Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix compared to PODHD500X?

gbr13697

I am thinking about getting a Helix.  I have used a POD HD500X for a while now, having also used a Boss GT-100, and I have found the number of slots available for effects etc rather limiting.

8 slots seems fine at first, but comparison with the GT-100 shows that it is far less generous.  On the GT-100 there are “built in†slots for Compression, Pedal, Overdrive, EQ, Foot Volume, 2 x Noise Gates, an additional amp, Send/Return, Chorus, Delay, Reverb.  That’s 12 slots (all of which have choices of pedal/amp within type) plus FX1 and FX2 which can be assigned from a large selection of pedals.  That’s 14 in all.  Many of these are items are “bread and butter essentialsâ€, particularly when using just effects and no amps with the 4 cable method.  On the GT100, all the essentials are there, with a few luxuries, and still space for the odd gimmick.

With no amp in the POD HD500x, and using the 4 cable method, slots have to be used for EQ, volume, Send/Return, and Noise Reduction.  Most people would struggle without Delay, Reverb, Compression, and Overdrive, and that’s all 8 slots gone.  There are lots of other effects available on the POD, but the only real way of using them is by devoting a patch to each and dumping something else.  Not a very convenient solution for a “stomp box pedalboardâ€.

How does the Helix compare in practice?

I am not at my Helix at the moment so I am making a guess at this. I am thinking that there are 8-10 "slots" available on each of the 4 paths (paths can be ran serially, parallel, independent), which gives you 32-40 available slots for effects, amps, cabinets, IRs, etc...

Again, I am guessing at this number. I have never ran out of slots. You generally run out of processing power before running out of space on your preset. 

In practice? You will easily get 16 FX total if you aren't using amps/sims. You may get to 24. Even if you subtract those things you talk about, you are still way way above what a GT100 and an HD 500 are capable of. But you only get 10 stomp foot switches (8 on LT), so consider that. 

imho, the power of Helix is about 2.5 X what I had in HD 500 for most patches, somewhere around 3X for others.

Oh, and it sounds noticeably better.

And it's insanely easy to use.

The patch building process is extremely flexible.  I find it hard to run out of DSP and a lot of my patches have multiple delays and modulations.  The switching and routing options with Helix are nothing short of awesome.  And as already mentioned, the interface is insanely easy.

Thank you all for the replies.  That's what I needed to know, but isn't easy to glean from the info/reviews etc.

I like my amps, and I only use the emulated amps occasionally for special purposes.  Otherwise I'm just looking for a stomp box with easily accessible "multi-effects" to a reasonable quality.

The quality of most on the POD or the GT100 is reasonable with exceptions.  It was just that the POD makes them very hard to use efficiently, and I didn't want to spend a lot of money to get better effects if the were just as hard to build into versatile patches.

The quality of most on the POD or the GT100 is reasonable with exceptions.  It was just that the POD makes them very hard to use efficiently, and I didn't want to spend a lot of money to get better effects if the were just as hard to build into versatile patches.

I found the POD very easy to program using the editor, and to be honest, once I forced myself to learn the front panel, not much harder, and a handful of things is actually easier on the unit than the software.

Helix is a different beast. When I first got it, I printed a manual. I lost the manual a couple days later, misplaced it in my office.

Didn't bother looking for it.

Didn't find it for another month or two.

In 2 days or less, you can know everything you need about Helix, and it's just as easy (easier for most stuff imho) from the front panel as using the software.

I only use the software for preset/file management and backups. I program all of my presets on the Helix itself. I also don't use any real amps or stand alone effects effects any more. At home I use just Helix with a pair of powered PA/FRFR speakers. Out of the house, play direct to front of house with in-ear monitors. Helix does sound that good, and is so much easier to transport. One case for Helix and a gig bag with a couple of guitars...DONE.