Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Snapshots and Variax Tunings

mike-w

I've been trying to save a key change from Drop D to Drop Eb on a snapshot.  Can this be done?  I have the Helix Variax settings set to Per Preset.  All I get is the current tuning, not the change.

You should absolutely be able to get the custom tuning on a snapshot change. You may want to try turning off the Helix and unplugging and replugging your Variax VDI cable on both ends and restarting the Helix. This has fixed this issue for other folks who have encountered it. Also make sure you highlight the Input block after you change snapshots to ensure that the new snapshot has your custom tuning.

You have to assign each string you want to retune to the snapshot controller. And you have to make sure the alt tuning is set to custom not don't force. The Variax model is an independent parameter and can be set with or without changing the tuning. Of course the Variax switch has to be engaged on the guitar for this to work.

Thanks for the help.

Tried all the above a couple different times. I'm still not getting it.  

I have the VAx tuning parameter in Custom for both snapshots - in other words, I do a standard tuning as a Custom/all 0's.  If I change the tuning and save, go to the next snapshot, change the tuning and save - I'm left with the last tuning for both snapshots.

For clarity, the VAx is set to Model.  If I switch between presets and back, the VAx is being properly forced to the model and tone setting - but the tuning is the last saved for both snapshots.

I've tried this both on the Helix, and Helix Edit 2.21 - I only get the last tuning saved.

I have the VAx tuning parameter in Custom for both snapshots - in other words, I do a standard tuning as a Custom/all 0's. If I change the tuning and save, go to the next snapshot, change the tuning and save - I'm left with the last tuning for both snapshots.

It sounds like amsdenj may have had the answer in his post above. Are you seeing [square brackets] appear around the string tunings you are selecting in each snapshot? If not you will get the same tuning for every snapshot. Assign the string tunings by either pressing and quickly turning the parameter button for the string tuning on the Helix or alternatively by pressing Alt-click on the string tuning parameter in the Editor. When done correctly square brackets will appear around the altered string tuning.

Just want to make sure I understand you correctly. It sounds like you are but just to make sure, are you changing the individual string settings on the Helix, e.g. E string = "-2"? The tuning you change to using the Variax model selector knob will not be saved on the Helix. You must change each string's setting in each snapshot directly on the Helix's Input block and save. Additionally, if you want to use a different tuning in other snapshots, the string tuning must be assigned to snapshots (brackets displayed). Also, did you try unplugging and replugging the VDI cable?

Push and Turn - so easy!  Still getting Snapshots figured out.  I was an early Helix purchaser, and I play less and less these days...

So I got tuning snapshots working on the Helix.  I haven't figured out how to get brackets on the editor.  I'm on Mac OS and none of the keys I tried would produce brackets.

Interesting that doing a search for "brackets" in the Helix manual, yielded the "push and turn" advice above.  Searching the Pilot Guide, "brackets" doesn't get a hit.  I did some more searching and as far as I can tell, this isn't explained in that manual - or not clear enough for me maybe.

So, what's the magic "alt" key in the Mac OS editor?

Thanks again.

So, what's the magic "alt" key in the Mac OS editor?

Thanks again.

- Snapshot Assign Shortcut—OPTION-click (Mac) or ALT-click (PC) any Home screen parameter to quickly assign its value to the Snapshots controller

- Unassign Controller Shortcut—SHIFT-OPTION-click (Mac) or SHIFT-ALT-click (PC) any Home screen parameter to instantly remove any controller assignment

OK.  Opt-Click the number - [brackets appear] - use the arrows to change the value.  I was Opt-Clicking the arrows before.

FWIW, I did an "opt snapshot" search and still didn't find anything about this in the Pilot's Guide.

Thanks again to all who have taken time to help.  This key change works perfect and is seamless compared to a preset change.

• 4 weeks later...

Is this an issue with the 2.21 FW? I just updated from 2.00 because I've been a little nervous about running into problems. I went to some of my old patches with custom tuning and not only did it not recall the custom tuning, but the Helix wouldn't register note changes at all. I could still transpose with the Variax Tuning knob, but not from my Helix. I decided to update because I won't be playing live for a few weeks, but I still get nervous when I can't figure out something. I'm pretty sure I have everything setup the same way as before.

Is this an issue with the 2.21 FW? I just updated from 2.00 because I've been a little nervous about running into problems. I went to some of my old patches with custom tuning and not only did it not recall the custom tuning, but the Helix wouldn't register note changes at all. I could still transpose with the Variax Tuning knob, but not from my Helix. I decided to update because I won't be playing live for a few weeks, but I still get nervous when I can't figure out something. I'm pretty sure I have everything setup the same way as before.

This sounds like you need to go to any one of your presets with an Input block that has the Variax selected and change the 'Variax Settings' parameter to "Per Preset". This should return all of your Variax presets to honoring the custom settings. Even though the 'Variax Settings' parameter is located within a preset it actually is a global setting that affects all other presets with Variax input blocks.

This sounds like you need to go to any one of your presets with an Input block that has the Variax selected and change the 'Variax Settings' parameter to "Per Preset". This should return all of your Variax presets to honoring the custom settings. Even though the 'Variax Settings' parameter is located within a preset it actually is a global setting that affects all other presets with Variax input blocks.

I made sure to set it to Per Preset, but nothing I did made the notes change.  I decided to reset the device and it started working, but I wasn't sure if it was a one time thing because I had just run the update or if it was a bigger issue that may choose to bite me on stage.