Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

More IR slots

zooey

I know this is old news, but the more I work with IRs, the more I *really* wish there were more IR slots available. 128 sounds like a lot, but it's not.

Pretty much every IR pack has a bunch of variations of mic type and placement, plus mic mixes. If you even want to just audition what's in a new pack, you need some space to do that. Yes I know you can use an external IR loader in your DAW, but I'm not mostly connected to a computer, and don't want to be.

Some other IR management issues would be somewhat eased by more slots, for instance the inability to audition IRs directly from disk, stepping through directories of them.

There are a bunch of pretty much duplicate IdeaScale entries about this, for instance this one, which has links to some others. I suggest voting them all up.

• Upvote 1

Good idea, But before they add more slots, I'd like to have some kind of IR restore integration software after an update first. 

It's bad enough adding them back in the right slots manually at 128 slots. Just imagine how fun 1024 slots would be...

Amongst the Internet's Tens of Thousands of Helix posts -- No, I have not read them all -- there certainly are occasional mentions of Helix's deficient 128 IR slot capacity. In distinct contrast, I have never seen a single post asserting any Helix owner reaching nor exceeding Helix's Preset capacity.

With Eight (8) SetLists (each with a 128 slot Preset capacity), and only Three (3) of which have Factory Supplied Presets and Templates, it would seem that one or several of the others are candidates for being repurposed via an updated firmware release, to be configurable (for Presets vs. IRs) via a User Preference in Global Settings.

There are a number of ideascale submissions all for this same thing. Be sure and vote them up:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/830991

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/824324

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/809273

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/892101

If you count up all the votes, there's a lot!

Amongst the Internet's Tens of Thousands of Helix posts -- No, I have not read them all -- there certainly are occasional mentions of Helix's deficienct 128 IR slot capacity. In distinct contrast, I have never seen a single post asserting any Helix owner reaching nor exceeding Helix's Preset capacity.

With Eight (8) SetLists (each with a 128 slot Preset capacity), and only Three (3) of which have Factory Supplied Presets and Templates, it would seem that one or several of the others are candidates for being repurposed via an updated firmware release, to be configurable (for Presets vs. IRs) via a User Preference in Global Settings.

I am one of the users who long ago filled up all 128 IR slots and could use more. I posted this exact idea a while ago for allowing the user to designate a setlist for either presets or IRs. The saved presets and the size of an IR .wav file appear to be roughly the same.  This approach would leave all the setlists intact for those who don't need the IR space but give users who require more room for IRs an option.  Please vote it up:

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/892101

An important companion piece to this is longer IR names!!!

Big libraries with lots of variations typically use composite names, indicating the cab, speaker(s), mic(s), mic distance, radial position, etc, and they end up long. Add a vendor prefix (OH, CP, RW, CIR, etc), and a three digit IR slot number, and there's no way to fit that in the current max length.

Upshot is that I have multiple IRs that ended up with the same name in Helix (ignoring slot number of course), which wasn't the case in the file system. Very frustrating.

Honestly, while I'd love better IR management tools (reorder while preserving usage in presets, slot-prefix-less backup and restore, preview from disk, show usages, show unused, etc), these two conceptually simple things -- more slots with longer names -- would go a LONG way towards making life with IRs less painful.

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...