you in the directly you may want to achieve. 

http://line6.com/tone-templates/

Fun little thought for those who run Helix along with amps that have no FX loop.  You can always mic the amp and send it back into Helix for post FX.  

Very interesting.  Put two small pa speakers left and right and have a Wet Dry Wet setup.

Very interesting.  Put two small pa speakers left and right and have a Wet Dry Wet setup.

I also like the idea that you would have your preferred mic always ready to go, and your just handing the front of house xlr cables.

I must be missing something here.....I set my Marshall up in 4CM but I'm not accomplishing what I want to do.....here is my setup:

Marshall JVM410h (with FX Loop) going into a 4X12 Avatar cab

Fender Deluxe Reverb (no FX Loop)

Helix Rack

Pedals (Wah=>Sparkle OD=>Simble OD=>Volume)

The way I understand it is, if I have my pedals going from Send1=>1st pedal=>last pedal=>Receive1 and I'm wanting to use one of the Factory Presets, I have to go into the preset and add a send and return for Send1/Receive1 if I want to use both the Preset AND my pedals.....or the other option is to plug my guitar into my pedals loop first and then out the pedals loop and into the Guitar Input of the Helix.  Is that correct?  If so, that would mean going into every preset in Helix and adding a Send1/Return1 to every Preset?

How would I be able to play a preset AND my pedals going into the Fender which has no FX loop?

Sorry for the newbie questions.