Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Should I buy Helix or Helix LT

Geppedo

Hey guys,

So I'm pretty set on purchasing a Helix, I'm just torn between the original or the new LT. The price of the LT is pretty attractive, I would just like to know in more detail what I would be sacrificing.

I would use the Helix for recording as well as playing live, so I have a few questions.

1. I would like to use multiple external stompboxes (ricochet, super ego, various Earthquaker devices pedals) I can't imagine using more than 3 external pedals so I was wondering what guys thought is the better option.

2. I currently own a Vox AC30C2 and am worried about the difference in tone when either practicing or playing live. I want my sound to be as close to my recordings as possible so what would my options be? 4cm vs FRFR or other speaker options. If I went with the 4cm, would I sacrifice using a few external stompboxes?

Cheers

Get the Full Helix.

In response to your Question 1., the Full Helix Four FX Sends and Returns will gaive you the flexibility to run your external Pedals however you may wish. Also you will have the additional Aux Guitar In, for use if you prefer to you any of your external pedals in front of the Helix (other than by using the Main Guitar In).

Regarding your Question 2., the Full Helix will accomdate running your Vox in 4cm, and you will still have Three (3) FX Loops available.

Although the Helix LT does cost less, for your scenario, the Full Helix's additional I/O capacity is what would seem to better suit your needs.

Not to mention the added savings you'll get when Helix Native is released.  With full Helix, it'll cost $99.  With LT I think it is $299.  Given you seem to do a lot of recording, you can justify most of the cost difference right there.

If you want to use the mic pre for a vocal chain, and get benefit of the 4 external loops to place extra pedals and expand your rig and not get limited to just the Helix, the full version is for you.

You can get a used full helix or open box and save 300 or so.

Good luck!

I use the Helix both for recording and for live performances.  I briefly considered buying a Helix LT to be used as a dedicated recording interface and a backup to my live performance Helix, but dismissed it due to the fact it didn't have all the same inputs as the Helix does, and I'm glad I did.  I've been recording for more than 20 years at this point and I've never had a rig that was as quick and easy to use in the studio than the Helix.  I leave my mic, keyboard, bass, and guitar all hooked up to the Helix each with their own dedicated preset.  All I have to do to record vocals is select that preset from my Helix Editor and I'm ready to record.  Same with bass, guitar, or keyboard.  It makes the workflow incredibly easy and fast.

As far as your 2nd point of matching the sound of your recordings I think that defines the solution.  That's precisely what FRFR rigs do.  They match the sound of a studio control room more than matching the sound of a live amp.  Your recordings are not listened to on an amp, they're listened to on speakers that are more or less FRFR.  If you want to precisely match THAT sound, then use FRFR.  It may take some tweaking to find the exact same recorded sound using the same type of amp, cab, mic, and mic placement, but you should have all the things you need to precisely match the elements that were involved in your recording either using the stock cabs or IR's and all the same effects.

If you want to run all of those analog effects in separate chains you want the full floor unit, plus you can name the FX loops and read what you are stepping.   Also you can switch in or past your Vox preamp in 4cm (or add another amp for a 7cm in stereo) and easily run a bunch of pedal loops, the Vox in 4cm, an FRFR, and go into a mixing board/computer/PA at the same time.