Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FX LOOP

croggers

Hi guys, I was just wondering...Why on earth you can't just go from the Fx send / return straight to your amps send/return when wanting to use fx only without amp sims? !! This 4 cable method is driving me insane. How hard can it be ? 

guitar > guitar in on pod

1/4 jack out on pod > amp input

fx loop send on pod > fx loop return on amp, 

fx loop send on amp > fx loop return on pod.

Am I missing something here ? 

Mmm, Your Question is really simpler than 4CM. Yes, you can use the HD like an FX processor and go out and back your Amp's send and return.

The FX Loop on the HD is really an insert point. There is no way to put anything in that insert loop. A better name for it really! You can have FX before the insert Loop and after, but not between the insert loop.

You can still do what you are proposing by sending Amp send to HD FX return and HD main L/mono output to your Amp's FX return.

4CM is just the addition of a cable from the HD FX loop send to your Amps guitar input. The guitar cable goes into the HD guitar input.That is it.

Now you can have pedal board FX from the HD before you Amp's preamp by disengaging the Amp block in the HD .   You can move the HD FX insert loop anywhere before or after in the empty FX slots. IF it it the first slot you wont get any FX before your Amp's preamp.  Just before the Amp block is usually the most suitable to have all options.

With the Amp block disengaged the Fx return is coming from your Amp's FX loop send, after your preamp and time based FX can be inserted and used after like it is an external Rack FX.To complete the circuit it goes out the L/Mono out of the HD to your Amp's FX return, then to your Amp's power amp section and from there to your speaker.

Have fun. woops, I just re read what I wrote,  Just run the cables Guitar to HD input--HD FX send to your Amp's guitar input---Your Amp's FX send the the HD FX return---The HD Lmono output to your amp's FX return.

Once you set it up and start using it it will make sense.