Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

macOS Sierra 10.12.5 Fails to Recognise USB. Unplug/Replug

pazuzu46

All

If this has been covered before or still on going point me in the right direction.

My Support ticket is still on going with regards to this issue.

As long as I unplug and replug the USB  cable into the Mac it works fine. If I leave it connected and shut the HELIX RACK down it fails to see it upon switching back on again.

Customer support have stated its not supposed to do this

Is this a Mac or Line 6 problem?

Do you have the Helix program OPEN when you are unplugging and replugging? If so, do not do this. It will freeze the program and the unit both. It has always been that way.

Also, don't start the Helix program and THEN turn on the unit or plug it in. That will result in unpredictable behavior.

Line 6 asked me to disconnect everything from the Mac. 

Interestingly with only the Helix connected, I have to have bluetooth for keyboard mouse.

I left the unit on and restarted the Mac and it found it straight away.
When the Mac was switched off with Helix on and then the Mac switched on it couldn’t find it.

• 2 months later...

So my story is back in April 2017 I bought the Helix rack.  It did not connect to my MacBook pro 2011 running OS X Sierra.  I tried everything that was suggested to me in the support ticket that I filled out and still, I could not connect.  I could connect it to my wifes crummy PC she uses to just do Facebook and stuff, but it would never be able to connect to my Mac.  

That pissed me off so much that I returned it, and went for other solutions.  Now that Helix Native is out, I jumped at the chance to try the demo, but sadly, the CPU is just too much of a hog.  I upgraded my MacBook pro to SSD, and 16 GB of Ram.  

So unless they have a permanent solution to connect the hardware to all Macs, I won't get a Helix hardware unit, even though I genuinely like the sound of Helix a lot.  I hope they come up with a permanent fix.  

So my story is back in April 2017 I bought the Helix rack.  It did not connect to my MacBook pro 2011 running OS X Sierra.  I tried everything that was suggested to me in the support ticket that I filled out and still, I could not connect.  I could connect it to my wifes crummy PC she uses to just do Facebook and stuff, but it would never be able to connect to my Mac.  

That pissed me off so much that I returned it, and went for other solutions.  Now that Helix Native is out, I jumped at the chance to try the demo, but sadly, the CPU is just too much of a hog.  I upgraded my MacBook pro to SSD, and 16 GB of Ram.  

So unless they have a permanent solution to connect the hardware to all Macs, I won't get a Helix hardware unit, even though I genuinely like the sound of Helix a lot.  I hope they come up with a permanent fix.  

That's so odd. I have a mid 21 13" MBP, and had no issues with Mavericks, Yosemite or Sierra with my Helix Rack.

Well reverted back to Windows PC with 7 home. No issues.

All owners should get native free, for all the hassle with the software/ USB 2/3 lollipope.

But then again it wouldnt work for me. Sounds like a plan Line 6?

Did you open up a support ticket with Line 6?

Yes.

The latest response from Line 6, Below.

Going to try another Mac Book Pro. See what happens.

Then push for a return or refund of rack unit. As software doesn't work and can't use it for an audio interface either.

Hi,

It seems that there is either a incompatibilty (but then we

would have more requests with similar Macs) or a hardware problem of the Mac USB or another component of it (memory etc)

are there any other audio interfaces you have which work ? But i think this also needs to be checked by

an Apple repair/hardware support center

Yes.

The latest response from Line 6, Below.

Going to try another Mac Book Pro. See what happens.

Then push for a return or refund of rack unit. As software doesn't work and can't use it for an audio interface either.

Hi,

It seems that there is either a incompatibilty (but then we

would have more requests with similar Macs) or a hardware problem of the Mac USB or another component of it (memory etc)

are there any other audio interfaces you have which work ? But i think this also needs to be checked by

an Apple repair/hardware support center

We're u able to try a POWERED USB hub?

Hi

Yes. It worked to start off with. Restart etc with Mac. Then once I switched the unit off the Mac failed to regonise it. Plus I then had to switch ports on the powered hub to get it to work, then nothing. None of the ports worked.

Right all.

Any help please.

installed the software/ updater/ registration on the MacBook Pro early 2015. No issues.

Only difference I can see is the Host Controller Drivers are different series letter codes ( USB 3 )

Tried again on my iMac , nothing.

Is this a case of tacking it to an Apple tech and like fix it yesterday.

Only used for emails, cubase, etc. No illegal downloads or dodge sites. So can't understand why its failed.

Hi

Having tried an early 2015 MacBook Pro with no issues.

I rolled my iMac back to Yosemite 2015 and the Helix should up in the audio on system preferences.

Having spent 1.5 hours with Apple tech to create a new admin account. The Helix then did not show up again.

I then reverted back to Sierra and still nothing. Then it worked! Editor, updater etc.

Rebooted iMac to make sure then nothing again.

Has to be an Apple issue.

• 1 month later...

Update for all

iMac been sent off to check etc.

Biggest news my old 2011 MBP which so far has failed to even remotely accept any Helix software is now working with helix rack.

The cure was to load the oldest update manager I could fine 1.07 ( uninstall the 1.1 first )plus Helix version 1.02 on top of the latest Helix version 2.21.0 and it worked.

Haven't rebooted yet so it could fail again.

But will try that on the iMac when it returns.

• Upvote 1

I also have a 2011 MB pro, and experienced the same thing. Sorry but this issue is the reason I returned my last helix rack, and Im not sure if I wanna buy another helix unless this is fixed.

I doubt Line 6 will expend the energy and $ to ensure their product is compatible with a few models of 6 year old computer hardware that seem to have intermittent USB connectivity issues. 

• Upvote 1

I doubt Line 6 will expend the energy and $ to ensure their product is compatible with a few models of 6 year old computer hardware that seem to have intermittent USB connectivity issues. 

i'm sure they will expend SOME... but... especially with the occasional flakey USB implementations in different computers... there's only so much... now if it's a current model, I'd think it's very different, yes.

That would be about right.

iMac is back and USB board replaced and quests what it doesn't work.

Even with the latest driver update advice from line 6 with regards to High Sierra not allowing the drivers to work. You have to ask the security private setting to allow it.

Did this and it still didn't work.

Would love to test a Helix board to see if that worked compared to the rack unit.

That would be about right.

iMac is back and USB board replaced and quests what it doesn't work.

Even with the latest driver update advice from line 6 with regards to High Sierra not allowing the drivers to work. You have to ask the security private setting to allow it.

Did this and it still didn't work.

Would love to test a Helix board to see if that worked compared to the rack unit.

The Helix rack I returned did not work.   The Helix LT worked, so maybe the racks have some sort of issues.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

So...my brand new Helix Rack connected long enough to my Mac so I could update the firmware. But, it doesn't stay connected for long when in HX Edit. I have tried it on all three of my Macs..one running Lion, one running Mavericks and the other running Sierra.They all connect at first and then disconnect with no success on subsequent attempts.I swapped out USB cables and still the same issue. after what I just sent on the Rack, I don't want to, nor should I have to, go out and buy a crummy windows machine just to use EX Edit.

Line 6 really needs to address this issue. Most musicians use Macs for their every day production apps like Logic and ProTools without any issues.

At least I was able to stay connected long enough to update my firmware.

Hi

You more than likely have a faulty unit, get it repaired replaced under warranty . After going round the hours with everything else it was the unit that was at fault. They produced a bunch that were faulty ( USB Rack Units ). return the unit. It will and should be repaired for free, no charge. 

There is nothing wrong with your Mac

Trust me I know, I have the t-shirt and read the book etc.