Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using an X3L with a Blackstar tube amp

patdixon

...so I know that digital modeling fx thingies don't necessarily go well with tube amps, but I love my X3L and my Blackstar. It actually sounds great to me; but noisey when not playing. Nothing wrong with either as far as I know (both work very well alone). 

Think of a flanger set with high gain- that's the sound I get all the time in an idle state. I can't be the only person with this problem*. One workaround is obviously to go direct into the PA (right now I'm hanging a '57 on the amp which picks up the noise). I have had a few ground hum issues that the lift wouldn't take care of though. 

*I know the X3L isn't supported any longer, but my guess is that any modeling processor, Helix, firehawk etc does the same thing. If someone knows otherwise please tell me, I don't mind buying a newer version if this fixes it.

Any ideas/thoughts welcome, thanks.

No, only when hooked up. But even with no guitar plugged in (X3L vol toe up) you still hear it. An update:

I put a separate vol pedal before the amp & the hiss goes away. Since I know I could do that (but may forget to pedal down before song starts) I've ordered a noise gate that I'll try direct then putting the X3L in the FX loop. If it doesn't work I'll have no choice but to use the vol pedal. 

Thank you for responding- I rarely get any answers here, and I'm pretty sure this is a common problem with multi fx units and high gain tube amps. 

One thing to look at is (and its been a while) IIRC the X3L is Line level and amp's like instrument level signals. It could be there is too hot of a signal hitting the amp's loop. <- Hope that helps but it is a guess.

Well, thanks for the responses guys. The only fix I have other than throwing the X3L away is to use a vol pedal before the amp as a "noise gate" between songs. The external noise gate won't work because the noise level is too high ( the threshold is so high that it won't work with the guitar), and the momentary toe-up switch I installed pops when engaged.  I can't believe there weren't more responses- you guys seem to dig high gain stuff and I can't be the only one with this problem. 

For now I'll use the vol pedal until I can either build a pedal board or get another amp, neither of which I really want to do. 

Peace,

No. You get the noise even with no guitar plugged in (vol pedal and master vol have no effect on this noise). The fix for me was a vol pedal just before the amp. I feel very let down by Line 6- I said in the outset that I'm aware that the X3L is no longer supported, but I was willing to buy a FHFX/helix/HD500 whatever if the noise wasn't there. 

No one but the posts above answered. I appreciate very much the help- all I wanted was for someone to let me know if this is normal- if it isn't I'd have replaced either the amp or the X3L. My guess is that it is perfectly normal & I just have to live with it. 

My long term goal is to acquire some discreet pedals and start building a pedal board. Frankly I've had it with mult FX units. Fine for church; not so much for a live band situation. 

Thank you very much for responding!