Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Setting up POD 2.0 with Audacity

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to the recording scene so I've just been learning by trial and error and loads of research. This problem that I'm facing now, however, I really can't seem to figure it out.

Here are my laptop specs:

Windows 10 64 bit

Intel i5 5200U CPU 

2.2 Ghz

8GB RAM

So here's the issue:

I've found a way to get my UX1 to work in PODfarm itself and it seems to be picking up the mic that's plugged in along with my acoustic guitar. That's great.

What's really annoying me is that as soon as I open Audacity, there's no playback or recording at all. I've double checked all my devices (could have missed something) and still nothing. I'm also getting some strange error message. I'm attaching some screenshots to show what I'm referring to.

In PODFarm:

I am seeing the guitar and mic signals come in relatively clearly so they seem to be functioning there.

However this part should be noted - When I check my mic in Windows, I can't use voice recorder for whatever reason, as if no mic is plugged in. When I try to test my mic, nothing. The circular blue line in Voice Recorder does not diverge from the centre and and it shows "recording cannot be played".

Some thoughts: It's possible that when I am testing the mic in PODfarm that it is in fact defaulting to the PC internal mic and that I am mistaking it "working" for that. I have thoroughly tested my mic on my Marshall AS50D amp and it works clearly, nothing wrong. I am fairly confident that my mic is working correctly in POD Farm. When I test my mic under Windows 10 Recording settings (right click bottom right speaker/ recording devices) it does NOT indicate the green bars to be moving next to the UX1 selection.

I know the issue is stemming from settings, but I really don't know where to look at this point. How can it work in one place but then totally fail in another?!

Please help!

Giordano

post-1394313-0-74703700-1496932565_thumb.png

post-1394313-0-88905800-1496932574_thumb.png

post-1394313-0-64690100-1496932676_thumb.png

I see you have AISO4ALL in PodFarm. I think you need to use Line 6 AISO drivers for that. Also the sample rate in Audacity should be the same in the Line 6 ASIO settings. Try to use Line 6 drivers first.

Audacity does not support ASIO out of the box. You can however compile it to include ASIO support, check their site.

You could also try Reaper, it is free to demo.

I don't know what I did but I remember using Audacity with my X3 Pro and HD500 and I'm pretty sure my UX2 also. I don't remember having difficulty but I do remember Audacity finding my devices. It's been a while though maybe something changed. I'm going to have try again, it's been a while. 

I may've compiled my installation of Audacity correctly for my use without even realizing it, lol.

Yeah, it's been a while for me too, but I do remember successfully using Audacity with my PODxt, without Line6 ASIO drivers. But it was only as an exercise.

I was using Sony Acid at the time, but due to lack of support I jumped to Reaper. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, it's been a while for me too, but I do remember successfully using Audacity with my PODxt, without Line6 ASIO drivers. But it was only as an exercise.

I was using Sony Acid at the time, but due to lack of support I jumped to Reaper. 

I would have to agree Reaper is probably the better way to go. I remember having to find, download and install LAME and another piece of software in order for Audacity to work the way I wanted. It wasn't too difficult for me but it was still extra steps that needed taking. I still use Audacity from time to time but only to edit a bit and convert.

Ok so, I've switched over to go with Reaper based on more research done.

It still hasn't solved my problem :(

Here's where I'm at now:

Reaper picks up my mic/guitar no problem withOUT PODfarm but as soon as I try to launch VST/standalone - nope.

All drivers are Line 6 ASIO, updated directly and via Line 6 monkey. Preference screen in Reaper is as it should be as per every tutorial out there. I've uninstalled ASIO4ALL as per Support's direction, they indicated that ASIO4ALL is isn't compatible with PODFarm. As of now, the only thing plugged in is the USB from UX1. In the UX1 there's my mic and my guitar, both plugged into their respective ports. I use the computer jack for playback to avoid weird issues when plugging directly into the UX1.

I'm really at a loss for what to do because I've followed every step diligently but it's just not coming together. I really don't know what I'm missing here.

Why can't I just make music??

VST and Standalone are two different workflows, let's figure out the Standalone first.

How are you monitoring the UX1?

In the PF mixer view you configure what is sent to your DAW, there are 4 possible channels to send.

Likewise in Reaper, after you select the Line6 ASIO driver, you need to enable which channel(s) you want to receive.