Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix internal cabinet simulator

hag01

I'm doing research about the Helix, thinking to upgrade to Helix in a few month.

From what I learned so far, the weakness of the Helix, is the sames weakness of the Pod(which I already own), and it is the cabinet simulator.

I saw people saying they prefer to connect an external cabinet simulator to the Helix.

First of all, as Helix users, what do you have to say about that?

Second, I didn't understood yet, if I must connect another device(like Epsi or Torpedo Cab) to get better cabinet simulator, or do I have the option to download cabinet models(just software) into the Helix itself.

I don't really agree that the Helix cabs are a weakness. They are fine imo, and I use them most of the time. You do have the option to load third party IRs if you want to, though. You don't need a separate device to do that. You load them directly on the Helix.

This is not a Helix weakness IMHO,  just a lot of flexibility and options.  You can use the "stock" helix cab sim which sounds fine to my ears for most applications.  You can load 3rd party IR's to specifically target tones you want, or you can use outboard gear (Two notes etc) for even more flexibility.  

I have done all 3 and have had great results with each one.  The 3rd party IR's are great for targeting specific tones, and I do like them.  The only reason I use a 2 notes torpedo is because I already had it.  It is in no way a piece of gear I would have felt compelled to buy because of some shortcoming in Helix.

As the other guys already told you, you do not need any other device.

I also prefer some "external" IRs instead of the Helix stock cabs. But it means only that you have to find them (some free ones, but many good ones are available for little money, and they are worth it), and with the software connecting your PC to Helix, you just import these IR files into the Helix. IRs are just small wave files giving you the typical frequency response of some specific speaker + mic.

The built in cab models are impulse responses that have some added functionality built into the block. They sound great. You can also import third party impulse responses, which also sound great.

Some people post about them being a weakness, but that is mostly because when they drop the model into their signal chain, it doesn't instantly reproduce the sound that they are trying to achieve. That is of no fault of the hardware/firmware. 

The built in cabs are working awesome for me, especially when I use dual cabs and change the default mic. I don't even use ANY 3rd party IR. Just the built-in cabs.

The way to think of it, imho, is not the built in cabs as a weakness, but the fact that you can load up any IR you want in as a strength.

I absolutely join in what is said above, the helix cabs are good! The possibility​ to easily change the mic, it's distance and especially to dial in the early reflexions, is stellar.

3d party IR's are great if you need off axis mic positions​, or a cabinet model that isn't yet included in the Helix.

Helix can use it all and let you choose what you like/prefer, isn't the world great :-)

From what I learned so far, the weakness of the Helix, is the sames weakness of the Pod(which I already own), and it is the cabinet simulator.

Dunno where you got that tidbit, but Im thinking that is one of its strong points.

I hear this alot. SO I downloaded a bunch of free IRs, and spent a few dollars and some others. I enjoy working with the helix cabs better, easy to navigate and tweak. I found a few IRs give me more here and there, mostly a few high gain patches I made. But I am 90 cabs. Nice to have a few extra options but whats there works well. And I am sure line 6 isnt done adding them or maybe another Allure type download. Some of those are very nice imo..