Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT - Advice on Amp/Speaker set ups?

Shinji13

Hi there, new to the forum, and hopefully soon to purchase a Helix LT. I need some advice regarding amps, speakers etc. I'm currently running an M13 via 4cm into a Blackstar HT20 head and 1x12 cab. I'm keen to do away with as many cables as possible, for sake of quick set up/take down time.

I also have a Vox ACR15 VR, a sort of hybrid Solid State/valve amp, with no effects loop - only use this at home, as other rig is at practice room.

So, can someone recommend easiest set up to get me started? As a side note, I can pick up a second hand Crate powerblock at the same shop selling the Helix, I know quite a few people use these along with a regular guitar cab - But I wanted to see what I could do with the gear I already own first.

My apologies, as this has probably been discussed to death already.

Cheers.

Yes it has. It seems the consensus here is, in order to get the full potential of this thing, you need to get FRFR speakers. Definitely do a search re this topic. If you use a guitar amp in some manner, start with only the preamp and no cab.

You can run 4cm with the Helix as well, but you will be limiting yourself tonally going through your existing amp. To be able to get the full use of all the modeled amps and speakers in the Helix, going FRFR is the way to go. Just know that you can do it both ways, and both can sound great. 

When I got mine, I ran into Crate powerblocs pushing 2 4x12s.. Im a stereo guy. Sounded great, turned the cabs off and had great success. Had a bunch of gigs coming up so went with what I had. Then I was gonna do some recording so plugged straight in, added some cabs..wow!! Different world! Ordere 2 Alto ts210s and havent looked back. For a few weeks O was on the fence, you have to adjust your ears to it, and it takes a bit more tweaking. But the added depth of cans and ORs and the clarity of the amos and effects is a whole different beast. Sounds great live, and I dont miss lugging a bunch of heavy gear around one bit!

I've done the Line 6 Stage Source Lt2 alto TS212's, and TS210's.  Also have done the amplifier route straight into the input with cabs and no cabs.  They all take effort.  And they all can sound great.

My favorite though? Alto 110-older model.  Two of them on the floor in front of me and I'm in heaven.  Light, plenty of power and clarity, and wife does not mind helping load in and out.

Sometimes when board channels are available or someone else is running sound I go Wet Dry Wet.  The Altos get the wet left and right signal and the tube amp gets the center dry signal. tapped off just before the cab or IR.  Modulation effects go to one alto, time based, reverb, delay go to the other alto.  Ping pong bounces between the two altos. 

Similar to taylorbeats' reply, my favorite configuration is to run two Yamaha DXR10 on the floor spread a few feet in front of me. Otherwise, I'll flank them spread slightly on either side of either my Fender Mustang IV v.2 2x12 or Fender Mustang III v.2 1x12 (where the Fender is runnig Dry in a W/D/W configuration).

I've also tried running directly to the Fender amps with the Helix Cabs on and off and the Fender's Cab Sim on and off. Diffferent sounds for different tones, but all sound really good. Have yet to find anything that sounds horrible.

Also for instances when I don't need complexity of SPL, I've connected my Helix to a Yamaha THR10C Stereo AuxIn via a pair of Helix's FX Sends or Main Outs. This is a surprising good FRFR configuration for easy setup and practice at low listening levels at very near field (couch side end table, cocktail table, etc).

The Helix also sound great through a pair of JBL LSR308 Studio Monitors at near field (less than 10') when the speakers are at ear level.

Go with what sounds good to you and suits your budget.

A good pair of Headphones and IEMs are also great with the Helix. I use Sony MDR-V6 and Shure SE530.

YMMV.