Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tone matching!

SlugAlex

Hey forum!

I am new to the line 6 family. I recently received a helix and am absolutely loving it. I have owned a Kemper and axe FX II, but helix is exactly what I was looking for. The only thing I'm wondering is how I would go a bout using helix to tone match some of my favorite guitar tones, and then proceed to put the tone matched IR into helix to use live. I use ozone to do the tone matching. If any one could detail the process I would appreciate that. I'm not trying to tone match on the helix, I'm trying to get the helix to sound similar to the tone I want, then use ozone to eq match it to the reference tone. Now that it sounds pretty much the same, how do I get that tone back into the helix to use outside of the computer. Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I think you would need to look into the USB reamp features? If I recall don't you need to get some tones out of the Helix using an amp that is similar to the processed tone that you are trying to match? It's been so long since I've done that stuff. 

You could always use an IR capture tool to produce an IR of the isolated ozone plugin (running the matched settings). And then load the IR into Helix.

Would I have to bypass the cab in that case on the helix and use the Ir created instead, or run both? Thank you so much for the help

Add the captured IR after your cab in the chain. You're basically 'copying' the EQ profile of the plugin from the computer and inserting it into Helix chain instead. Then you should have the same output from the Helix as you had from your DAW.

Add the captured IR after your cab in the chain. You're basically 'copying' the EQ profile of the plugin from the computer and inserting it into Helix chain instead. Then you should have the same output from the Helix as you had from your DAW.

That's what I was thinking. Will try this. Thank you so much!

This is amazing - I've never done anything using a DAW or plugins, so wasn't aware this was possible :)

Are there any simple, n00b friendly tutorials you would recommend? Might finally be able to get the Use Your Illusion tone I'm after.....!

• 4 years later...