Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix causing interference with my amps

rtjpez

I know this topic is probably been discussed before but here's a general question. I noticed that I may have a grounding issue with the helix when the Helix is plugged in on a different Outlet in the same room. I have one of my amps is just a little practice amp a fender frontman 25. I hear that interference noise now when I don't even have the Helix on, but when I unplugged it the noise went away. Now I noticed this in another room also especially when I was downloading the new Helix version at the time and I unplugged it and the noise went away in my amp. I have 2 Furman power conditioners one is in an outlet that the Helix is plugged into, and I have another Furman plug into another outlet with the amp in the same room. So I've been through this noise with several another amp a Marshall Half Stack but it's kind of different noise. I've had a hum X before when I had a line 6 hd500x rack that was so noisy and a plug the hum X and it worked and got rid of it when I returned the rack. I guess my question is take it a chance to get hum x again or if that doesn't work is theres a more serious problem with my Outlets my electrician says I'm doing constant 120 volts in the house built in 1983. So other than a hum x what other options could I do get a better power conditioner to eliminate this ground Loop?

Does using a single outlet cause hum?

I find tube amps, with their high internal voltages tend to leak a little voltage to ground. If the HumX works, then go for it. Also braking the loop with transformer isolators on the 2 lines in the loop of the amp may help.

My Marshall is a tube amp and makes a crackling sound but my Fender is a solid state and it makes more of a buzz sound also. I was not able to get the crackling sound to go away when I had to hum X but then again it was doing it before the helix so something else was causing it. On the fender amp when I unplug the Helix it stops.

The steady voltage level is not likely the problem.

A very minimal different ground potential of different circuit feeds or different sides/legs of your home's dual phase AC wiring can cause insedious and frustrating ground loops. If you have a good quality multimeter, you can measure the actual differential to ground for each circuit and recepticle in your home. If you do so, you may quickly determine the issue. If you are not comfortable working with AC power, let your electrician handle this for you!

If the problem you are hearing is indeed a grounding problem with your house circuits, it would not likely be present if you powered both the Helix and your amp from the same multi outlet power strip connected to single wall recepticle. If the problem is no longer present when you power both units from the same source, it was a ground loop. If the problem persists, there is something else involved.

Is the noise present when there is nothing connected to the Helix aside from the AC Power cord?

To both who Commented. First the electrician tested the outlets use them multimeter and determine there was no problem, and getting 120v steadily. I'm not sure what other tests to do but when you have two different Outlets two different Furman power conditioners and you do not even have the Helix on, it's causing the problem. The other thing the USB is not plugged in oh by the way the den room is my game room which I have the stuff hooked up but when I use the computer I go into my family room the same thing happens to two different Outlets so I am going down Guitar Center today and try to see if the hummocks is going to eliminate part of my problem or if I could spend more money and get more of a better conditioner the ones I have or 6 Outlets and I can't remember the model number off-hand but there about 50 bucks a piece. Now I tried not using the cell phone in the area there are two dimmers one is in the family room and one is in the foyer now I'm not sure if I should just invest in a better power conditioner I'm going to go with a hum X again see if that eliminates one problem as far as my Half Stack it's in repair shop. I'm going to have them look at it and I made a video and let them listen. I told him about the problems that I was having so hopefully I'll get solved today

If you are using CFL or LED lamps in any of your light fixtures in your house, turn them off and see if the noise goes away. Sometimes a recepticle is wired into the same circuit as your lighting.

A lot of cheap modern lighting laps send a lot of noisy transients back through your electrical system. You cannot see those transients with a mulitmeter, but you can with an oscilloscope. 

At the time I didn't have any LEDs when my Marshall stack was doing the noise and crackling sound I don't remember having LEDs at the time. CFL I forget what CFL means but thanks for the oscilloscope and a question I should be asking electrician is what can I do to eliminate it.

At the time I didn't have any LEDs when my Marshall stack was doing the noise and crackling sound I don't remember having LEDs at the time. CFL I forget what CFL means but thanks for the oscilloscope and a question I should be asking electrician is what can I do to eliminate it.

Compact Fluorescent Lamp, those "curly que" looking light bulbs. They are HORRIBLE for introducing noise into your home's circuits. I am not saying that is the cause of your troubles, but it is something to be aware of. 

Steady 120V is not the issue.  You wouldn't be able to use the outlet if it didn't supply 120V.  The problem is related to how the outlets are grounded, are they on the same circuit?  Are they on different circuits?  Did you try running an extension cord to the other outlet from the Helix so everything is powered from the same circuit?  Do you have the USB plugged in?  Do you live in the US (which country you live in is important in understanding the circuit) (Since you said 120V it sounds like you do)?

Maybe that's what you meant, i.e. that the electrician you spoke to said the outlets were properly grounded and on the same circuit, but you haven't explicitly said that.

Perhaps @MusicLaw could discuss what grounding issues could exist between different circuits (or even in the same circuit) in a house in a little further in detail.  I used to paint homes, and of course had to remove outlet covers.  I can't tell you how many times I've seen outlets where the electrician didn't bother to ground the outlet properly.. And who knows what the circuit connection to ground was like in those cases?

Some of the stuff I stated in my previous comments before like I'm not hooked up to the USB and other stuff the electrician check the grounding and everything else now as far as being on the same circuit could be a possibility but I know two different rooms and the same scenario obviously they are two different circuits okay maybe not but how do I correct the problem do I keep them on separate circuits or from there that's the question how do I fix it so it stopped different rooms

The plain reality is that there can be many interacting factors and it can be a mind scramble to suss it out.

The only sensible and best way to proceed is unplug everything from the offending circuits and proceed one item at a time. You can also switch off the circuit breaker for the other possibly offending or affected circuits at you circuity breaker panel. One by one, begin by enegizing you items of interest. For instance, your Helix, your monitor speakers, your other amp. As you proceed to add (i.e reconnect) additional items you will find the culprit(s). This can be a painstaking process and is best done with an assistant and perhaps two Family Radio Service (FRS) radios or cell phones, to reduce screaming or back and forth trips to the circuity panel.

Also notorious can be items that are acutally energized and on standby or quiescent mode as soon as they are plugged in. There are many such devices in most homes. Also, the CFL and LED lighting fixtures, dimmers, fans, switches, and much more can be sources of AC line injected interference and RF (Radio Frequency) interference that can make its way into some gear.

Measuring a line's Gound Potential can be as simple as using a digital Multitester to see the voltage difference between the Ground side of a Circuit and the Ground Pin! This will be a very minimal value, but should be readable on any meter that displays to thousanths or tens of thousanths of a volt. If this reading is not the same for each of the outlets on the same circuit, you have a ground loop! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PERFORM THE PRECEEDING TESTING UNLESS YOU ARE COMPETENT TO DO SO, AS YOU COULD ELECTROCUTE YOURSELF!!

Well the hum x did help eliminate the noise through the little Fender amp. now the Marshall Half Stack is in the repair shop getting other stuff done so hopefully I'll dress that. I think it may be a separate issue. I'm not sure because I had a hum X before at one time and I still got a little crackle through the amp

I just got my Marshall back today and I'm happy to report that they found the problem and fixed it that two other repair places cannot find wrong with it. The crackling noise was due to potentiometers being dirty. They clean the Jacks and switches. They tested the tubes, check pin voltages, set bias at 70 Ma tested all function and they checked out okay.