Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with keyboard amps

hag01

I going to buy a Helix in few mounths.

I want to buy a keyboard amp in case I'll have to play in a place without any kind of amplification.

My question is, since most of the small keyboard amps are just one monophonic speaker, and those are not stereo amplification,what I will have to set in the Helix to work good with that amplification?

Is there a way to turn the Helix to monophonic mode?

Actually I thought to buy Roland CM 30, it is not exactly a keyboard amp, but close.

Hi - strange choice. Even the keyboard player in my band plays through what we call FRFR - that's full range flat response system.

Are you only intending to play at home?. 30W is really not very much when you want to reproduce a full spectrum of sound with plenty of headroom - don't confuse this with say a 30W valve amp like say a Vox AC30 - you need a few hundred watts at least to have an amp simulated sound that feels anything like that loud (a 30W valve amp with efficient speakers can be very loud!) The price for this cube is about the same as something like the Behringer B112D http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Loudspeaker-Systems/Portable-Speakers/B112D/p/P0AJN

I can tell you with no doubt that that will put out a better sound for the Helix and a ton more level - with basic mixing options if you want to use something else too.

There are a lot of self powered speakers in direct competition with the Behringer - I'd look there before the cube.

Regarding mono - you use the left output on either the XLRs or the 1/4in outs to get mono - don't need to do anything extra - automatically sums the 2 channels if you don't plug in the right channel.

Helix automatically switches to mono if you plug into the Left side only, either XLR or 1/4". Just like Acoustic Guitar amps, keyboard amps are not ideal, but will work okay as "faux" FRFR. The problem is that the smaller cheaper keyboard amps, in my experience, simply all suck.

@hag01, do yourself a favor. Use a more suitable Active FRFR PA Monitor with your soon to be acquired Helix. In the same price range as the Roland CM30 you are likely to find an Alto TS210a, or perhaps a Yamaha DBR10, JBL, or similar, far more competent monitor.

Try to listen to as many as you can. If you can find a good deal on used Monitors, consider going with two. Running twin, regardless, if Mono or Stereo, is a significantly fuller, richer, and wider sound field!

As other users have mentioned, getting yourself a FRFR speaker is the best option to plug your Helix into. I've had to use a keyboard amp (Roland KC-150) before for a rehearsal and it did sound decent, but FRFR is the best option by far.