Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x Does Not Start / Boot Anymore

Christian1971

Hi,

my HD500X does not start anymore, after I switch on the power. The Line 6 Logo appears, stay for some seconds, the logo switch to the big blue block an then the block faded away,

then the line 6 Logo appears again. This in in a loop.

Bofor I had a software-crash. I was in the HD-editor. I had an amp with a delay in front. Then I addes a wah-wah. For a reason (i know this is useless) I try to switch the wah-wah after (behind) the amp. In this moment the programm crashes. I can't remember the exact errormessage, sorry. I tryed to reboot the HD500X but it won't work.

How can I reset the HD500x?

Sorry for my english, but thanks for you help!

Kind regards

Christian

I would reinstall the firmware. Connect the HD500x to your computer via usb, and hold down the left nav key on the HD500x while powering up. Then run Line 6 Monkey to reinstall the flash memory (firmware). If you have a recent backup of the HD500x presets then it's best to choose to replace existing presets when prompted during the installation. If no recent backup, then choose to keep your existing presets (and back them up immediately :) ).

Also, after reinstalling be sure to reset the global parameters and calibrate the pedal (search the knowledge base for details).

• 5 months later...

Make sure you are using the correct powerbrick for the 500X.  Do not assume (as I initially did) that an X3L brick would power the 500X.  We it kinda did, but sometimes the Line6 logo would just flash repeatedly - as you noted.

Also check the your 500x brick is providing 9VDC.

• 4 months later...

I know this won't make it past your moderators, because to put it bluntly I am pissed right off at how unreliable this unit and software really are.

Seriously, it is surprising that Line 6 have not sorted this issue out yet.  I've seen a few similar threads online, and my own unit which arrived less than a month ago has also repeatedly lost data, had the interface program crash every other session (Not exaggerating), and last night did exactly the same things as mentioned here.  Stuck on the initial Line 6 blue screen.  Hell, even the words "blue screen" sound daunting because I remember my days using PCs / Windows that a blue screen meant your whole system has failed.

Frustrating does not begin to describe how inefficient and disappointing this Pod and program is.  I want to be able to trust this unit with my variax guitars as my live stage rig, but the reliability factor leaves a hell of a lot to be desired.  

The whole reason I bought the unit (after experiencing a lot of issues with earlier Line 6 gear I have owned) is that your guys on the facebook page told me that combined with my variax guitars it would do what I want it to do.  I have previously gone back to using old fashioned valve amps and stomp boxes twice after having similar issues with earlier Line 6 models, so I am now questioning my own sanity for throwing more $$$ at another of your units.

The info I had seen online about the unit made it sound like it has had the gremlins, which plagued your earlier gear removed, yet the software interface program still crashes constantly, wipes everything stored in the machine as well as the folders in my Macbook.  It takes hours to get these settings done, and time is money, so far at the rate I earn per hour I'd estimate this last crash has cost me well over $1000 in lost time, so it really is far from good enough. Nobody should need to make multiple backups of these settings, one in the machine and one on the Macbook should be heaps, but when your software is the weakest link and likes to take all information with it time and again, that is a sad sad state of affairs.

Your program designers need to address this software problem now, because this thing is marketed as a professional piece of stage equipment, yet it is less reliable than a Windows operating system.

Far from impressed with this expensive doorstop!

Should I list all the issues I have had with the variax guitars while I am at it?  One has been back for repairs to the circuitry three times in the last year alone.  When these units are working well, they are amazing, but I find I constantly have my heart in my mouth using them, because I always expect the variax to stop doing it's thing, or the Pod or my earlier amps to give me some problem.  So far the newest 30w Spider is not playing up yet, but I've only had that four weeks, so I'm not holding my breath.

There is no point having a hundred sounds at your feet, if the interface programs used to program the unit via the computer is not up to speed.

Other problems this HD500x has given me.  Patches which are saved one way, decide not to sound the same a minute later when I go back to them as a comparison for volume settings.  For example, it suddenly sounds like the amp is in a cave echoing all over the place, or on a Coral Sitar patch I set up, which worked fine for a few days, it suddenly started echoing all over the place.  Turn it off, and back on, and "Oh that is what I am supposed to sound like?"  it is as if the lightbulb suddenly turns on and the machine wakes up.  You do not have the luxury of time on stage to sort these issues out.   Sounds which were perfectly balanced one night at rehearsal, the next night are totally out of whack.  ie, I switch from a clean 12 string sound with a little compression to the next clean Tele / Fender twin patch and they are perfect, then to an overdriven strat / Jcm rhythm track, again perfect sound balance, to a higher gain Les Paul, Engl sound for lead and all good.  The next night I go back and the volumes are all over the place, when nothing has been done to the unit or setting that day.  Turn it off and on a few times and it plays nice.

Unfortunately because I bought the thing from the USA, and live in Oz, I will not get any help from a local seller, or I'd be ramming it down their throat by now.

Seriously these faults are not little things that you can just get past and move on, especially in a live gig situation where I am the vocalist and only guitarist in the three piece.  There is no reason whatsoever for them to be present, but it is like every session with this unit is a new headache.  "Today I think I might crash the interface program, because I haven't done that since....  well yesterday.  I know he'll love me for it"   The next day  "Well today I think I might throw some awful cavelike sounds at him, just to show him how cool it would sound to play a gig for Batman..."  The next day "Ok time to knock all his volume balance settings into orbit, because I know how much this guys loves playing with my lollipoping buttons on the fly midway through a gig, while trying to sing and hold the show together..." 

If you can't see the level of angst I feel towards this unit by the sarcasm, then I guess I may not be the first person to list faults like this.  

One more thing.  Why the hell can't we buy spare adapters to go on the wall wart to convert it from the US plug to the Aussie plug without buying an entire Plug unit?

An adapter would cost what $2-3 max, the plug is $75 or so.  I'm sure you buy these adapters in bulk, so why can't clients buy them from your distributors?

And why is the supply chain in Western Australia so redundant?  Oh yeah we have the HD500x on order, it will be here next month, is the response I got from three stores.  Hence one of the reasons for buying from the USA.

I'm over it, I could do this all day, because I am so f---d off with this thing right now.  It is costing me time, money, energy, happiness.... when it is supposed to make my life as a performing musician easier and more enjoyable.

I know this won't make it past your moderators, because to put it bluntly I am pissed right off at how unreliable this unit and software really are.

Seriously, it is surprising that Line 6 have not sorted this issue out yet. I've seen a few similar threads online, and my own unit which arrived less than a month ago has also repeatedly lost data, had the interface program crash every other session (Not exaggerating), and last night did exactly the same things as mentioned here. Stuck on the initial Line 6 blue screen. Hell, even the words "blue screen" sound daunting because I remember my days using PCs / Windows that a blue screen meant your whole system has failed.

Frustrating does not begin to describe how inefficient and disappointing this Pod and program is. I want to be able to trust this unit with my variax guitars as my live stage rig, but the reliability factor leaves a hell of a lot to be desired.

The whole reason I bought the unit (after experiencing a lot of issues with earlier Line 6 gear I have owned) is that your guys on the facebook page told me that combined with my variax guitars it would do what I want it to do. I have previously gone back to using old fashioned valve amps and stomp boxes twice after having similar issues with earlier Line 6 models, so I am now questioning my own sanity for throwing more $$$ at another of your units.

The info I had seen online about the unit made it sound like it has had the gremlins, which plagued your earlier gear removed, yet the software interface program still crashes constantly, wipes everything stored in the machine as well as the folders in my Macbook. It takes hours to get these settings done, and time is money, so far at the rate I earn per hour I'd estimate this last crash has cost me well over $1000 in lost time, so it really is far from good enough. Nobody should need to make multiple backups of these settings, one in the machine and one on the Macbook should be heaps, but when your software is the weakest link and likes to take all information with it time and again, that is a sad sad state of affairs.

Your program designers need to address this software problem now, because this thing is marketed as a professional piece of stage equipment, yet it is less reliable than a Windows operating system.

Far from impressed with this expensive doorstop!

Should I list all the issues I have had with the variax guitars while I am at it? One has been back for repairs to the circuitry three times in the last year alone. When these units are working well, they are amazing, but I find I constantly have my heart in my mouth using them, because I always expect the variax to stop doing it's thing, or the Pod or my earlier amps to give me some problem. So far the newest 30w Spider is not playing up yet, but I've only had that four weeks, so I'm not holding my breath.

There is no point having a hundred sounds at your feet, if the interface programs used to program the unit via the computer is not up to speed.

Other problems this HD500x has given me. Patches which are saved one way, decide not to sound the same a minute later when I go back to them as a comparison for volume settings. For example, it suddenly sounds like the amp is in a cave echoing all over the place, or on a Coral Sitar patch I set up, which worked fine for a few days, it suddenly started echoing all over the place. Turn it off, and back on, and "Oh that is what I am supposed to sound like?" it is as if the lightbulb suddenly turns on and the machine wakes up. You do not have the luxury of time on stage to sort these issues out. Sounds which were perfectly balanced one night at rehearsal, the next night are totally out of whack. ie, I switch from a clean 12 string sound with a little compression to the next clean Tele / Fender twin patch and they are perfect, then to an overdriven strat / Jcm rhythm track, again perfect sound balance, to a higher gain Les Paul, Engl sound for lead and all good. The next night I go back and the volumes are all over the place, when nothing has been done to the unit or setting that day. Turn it off and on a few times and it plays nice.

Unfortunately because I bought the thing from the USA, and live in Oz, I will not get any help from a local seller, or I'd be ramming it down their throat by now.

Seriously these faults are not little things that you can just get past and move on, especially in a live gig situation where I am the vocalist and only guitarist in the three piece. There is no reason whatsoever for them to be present, but it is like every session with this unit is a new headache. "Today I think I might crash the interface program, because I haven't done that since.... well yesterday. I know he'll love me for it" The next day "Well today I think I might throw some awful cavelike sounds at him, just to show him how cool it would sound to play a gig for Batman..." The next day "Ok time to knock all his volume balance settings into orbit, because I know how much this guys loves playing with my lollipop buttons on the fly midway through a gig, while trying to sing and hold the show together..."

If you can't see the level of angst I feel towards this unit by the sarcasm, then I guess I may not be the first person to list faults like this.

One more thing. Why the hell can't we buy spare adapters to go on the wall wart to convert it from the US plug to the Aussie plug without buying an entire Plug unit?

An adapter would cost what $2-3 max, the plug is $75 or so. I'm sure you buy these adapters in bulk, so why can't clients buy them from your distributors?

And why is the supply chain in Western Australia so redundant? Oh yeah we have the HD500x on order, it will be here next month, is the response I got from three stores. Hence one of the reasons for buying from the USA.

I'm over it, I could do this all day, because I am so f---d off with this thing right now. It is costing me time, money, energy, happiness.... when it is supposed to make my life as a performing musician easier and more enjoyable.

Sorry to hear of your frustration. Your post will get past the mods, obviously, because I was able to read it. They only censor for abuse of other members here pretty much, so venting and criticism of quality or compatibility is definitely ok. If you want support and suggestions for solutions to your issues, your best bet is to break it up into a list of specific issues and create "question" threads, and the folks here will help you suss them out. Welcome aboard, and I hope we can make your gear work better for you.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 2

Good suggestion except...

I could not see where / how to start a new topic or thread or post a new problem or any similar buttons / menus on the screen, which is another of my frustrations with this.  I did look, a few weeks back when these problems first started I wasted some time trying to find how to start a topic and get the ball rolling.

The forum is laid out much the same as many others I have used, (looks basically identical to Perthbands.com) but the little button to post a new topic or thread....  If I can't see it, I cant use it, hence the decision to hijack this topic, which was one I noticed that aired a similar issue.

In my case I could combine several of the problems people have, because I hit the jackpot, and got them all.  Hang on that makes it the booby prize not a jackpot!

• 3 months later...

Hi All

I am having the same flashing screen issue. I have read all the suggestions on this thread & none of them seem to get it working again. I have held the left arrow & powered up, reinstalled all drivers & sofware. Still gettin the flashing screed & cannot connect to the unit from the PC. Any help would be appreciated

Rick

Hi All

I am having the same flashing screen issue. I have read all the suggestions on this thread & none of them seem to get it working again. I have held the left arrow & powered up, reinstalled all drivers & sofware. Still gettin the flashing screed & cannot connect to the unit from the PC. Any help would be appreciated

Rick

Yep check yer thread my man :)

-B

I've read quite a few of these posts of various booting and firmware issues. Won't say this is just a common thing

with Line6 units, but it does make me think about how people yearn for updates and how we're commonly told

that we should appreciate the updates we DO have when we b#tch and moan. Firmware was never in the equation

of the small list of things that COULD go wrong with analogue FX. Firmware is just another layer of something

to go wrong, with the strong possibility of being a huge inconvenience when it does randomly happen.

Maybe yearning for updates isn't such a ridiculous request, when everyone knows in the back of their mind their

digital unit might very well be living on borrowed time while things are running smoothly. Food for thought.

• Upvote 1

and based on your "Wah"nderful number I am finally going to order a new pot for the ole wah!

Is that a Beat Buddy I spy with my eye? Been gassing for one... what is your take on it?

-B

Dang your good BB!! Although I kinda gave it away, I think, LOL. Glad to hear your going to get your wah a new pot!!. Thanks for the cool comment, hahaaa. I like the BB a lot. I'm trying to get to learn how to construct my own beats and songs which may take me a while, since my coconut started to leak it's juices a long time ago, lol. It's got quite a bit for me to fool around with though. One can never have too many noise makers :).

so I had an "anomaly" today... after playing this morning through L6 to the DT, I wanted to load some new FRFR patches.  Everything went fine until time to play and... nothing.  No sound from the 1/4 or the headphones.  Same with my regular guitar and my JTV. Tuner shows activity but no sound on any patch or bank.  System reset no help.  Reflash no help.  Now I am pissed.  Roll back to 2.1, no help.  Ok, lets try the L6 link to the DT.  That works fine!  WTF?  So last resort reflash again up to 2.32 and what do you know? Back to normal, everything just as it should be...  No idea what caused it... Maybe a bad patch... Oh well...

AGGRAVATED.jpg

• Upvote 1

so I had an "anomaly" today... after playing this morning through L6 to the DT, I wanted to load some new FRFR patches.  Everything went fine until time to play and... nothing.  No sound from the 1/4 or the headphones.  Same with my regular guitar and my JTV. Tuner shows activity but no sound on any patch or bank.  System reset no help.  Reflash no help.  Now I am pissed.  Roll back to 2.1, no help.  Ok, lets try the L6 link to the DT.  That works fine!  WTF?  So last resort reflash again up to 2.32 and what do you know? Back to normal, everything just as it should be...  No idea what caused it... Maybe a bad patch... Oh well...

Must have been at the same time a solar flare happened. Unexplainable things happen with firmware/software. they just do. Glad you got it going. Now get ready to eat some turkey and Rock & Roll!

Oh and I dig your images man! :)

Occasionally the sound cuts out on my hd500x. It's weird though, because the daw meters work as if there is sound going to the computer. Makes you think that the problem lies within the daw, right? Not so. Eventually, I found that by unplugging and replugging the spdif connection on the pod magically fixes it. Weird.

• Upvote 1

Well with all the snow the power went out last night and the POD turned off and back on again.  The same no sound problem came back again too.  Reflashed and it works great but now I don't want to turn it off again.  Doesn't seem like a hardware malfunction if a reflash fixes it so kind of bummed right now...

Long out of warranty so if it keeps on I will be looking at a 500X...

• Upvote 1

It's possible some sort of electromagnetic interference is going on. Florescent lighting, wireless devices (although unlikely), faulty house wiring caused by mice/rats (likely-hood increases with colder weather).

No nothing like that.  Just because it says Power User above my name doesn't mean I can't be a bucket head some times...  Turns out it only happens when connected by USB so after further troubleshooting seems it was due to turning hardware monitoring off during a previous recording session...  Lesson learned!

Happy thanksgiving everyone!

• 1 year later...

I have a similar problem and Im hoping that someone can help me

After upgrading to firmware version 2.62 and performing global reset (Following instructions from line 6 ) after being teased with the new amps etc. Unit will not boot just displays LIne6 logo. Can not perform global reset.

Cannot talk to computer to downgrade firmware.

Have tried Different computers different usb cables to no avail.

I have also tried power on with bottom arrow down which displays update flash but can't do anything.

IS bad timing as I have 4 big shows this week and rely on this unit heavily. I had to update as i needed to record and mac wasn't responding via USB.

I Have logged tickets and called distributers but no one is answering.

If any one could help it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Tim

• 2 years later...

I have a similar problem and Im hoping that someone can help me

After upgrading to firmware version 2.62 and performing global reset (Following instructions from line 6 ) after being teased with the new amps etc. Unit will not boot just displays LIne6 logo. Can not perform global reset.

Cannot talk to computer to downgrade firmware.

Have tried Different computers different usb cables to no avail.

I have also tried power on with bottom arrow down which displays update flash but can't do anything.

IS bad timing as I have 4 big shows this week and rely on this unit heavily. I had to update as i needed to record and mac wasn't responding via USB.

I Have logged tickets and called distributers but no one is answering.

If any one could help it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks and Regards

Tim

• 11 months later...

This topic is 6 years old and I am having the same problem now. Are you kidding me Line 6? You haven't solved this issues on the HD500X aftyer this long???? BAck to Guitar Center it goes. Wont ever buy a Line 6 product again. No excuse for this. This unit should have never been shipped. I updated all the drivers and firmware and it worked for 1 day. It died after 1 day. 1 day! Not good - I am a professional musician you just lost votes which equal dollars. Should have gone with the Headrush. At least I know its reliable.

13 hours ago, lkaplan said:

This topic is 6 years old and I am having the same problem now. Are you kidding me Line 6? You haven't solved this issues on the HD500X aftyer this long????

This topic is 6 years old and this thread hasn't filled a page, and most contributors have more than 1 post in the thread. IE: There are not many people involved in the thread.

IMO - that means this is not a wide spread problem, it's an anomaly. Sorry to hear you have having problems, but I think this claim that L6 is shipping known lemons is a little misguided. 

13 hours ago, lkaplan said:

I am a professional musician you just lost votes which equal dollars.

That's not how professionals react to problems... just sayin'...

That's why there's a warranty.  If you think ALL other products of any kind that have ever been sold have NEVER had any problems then you're an idiot.  I've used Line6 products for over a decade and have never had an issue.  That doesn't mean every one of them will be perfect but most of them will.

• 4 weeks later...

Joel (and others) - I was probably a little frustrated when I posted that to be fair to L6. 

I returned it and got another one. I reacted poorly the first time.  Enough said there.

Was I immature? Yes. But I'm not an idiot. And there's never a reason to call someone that. 

• Like 1