Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone using a L6 M9 (with MIDI/loops)? Confused

onanisland

Hello,

I'm missing some key effects I used on the HD500 series (filters, mods - obi-wah, pattern tremolo, growler) and such are sorely missed for my uses on Helix. I am considering getting a M9 to pair with my Helix floor. How difficult is it to do the whole MIDI, loop block patch syncing deal? I've never messed with MIDI beyond recording a single channel from a MIDI keyboard into a DAW. I'm looking to buy used M series board so this is sort of a "will this work or not?"

I'm guessing MIDI would only handle changing presets? Or can MIDI do all sorts of things like change the effect, then say use EXP2 to control a filter parameter (like on the HD series). 

...ideally having these in Helix would be best :-) 

I'm currently using an M5 with the helix and it can do more than just switch the presets.  It does switch the presets, of course, either when you change the helix preset or with each snapshot.  It can turn the individual effects on and off, send tap tempo info or sync via the midi clock feature, and the helix can control the expression pedal input. 

It takes a little bit of midi know-how to get it up and working.  There's a guide to the midi implementation here:

http://line6.com/data/6/0a060b316ac34f0593fca717b/application/pdf/M9%20Advanced%20Guide%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20A%20).pdf

The M9's midi stuff is a little more involved than the M5's, but that's just because there's more stuff the M9 can do.  It would be great to have these effects in the helix, but I think including one of these units is a really good companion to the helix.

• 5 months later...

But, it is possible to change presets in Helix, controlling with M5?
My meaning is... in some venues, without stage space, I can use M5 in front of me just to trigger 2 ou 3 snapshots plus a Expression pedal.

So, M5 Master - Helix Slave in midi behavior.

Is this possible?

Thanks

But, it is possible to change presets in Helix, controlling with M5?

My meaning is... in some venues, without stage space, I can use M5 in front of me just to trigger 2 ou 3 snapshots plus a Expression pedal.

So, M5 Master - Helix Slave in midi behavior.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Technically, yes, it is possible to control the Helix with an M5, but it would be very limited. The M5 sends the PC message associated with a preset when you select that preset on the M5. So you could use it to select between your first 24 Helix presets. I also believe if you bypass the effect while in a preset in the M5, it sends CC#11 (although I'm not completely sure about this). There really wouldn't be a way to have the M5 call up snapshots on the Helix.

If you're looking for a small MIDI controller, there are sorts of options out there nowadays. The M5 was really meant to be controlled by MIDI, not necessarily be a controller.

Technically, yes, it is possible to control the Helix with an M5, but it would be very limited. The M5 sends the PC message associated with a preset when you select that preset on the M5. So you could use it to select between your first 24 Helix presets. I also believe if you bypass the effect while in a preset in the M5, it sends CC#11 (although I'm not completely sure about this). There really wouldn't be a way to have the M5 call up snapshots on the Helix.

If you're looking for a small MIDI controller, there are sorts of options out there nowadays. The M5 was really meant to be controlled by MIDI, not necessarily be a controller.

Thanks for you answer Phil,

Well, I'm really looking for a MIDI controller capable of triggering Helix presets and a additional Expression Pedal. DO you know any? Low budget? I will rarely use it, that's why I don't want to spent a lot of cash..

Well, I'm really looking for a MIDI controller capable of triggering Helix presets and a additional Expression Pedal. DO you know any? Low budget? I will rarely use it, that's why I don't want to spent a lot of cash..

The Morningstar MC6 allows you connect two external expression pedals: https://www.morningstarfx.com/product-page/morningstar-mc6-midi-controller

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FCB1010?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3JOw8P3h1wIVCv5kCh1S5gjyEAQYASABEgIzPfD_BwE

The Behringer FCB1010 - should do ya, budget friendly.

... in some venues, without stage space, I can use M5 in front of me just to trigger 2 ou 3 snapshots plus a Expression pedal.

That must be a seriously small stage if you have to try to use an M5 up front instead of just having your Helix up there. The Helix is pretty small in my opinion. I would think if your controller (Helix) is narrower that the width of your shoulders, it is small enough to have directly in front of you on stage. JMO. 

Bigger than a tank, though... :)

Now Phil, I've told you a hundred million billion times - don't exaggerate!  But yeah, he DID want to minimize floor space, didn't he? 

That's so big! eheh :)

And I've been told that only a few work with Helix, based on some chip :P

Naw, it'll be fine - it just sends standard MIDI data which is pretty bread and butter once you know what you're doing.  The chip mods have more to do with customizing setups to specific bits o'gear, basically establishing "templates" for certain gadgets out there.  Helix reads standard MIDI PC's and CC's.  But Phil's right - the FCB IS a big girl....

Now Phil, I've told you a hundred million billion times - don't exaggerate!  But yeah, he DID want to minimize floor space, didn't he? 

Naw, it'll be fine - it just sends standard MIDI data which is pretty bread and butter once you know what you're doing.  The chip mods have more to do with customizing setups to specific bits o'gear, basically establishing "templates" for certain gadgets out there.  Helix reads standard MIDI PC's and CC's.  But Phil's right - the FCB IS a big girl....

I've to find a Baby FCB :D