Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

is the turbosound 2000 an FRFR so i could use with helix

mikegibbo52

I've used them with and without additional monitoring, they work great with the Helix. They are perfect for a duo in small to mid-size clubs as well as smaller outdoor gigs. Two are better than one, especially if you want to run the Helix in stereo. I assume you have already checked out the alternatives like the Bose. 

I do have one but not getting real good tones. Even the drum and bass backing sound thin. I am running through a TouchMix desk. Should I plug the Helix direct?

If you can't seem to get enough bottom end out of the Turbosound for the drum and bass tracks using the TouchMix parametric and graphic EQ, and input level adjustments, I would recommend turning up the sub and/or bass directly on the Turbosound speaker's menu to get a little more low end out of it, too much though and I find they get boomy, flubby, or muddy. I don't see any reason you should not be able to use the TouchMix with the TurboSound to get a great sound. I have used similar mixers with the Turbosound iP2000, although not that particular mixer. I would probably start with the TouchMix's EQ pretty much flat and then work on getting unity gain and the sound levels as good as possible from the Helix. I would experiment with the settings for the Helix output levels (mic, line) and would also tweak the presets being used. The usual - find the right cab,mic, and especially EQ, etc..

Only when I was fairly satisfied with the sound from the Helix would I start changing the TouchMix's EQ. Although if you find you need to jockey back and forth to the TouchMix EQ to get you in the ballpark there's no rule saying you can't. Also make sure you are not adding any effects from the TouchMix mixer to the Helix until you are getting close to the sound you want solely from the Helix. Apologies if you know all this stuff already but just trying to reassure you that these speakers can sound great with various mixers and the Helix. If you absolutely cannot get a good sound with the TouchMix you can try going direct to the Turbosound with the Helix to eliminate the QSC as the problem. Keeping at it though will probably pay off. I am positive there are good sounds to be had with both the Helix and your mixer in play.

Thanks so much for your detailed answer, I'll keep working on those ideas, it's reassuring that the Turbosound is usable I was doubting it's worth. I have only had my Helix for a month and I'm starting to get my head around its process and understanding how to edit better. Little things like, cleaner crush, more sustain are know achievable. Just taking much longer than I'd like to get usable patches that work with my dou sound. Thanks again.

Thanks so much for your detailed answer, I'll keep working on those ideas, it's reassuring that the Turbosound is usable I was doubting it's worth. I have only had my Helix for a month and I'm starting to get my head around its process and understanding how to edit better. Little things like, cleaner crush, more sustain are know achievable. Just taking much longer than I'd like to get usable patches that work with my dou sound. Thanks again.

I totally understand your situation if you are only a month in with the Helix. It already takes a while to get your sound right with a device as feature rich as the Helix and these column speakers add another layer of complexity and can be a bit trickier to get a great sound out of than a conventional PA speaker. Once you get there you will be quite happy with both your sound and the incredible portability that these speakers offer in combination with the Helix.