Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help request: UX2 not working at all with XLR input and POD farm 2

Hello everyone, I hope this is getting posted in the correct place. And I​'ll try keep this as brief as possible:

So I've just bought a Pod studio UX2 and an audio technica AT2035, both of which were second hand. Problem is I connect everything up (with all drivers installed) and as you can see by the photos the front indicators on the UX2 are maxed out but all you can hear is like white noise and clicking during any recordings. All my settings are included in photos, I am basically using the exact same settings as a YouTube video I have seen. Oh and if I pull the microphone XLR out then the UX2 still shows there being some kind of input.

Oh and I've tried testing for continuity in the XLR cable and it seems fine, Ive tried 3 different computers which had the operating systems of Windows 7, Windows 10 and Mac OS Sierra and none of them work, they all seem to have the same problem. Note that I haven't bought a licence to pod farm yet as I want to make sure it will actually work before I spend any money.

Afew more details requested by 'Triryche' 

I am not monitoring the UX2, I record then playback the recording to just hear white noise. I am currently waiting for an adapter to arrive so I can use normal headphones, in terms of DAW's I have tried audacity and garage band, both have the same problem. Phantom power is turned on.

I know I'm probably doing something wrong so if someone could point out what I would greatly appreciate it. I am very new to all this with no prior experience   :)

post-2559682-0-60136700-1496333694_thumb.png

post-2559682-0-64310100-1496333709_thumb.png

post-2559682-0-41824600-1496333726_thumb.png

post-2559682-0-09497500-1496333743_thumb.png

Thanks for the quick reply Triryche I will answer your questions in order (and then edit my initial post to reflect these facts):

1. I am not monitoring the UX2, I am currently waiting for an adapter to arrive so I can use normal headphones,

2.  I have tried audacity and garage band, both have the same problem,

3. Yes phantom power is on, the red light for 48V is lit

If you are trying to monitor via your computer speakers that is not the proper workflow.

In Garageband are you selecting the UX2 as your input/output device?

If so, try recording something even if you do not hear it, then change the input/output to the Mac's sound card and play it back to see if you are capturing a signal.

Audacity does not support ASIO out of the box. You can however compile it to support ASIO, look on their site.

• Upvote 1

At the moment I'm just trying to get something recorded then listening to the recordings by playing them back, I am not trying to use my pc speakers as monitors, I can't record anything at all yet. I recorded then exported from garage band and all I had on the recording was white noise And you can see my settings for garage band . Also my room is completely silent. Thanks for the advice about audacity, I didn't know that

If you need any more screenshots let me know

post-2559682-0-09898000-1496408385_thumb.png

Hi,  Sorry to ask more about your setup but wondered if you were playing back the exported audio with the same computer. I just wondered if somehow your computer's own soundcard setting has been affected by the ux2 - and therefore playback is not happening through the soundcard. Is your soundcard playing other files/youtube ok?

God Bless,

David

P.S. When you record, is there anything visually showing up in the track being recorded? A waveform?

• Upvote 1

Not at all, I am a newbie and trying to learn off you guys so didn't really know what information would be useful to you all. So I have tryied playing the file on both PC and mac and yes youtube and everything else works perfectly.

There is no real wavefile as you can see by the first photo, just had a breakthrough of sorts though: before there was no audio just high pitched buzzing when recording, however I decided to see what would happen if I turned off podfarm and recorded directly in garage band, I found that there was still crackling and high pitched buzzing but I could hear what I had said and got some waveforms to show up! Im hoping that this means it is not a hardware issue, I've been very concerned that my UX2 or AT2035 were broken. 

What does all this mean ??

Thanks for your response hulbert I really appreciate the help

post-2559682-0-99036700-1496429010_thumb.png

and now thats also stopped working but now there are waveforms that are just high pitched buzzing (without podfarm open), ive noticed that if I pull my microphone out the front indicators on my UX2 still flicker about the halfway point, could this be a cable issue??

SOLVED IT

So I've had to come back to my old house to clean out the last few things, theres none of my tech here except my laptop and UX2, guess what, it works perfectly. I dont know why but I assume the UX2 is not very well shielded and something I own was causing interference? Does anyone have a clue what it could have been?? 

Hi, Sorry it took so long to see your message and reply. That's interesting about your situation. I would think that if it was interference then there should be some of your voice appearing in the recordings. So, it sounds like it may be something else - or interference 'and' something else.

I sometimes get my cable slightly knocked and it starts a pulsing noise in my speakers and outputted sound is distorted and weakened. It'd be good to know if intereference changes the situation again. I get interference when playing guitar but that's because of the pickups selected on the guitar and if I'm close to my computer monitor. When I record from a mic I (apart from noise from a mic problem I have) don't get interference - but I suppose it just depends on electrical equipment around you.

God bless,

David

• 5 months later...

I have had to unplug the ux2 from time to time and that fixed the noise, I also go to the audio set up and change it from 44khz to 48, it switches back to 44 on its own and that clears it up. with reason 9 I set it to 48khz and it works fine after that. The problem I have now is that with high seria it does not work now. I have tried to install all the drivers and restart many times, it says that is for the ux2 and HS. it just blinks now......