Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Setting Helix LT headphone level?

Charvel2

Hi - I haven't posted here since my POD XT Live days, so I'm a little surprised my account is still active after ten years! Anyway...

Having spent the last few years using Amplitube, I'm very close to jumping over to the Helix. Although the full fat Helix has a couple of extra features I'd like to have (mic input, separate headphone level), I like the more streamlined nature of the LT. I have a Scarlett 2i2, which can cover mic duties when needed, but I'm wondering if the LT's headphone output can do what I need?

I see in the manual that there are global settings for which outputs the volume knob controls. I wonder, is it possible to set the headphone output to a preset level, and then have the volume knob only affect the XLR/jack output? That would save a lot of hassle for nighttime recording and noodling.

Thanks in advance.

I can only speak to the full Helix, but the only global parameter for the headset is what sources you want the headset to monitor.  You might want to download the Helix LT manual and see if there's something different there in the global ins/outs section.

A couple of conveniences you may want to consider (other than the headset volume knob) on the full Helix.  Even though you have a separate audio interface as most of us did when we got into this it's extraordinarily convenient using the Helix as your audio interface.  In my case I leave my mic, bass, guitar, keyboard and headsets all plugged into the Helix.  I have separate presets designed for each so when I'm ready to record one of those instruments I just select the appropriate patch and I'm ready to record.  If I'm recording voice using headsets I simply turn down the main volume knob and it's ready to go.

There are a lot of advantages to the full Helix in that regard.

• Upvote 1

I can only speak to the full Helix, but the only global parameter for the headset is what sources you want the headset to monitor.  You might want to download the Helix LT manual and see if there's something different there in the global ins/outs section.

A couple of conveniences you may want to consider (other than the headset volume knob) on the full Helix.  Even though you have a separate audio interface as most of us did when we got into this it's extraordinarily convenient using the Helix as your audio interface.  In my case I leave my mic, bass, guitar, keyboard and headsets all plugged into the Helix.  I have separate presets designed for each so when I'm ready to record one of those instruments I just select the appropriate patch and I'm ready to record.  If I'm recording voice using headsets I simply turn down the main volume knob and it's ready to go.

There are a lot of advantages to the full Helix in that regard.

Thanks for the response. You're probably right that the original Helix is the way to go.

I am not completely sure if it is possible what you ask, but I think it is not possible, practically sure about that.

But, an idea, you might consider buying a small mixer. I have a Behringer Xenyx QX1002USB. It has a mic in (with phantom power option) among other things. So your chain could be: guitar > Helix LT > mixer: plug in your mic (or use your Scarlett for that) and headphones and the Helix of course > your audio interface Scarlett > PC. You can set various volume levels on the mixer.

I bought the thing for something like 90 euros and its very convenient, for me it is. I plugged in my Helix LT and studio monitors, and also my iPad sometimes to play along backing tracks (and headhones for jamming in late hours) Nice! (Detail: only 1 cable is needed for that: a 3.5 mm to 2 x 6.5 mm cable. Plug the 3.5 mm jack in the ipad/smarthone output, and put the 2x6.5 mm jacks into mixers input.)

I also use it for recording: mixer headhones out > ios audio interface > ipad (and put my headhones in the ios interface)

The mixer has given me lots of flexibilty for all sorts of purposes.

• Upvote 1

I am not completely sure if it is possible what you ask, but I think it is not possible, practically sure about that.

But, an idea, you might consider buying a small mixer. I have a Behringer Xenyx QX1002USB. It has a mic in (with phantom power option) among other things. So your chain could be: guitar > Helix LT > mixer: plug in your mic (or use your Scarlett for that) and headphones and the Helix of course > your audio interface Scarlett > PC. You can set various volume levels on the mixer.

I bought the thing for something like 90 euros and its very convenient, for me it is. I plugged in my Helix LT and studio monitors, and also my iPad sometimes to play along backing tracks (and headhones for jamming in late hours) Nice! (Detail: only 1 cable is needed for that: a 3.5 mm to 2 x 6.5 mm cable. Plug the 3.5 mm jack in the ipad/smarthone output, and put the 2x6.5 mm jacks into mixers input.)

I also use it for recording: mixer headhones out > ios audio interface > ipad (and put my headhones in the ios interface)

The mixer has given me lots of flexibilty for all sorts of purposes.

You know, I actually have a little Behringer mixer that I used to use the same way. It would certainly be a possibility to rig it up again, but it does mean a lot more cables running around the place. Hmm, one to think about, thanks!