Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix to Blackstar HT Club

aed1421

When I hook up my Helix to the front of my Blackstar HT Club 40 it sounds like there is digital distortion or something happening.  I have the 1/4 outs set to instrument and amp is on the clean channel.   All patches sound this way.  Patches from Helix to the board (XLR-Mic) sound fine.  Anybody? 

Are you using full amp and cab models from the Helix going into the front of the Blackstar? You would essentially be playing trough the equivalent of two amps and two cabs in series. You could also check to see if lowering the final output on the Helix helps. You might be giving the Blackstar too hot of a signal. You might also going through the Blackstar's effects loop return. The last thing I can think of would be to ask whether you've played straight through the Blackstar to make sure it is working properly.

It's not just too hot, it's already been distorted and tailored for flat response playback, which even the clean channel of a guitar amp is very much not. That's why your ok going to the board, but not through the amp.

Coming in the fx return is much more likely to work ok, but you're still going through a guitar speaker, so you'll want to remove the cabs in Helix.

If it were me, I would just monitor through the wedges so you hear the entire band and yourself. If you have control over your own mix in your wedges, even better. 

If you are set on having the additional guitar amp as part of your monitoring, you can pull down a parallel path down before your amp/cab model blocks and run that parallel path to 1/4" out to connect to your amp. You won't be able to have a parallel path with no blocks on it, so I would drop in an EQ block in case you want to tweak before it hits your amp. You will just have to get a little creative with where all your effect are in your preset.