Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Please Help Me Set My Rig Up!

jeremiahzellers

Hello... I'm admitting defeat and asking for help.

So, here is where I'm at... I just bought a new ART SLA-2 Power amp that I want to run my HD500x into.  Problem is, I have to crank the ART and the HD just to get a volume loud enough to get over a drummer. 

My set up is guitar > HD > ART Bridged mode (530 watts and 8 ohms) > 4x12 cab running mono 16 ohms.  

Now, I know that running 8ohm head to 16 ohm cab will cut down the watts some, but It's crazy quiet.

If I set the HD to "Line" mode instead of amp, it's louder and and comes very close to getting loud enough in the mix, but it feeds back TERRIBLY and there is a constant unholy noise or robotic sounding hiss. (I have to max all volumes on the HD)  I uploaded a video of the crazy noise that it emits... it's a cellphone video, but it gives you an idea.

I have tried all the various output settings and nothing seems to work.  So, how can I set this up so that I don't have to crank all the volumes to get close to a useable live volume???

This is a huge guess but I noticed that when running in bridge mode, you're supposed to connect to the two red output posts as opposed to a black and red one.  I'm not sure what happens if you connect to the black and red posts in bridge mode but it looked like a mistake I would easily make.  Hope it's as easy as this.

This is a huge guess but I noticed that when running in bridge mode, you're supposed to connect to the two red output posts as opposed to a black and red one.  I'm not sure what happens if you connect to the black and red posts in bridge mode but it looked like a mistake I would easily make.  Hope it's as easy as this.

Hello,

I checked and I have it plugged in correctly. It's weird. From what i've been reading, this thing should be rattling windows with room to spare....

Not sure what else it could be.  Plugging into a power amp.. what should the pod be set to? 

Does the amp have voltage taps from the output transformer?

Are you going into it monoL out of the HD?

EDIT: I just googled it and looked at the specs. The output is for stereo 4 or 8 ohms .

You'll have to rewire your cabinet so it'll be 8 ohms. The loudest will be a 4 ohms load.

Does the amp have voltage taps from the output transformer?

Are you going into it monoL out of the HD?

EDIT: I just googled it and looked at the specs. The output is for stereo 4 or 8 ohms .

You'll have to rewire your cabinet so it'll be 8 ohms. The loudest will be a 4 ohms load.

Hello

Thanks for the reply. As far as I know, there is no voltage tap.  I will look for a instructions on rewiring my cabinet.  Hopefully it's not too difficult 

Do I have things set up correctl?  I am going Mono Left out of the HD into the power amp.  I have the output setting on Stack Power (or something like that) and I have the switch on the front set to line (amplifier setting is way too quiet).  Is this how I set it to run into a power amp?