Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Noisy through 1/4" but not xlr?

twystedriffs

So was working on leveling some patches today, using both xlr to daw, and 1/4 to my two alto ts210s. Had all this hissy noise, so I switched to xlr to altos, and the 1/4s to my recording interface. All the noise dissapeared. The noise was from the altos, so wonder why I am getting so much noise through the 1/4s? This is my perferred live set up, hate to have all that hiss onstage. Never really noticed before.

I called up a New Preset, ran XLR Left/Mono to one input, and 1/4" Left/Mono to the other. Dead quiet unless I turned up the Alto input past halfway, then it started to get noisy. That's normal, as the Alto TS210's input rotary is actually like the Line/Mic control on a mixer as opposed to a Volume. Could be the way your interface handles the different connections?

Its not the interface at all. I set my altos at 12 oclock. Just had the interface set up for leveling. Tmrw I will try each one to the altos, with nothing going to mixer at all. Just seems to be noise using 1/4s instead if xlr to altos. And its alot of noise, very noticable?

Do you have the USB connected to your computer? If so, disconnect it and see if the noise goes away. I have this exact same issue when using USB due to ground loops.

Me too. You can diy a fix for this by putting tape over the ground contact on the Usb lead (furthest left as you look at the pins). Some digital computer noise still creeps in from time to time but no ground hum/hiss

https://i.stack.imgur.com/D11ll.jpg