Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Trying to get Ovation Adamas sound

So I've been pretty impressed with my JTV-89F with everything except the Acoustic guitars.  I've been trying to re-create the sound of my Adamas, but all of the acoustic sounds already in the Variax sound dead to me.  No boom on the bottom, no sparkle on top.  I guess they sound like the guitars they are modeling, which is fine if you are into that.

I have come close using pickup configurations on a couple of the Jazz style guitars.  Where I run into the issue is I can't seem to set the volumes for the strings separately on the different pickups.

As example... I want to use the neck pickup primarily for the lower tone strings, and the neck pickup for the higher tone strings.  I found two pickups that work great, but I can't see to set the string volumes for each pickup, that seems to be a global setting.  

Any thoughts ?   I could just use a preset on the Helix with one of the single coils, but it seems the Variax "should" be able to reproduce the sound I'm looking for.

You don't mention how you're amplifying Helix, but success with the acoustic models begins and ends with what you're plaything through. If it's not some kind of FRFR speaker(s), it's a losing battle.

And no, you can't split piezo outputs like that one the Variax. You can vary individual string volumes for any one model...but you can't have the three low strings running through one model, and the treble strings through another. What you can do is blend the mag pickups and models...you might try messing around with that and seeing what you come up with.

You don't mention how you're amplifying Helix, but success with the acoustic models begins and ends with what you're plaything through. If it's not some kind of FRFR speaker(s), it's a losing battle.

And no, you can't split piezo outputs like that one the Variax. You can vary individual string volumes for any one model...but you can't have the three low strings running through one model, and the treble strings through another. What you can do is blend the mag pickups and models...you might try messing around with that and seeing what you come up with.

Yes FRFR.  Blending Mag pickups with the model might do the trick.  I hadn't really thought about that.   It's frankly a personal "challenge"...  I know I can do it with the mag pickups and the helix with an IR.... but it would be nice to get there from the Variax.  I'm gonna go try :)