Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best Variax Standard?

tonytrout

I've been thinking of purchasing a Variax guitar to go along with my POD-XT Live (Variax input) but - I'm on a bit of a tight budget so....what would be my best bet?  Which version of the Variax is cheapest but still a workhorse of a guitar??  I'm basically looking for any one of the models that has a Rickenbacker sound until I can afford an actual Rickenbacker......I know that sounds stupid but - to me, there's nothing like the sound of the old Rickenbacker 370/12 like Roger McGuinn used with The Byrds (who I'm a huge fan of)!

Also, is it possible to use the Variax guitar with my normal live setup (Tele with a B-Bender, Vox & Crybaby wahs, & '65 DRRI)??  

Any help is much, much appreciated!

All Variax guitars have the same modeling technology in them, so they will all have the Rickenbacker models. The quality of the guitar determines the price. The standard is the cheapest model. I'm not sure how you want to incorporate Variax with your current setup but you are able to use either the magnetic pickups or modeling out through the 1/4" to your wah+amp. 

All Variax guitars have the same modeling technology in them, so they will all have the Rickenbacker models. The quality of the guitar determines the price. The standard is the cheapest model. I'm not sure how you want to incorporate Variax with your current setup but you are able to use either the magnetic pickups or modeling out through the 1/4" to your wah+amp. 

Fancy electronics aside, Variax is still a guitar. Plug it into whatever you want.

So, I can still have my usual setup plus the Variax?  Cool!!  Thank you, fellas, and thanks for the tips on which is best.  

• Upvote 1