Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Save to my tones behaviour

xmacvicar

Has anyone else noticed any strange behaviours with writing tones to my tones? I am prompting the fire hawk fx to "save to my tones" which I would assume would over write any pre-existing tones (compared to save to my tones as) with that exact same title - however it often creates duplicates or sometimes three or four variations.

Anyone notice this? I feel like if there's any slight difference in the patch - even if you use save to my tones it will create another version

I'm not having that problem on mine, but you are right, Save To My Tones should overwrite the tone file.  Save As (but not amending the title) would produce a duplicate.

I know it's not an ideal solution but when this problem came up previously, mcbeddall suggested doing Save As... then adding a number to the end so you know which is the new tone and then deleting all the old versions.

This is definitely a bug or weird behaviour then. No matter if I am editing tones from device, or from My Tones, etc. if I choose to 'save to my tones" and as long as the patch has the same file name as any pre-existing ones it should just overwrite or update it - further troubled by the green indicator on the app that says "your my tones has been updated" (or something similar). Save my tones AS would be the whole function for creating a copy or potential other variant of the patch.

It gets annoying for when you are really working with the Firehawk and trying to dial in your gig tones and your my tones list just ends up getting all these mass duplicates, and you are not sure which one is which - then you have to get into deleting them and are not sure which one is the most recent or the true one you want to have backed up.

Thanks for that. So seems like you were able to experience this as well - thanks for the explanation. 

So really its sort of a best practise to edit everything via my tones, and only when 'happy' with it, then save it to the Firehawk FX. 

Yes it takes a bit of getting used to. I normally switch tones using my feet so I end up playing the FH version by default. I have to force myself to remember that if I want to tweak the tone, I have to load up the MyTones version first, then save to FH.

I think this is a CX design fault, but the Line6 developers would call it a "feature". Ha.

So when you say load up my tones ... do you mean load the tone from the FH FX in the app "instead of the app or specifically the tone absolutely needs to be saved to my tones section.

This is unnecessarily complicated lol

Yes it is complicated, not well thought out at all.

When you turn on the FH, you are using the tones on the FH itself, not the app, even if you have it on and connected via Bluetooth. This is true also as you change tones using the foot switches. If you start to edit the tone and save, you will duplicate the tone in MYTones. Hence my tip is to load up the tone from MyTones on the app, then edit and save, then Save to FH. This way avoids duplicating the tone in the app, but you then have to save a copy to the FH if you want to use your feet.

Either way, you have to do two actions. Editing from the FH requires you to delete a duplicate in MyTones, editing via MYTones requires you to save a copy back to the FH. There is no master edit/save process that does both. God my brain hurts just thinking about it.

• Upvote 2

Yes it is complicated, not well thought out at all.

Hence my tip is to load up the tone from MyTones on the app, then edit and save

But what if the tone is NOT in my tones - its just on the actual Firehawk hardware. Do I need to force save it to my tones to get it there, to then follow your recommendations?

Its hard to explain via the internet, but what if I load up the app, and go to the TONES section (at the top you have my tones, cloud, firehawk, etc) if I select the tone from the Firehawk top bar does that count? Or is that still the same as just loading up the preset with your feet/doing it manually with the actual device hahahah sorry!