Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and Workbench

knoxdaz10

hi guys, just picked up my variax again after a month or 2 (got a new strat), and workbench isnt connecting. not sure what to do guys. ive try unplugging the vdi cable, turning off and on the helix. rebooted computer. it was working after the update to make it work with helix. now its not working.

please help guys

The HD WB was implemented in FW 2.20.00. The driver that makes it work without interfering with the Helix editor app was updated for FW 2.21.00. Take a look at the L6 download section for a timeline.

Also make sure you have nothing using midi channel 16, as that is the communication path that the Variax/VDI/Helix/USB/computer/HD WB uses for 2 way communication, and how HD WB senses that the Variax is connected,....

Dave

I had a similar experience.. Turned out the connector on my cable was bad, one of the wires was covered over by bent over plastic separator.  It worked fine with the Helix, but wouldn't work with Workbench till I fixed the connector.  I knew from the start it was the cable because it worked fine with the VDI cable that came with the Variax.

The HD WB was implemented in FW 2.20.00. The driver that makes it work without interfering with the Helix editor app was updated for FW 2.21.00. Take a look at the L6 download section for a timeline.

Also make sure you have nothing using midi channel 16, as that is the communication path that the Variax/VDI/Helix/USB/computer/HD WB uses for 2 way communication, and how HD WB senses that the Variax is connected,....

Dave

im using 2.21fw. nothing using midi channel 16

I had a similar experience.. Turned out the connector on my cable was bad, one of the wires was covered over by bent over plastic separator.  It worked fine with the Helix, but wouldn't work with Workbench till I fixed the connector.  I knew from the start it was the cable because it worked fine with the VDI cable that came with the Variax.

my cable seems to be fine. its a fairly new one

Have you tried another cable?

All it takes is just one wire not connecting properly.

As I said, my cable was working perfectly with the Helix, just not with Workbench, that's what made it confusing for me.  And my cable was essentially new as well.  But I knew it was the cable because Workbench worked with another cable.  Then I looked at the end of the cable under a magnifying glass and saw the problem.  Bent the plastic bit back out of the way and was off to the races.

Have you tried another cable?

All it takes is just one wire not connecting properly.

As I said, my cable was working perfectly with the Helix, just not with Workbench, that's what made it confusing for me.  And my cable was essentially new as well.  But I knew it was the cable because Workbench worked with another cable.  Then I looked at the end of the cable under a magnifying glass and saw the problem.  Bent the plastic bit back out of the way and was off to the races.

man that cable was expensive. 

man that cable was expensive. 

Should be able to get them for around $35 if you look around.

It's a cat5e network cable with Neutrik ends, if you can, look for a cable that's meant to be flexible.  I'll ask around here at work what that spec would be.

CAT4 was used to increase the speed of token ring networks from 4/Mbs (CAT 3) to 16/Mbs.  It was also used with a few system phones back in the 90's.  CAT 4 isn't recognized by the TIA/EIA-568 data cabling standards of today.  

I would go out on a limb and say the cable is most definitely not CAT 4.

My apologies for the tech talk.  I couldn't help myself.  :)