Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is it possible to have 'snapshot' as the default value of all controllers?

LutherDeLorme

I have the Helix LT for almost a week now, and I am tweaking parameters a lot. Constantly manually setting the controller to 'snapshot'. I am thinking : my workflow would really benefit when all the controllers of all parameters by default have the value 'snapshot'. Is that possible? The default value now is 'none'.

EDIT: hmmm...I read in the manual that each preset can have maximum of 64 controlller assignments. So that can be a problem. Hmm....but perhaps someone knows a trick to fastly assign multiple controllers to the value 'snapshot' ......but I guess not.....the maximum of 64 is a problem.....now, if anyone has some thoughts about it, happy to hear it.

I'm not sure I understand why it's necessary to set the controller to snapshot if your tweaking parameters a lot.  That sounds more like you're just adjusting a preset.  Snapshots are only really meant for complex or detailed mass changes in a preset.  Or am I missing something?

On the unit itself, you just press and turn the knob underneath the parameter to assign it to a snapshot controller. In the editor, it's very fast as well. The shortcuts are:

- Snapshot Assign Shortcut—OPTION-click (Mac) or ALT-click (PC) any Home screen parameter to quickly assign its value to the Snapshots controller

- Unassign Controller Shortcut—SHIFT-OPTION-click (Mac) or SHIFT-ALT-click (PC) any Home screen parameter to instantly remove any controller assignment

I'm not sure I understand why it's necessary to set the controller to snapshot if your tweaking parameters a lot. That sounds more like you're just adjusting a preset. Snapshots are only really meant for complex or detailed mass changes in a preset. Or am I missing something?

Well, I like to make snapshots where the parameters of the same effect/amp have different values from one snapshot to the other. For instance: set the drive of the amp at a higher level in snapshot 2, or set the mix of a delay at a higher level. You need to set the controller of that parameter to 'snapshot' or else when you change a paramater that change will be for every snapshot in a preset. With setting the controller to 'snapshot' you can set a unique value for that parameter in a particular snapshot.

I don't know if you knew this already, but if you did knew this then I don't understand what you don't understand about my post :)

So I am not adjusting presets, I am adjusting snapshots within a preset.

And I do that a lot, so I am looking for ways to make my workflow faster.

On the unit itself, you just press and turn the knob underneath the parameter to assign it to a snapshot controller. In the editor, it's very fast as well. The shortcuts are:

- Snapshot Assign Shortcut—OPTION-click (Mac) or ALT-click (PC) any Home screen parameter to quickly assign its value to the Snapshots controller

- Unassign Controller Shortcut—SHIFT-OPTION-click (Mac) or SHIFT-ALT-click (PC) any Home screen parameter to instantly remove any controller assignment

Thanks for your reply :) I know the procedure on the unit itself, but I didn't knew it in the editor. I will look into it, thanks.

It's pretty quick in general I think, but you can absolutely safe a copy of a preset, then swap out the amp and/or cab, and maybe some of the FX.

Thing is though, when you change blocks, like to a different amp or cab for instance, all those assignment go away.

It's pretty quick in general I think, but you can absolutely safe a copy of a preset, then swap out the amp and/or cab, and maybe some of the FX.

Thing is though, when you change blocks, like to a different amp or cab for instance, all those assignment go away.

You mean that perhaps it is faster to copy a preset several times and start tweaking every preset. And work less with snapshots? Thats an idea indeed! I then don't have the problem of constantly having to set a controller of a parameter to 'snapshot'.

But I like the snapshots so much :)

And: I know how easy it is to copy a preset in the editor, but I don't know how to easy copy a preset in the unit itself.

I think I will stick with snapshots.

Sorry I wasn't clearer. Pretty much all my real presets use snapshots, they're just awesome.

I just meant that I'll often start a new preset by modifying an existing one, so a bunch of controller and switch assignments, as well as routing and processing choices, are already in place.

And: I know how easy it is to copy a preset in the editor, but I don't know how to easy copy a preset in the unit itself.

On the device itself saving a preset is a two-step process. After hitting the SAVE button once, you can select the destination location. Change the destination to a new location then hit the SAVE button the second time. That constitutes the COPY operation; there are now two identical versions of the preset and you can begin to edit either one.

Sorry I wasn't clearer. Pretty much all my real presets use snapshots, they're just awesome.

I just meant that I'll often start a new preset by modifying an existing one, so a bunch of controller and switch assignments, as well as routing and processing choices, are already in place.

Good idea!! Thanks man! :)

And also thanks for your comment on how to copy a preset on the unit itself.

On the device itself saving a preset is a two-step process. After hitting the SAVE button once, you can select the destination location. Change the destination to a new location then hit the SAVE button the second time. That constitutes the COPY operation; there are now two identical versions of the preset and you can begin to edit either one.

Thank you! :)

......... In the editor, it's very fast as well. The shortcuts are:

- Snapshot Assign Shortcut—OPTION-click (Mac) or ALT-click (PC) any Home screen parameter to quickly assign its value to the Snapshots controller.......

I just checked it, and this is a great shortcut in the editor! Thanks a LOT for this very good trick!! :) This is really helpful. Now the controller is set to 'snapshot' ("bracket mode") extremely fast and easy. Thanks again.