Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tips for synth sound?

Lelik

Hello

I'd like some ideas, suggestions, or some CustomTone patches about synth sounds.

After some rehearsals and tests, I'm slightly disappointed about the uselfulness of Helix synth sounds in a band.

My target is for example to find something nice for songs such as Muse "Starlight" or "Uprising". I don't intend to get the exact tones of the original songs at all, just something that can fit the songs without using just another typical electric guitar tone.

Thanks!

Well, it sounds like one of the Roland GR series guitar synths might have been the better option for you.  The Helix is an amp modeler with some rudimentary synth sounds that are monophonic and thus quite limited.  

Well, it sounds like one of the Roland GR series guitar synths might have been the better option for you.  The Helix is an amp modeler with some rudimentary synth sounds that are monophonic and thus quite limited.  

Thanks, but my main and core tones are just typical electric guitar tones. So the Helix is a good solution for me, and I like it.

Well, I'd love to get the same powerful synth sounds of Boss SY-300 but I understand that it's not possible.

Anyway I'd like to exploit the Helix as much as possible about these special sounds too, and I wonder if anybody has got any good sound, and if it is possible to turn the Helix to practical account also about some synth tone.

I've played with blending a little bit of simple synth sound into my tone on a parallel path, but not straight up synth. I'd probably go with a midi pickup and dedicated synth modules for that. 

• 7 months later...

I know it's an old thread, but I just got the Helix and tried to replicate the soft synth in the beginning of this vid:

For those who have used a HD500 before, I could get something close with Pitch Block > Tron Up/Down > Low+High Pass EQ > some mod > Reverb

On the Helix, the note generators sound good but unfortunately don't track. And the synth that does track has the annoying envelope filter on the attack that I can't seem to dial out.

Anyone had any success yet?? Even the simplest tone of monophonic sine/saw with tracking? At least then there'll be a starting point to build upon.

I know it's an old thread, but I just got the Helix and tried to replicate the soft synth in the beginning of this vid:

For those who have used a HD500 before, I could get something close with Pitch Block > Tron Up/Down > Low+High Pass EQ > some mod > Reverb

On the Helix, the note generators sound good but unfortunately don't track. And the synth that does track has the annoying envelope filter on the attack that I can't seem to dial out.

Anyone had any success yet?? Even the simplest tone of monophonic sine/saw with tracking? At least then there'll be a starting point to build upon.

I've come to the conclusion that trying to get guitar to sound like synth is not worth my efforts. I'll just play synth parts on guitar, but still sound like a guitar but with added effects. We do that a lot especially with Hillsong tunes that have about 3 synth players. We have more guitars than synths, so we just go with it. 

It is also a way to make a song "your own" by not trying to duplicate every sound and tone on the original. 

All I hear is a piano and pad. Is that what you are talking about?

I started running some pre-recorded pads that are mp3 format through USB to Helix. You cannot control them musically, but you can just have them play in the backround so as the dynamics of the band go down, the pad becomes more evident. That allowed me to concentrate on my guitar work than trying to be all synthy. I got some pad selections from Worshiptutorials.com

https://www.worshiptutorials.com/pads/

All I hear is a piano and pad. Is that what you are talking about?

Yes the pad-y sound, not the piano. Technically it's not functioning as a pad since it's playing the song hook, more like a gentle lead. If you know subtractive synthesis, it sounds like the patch is a sine wave + octave up and down, lowpass filter, mild reverb.

I can't figure out how to get a tracking sine wave like tone on the Helix.