Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Getting one tomorrow... Help!

Jam_Sandwich

Hey all. I've had a Kemper for ages and I love it. I'm getting the Helix because it has an editor, awesome routing options, loads of I/O options, an integrated pedal and lots of good reviews.

I'm gonna see what one I prefer better and keep that one. I've wanted to try the Helix for ages so I need to feed this gas.

A few questions. (The help bit!)

Have the firmware updates improved on previous amp models?

Can you tell me if there are any threads with must have downloads, or great free IR's?

What IR packs are must have for classic rock and more modern alternative stuff?

Did anyone leave the kemper or have both? Any thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Have the firmware updates improved on previous amp models?

Some claim that they can hear a difference as firmware updates have progressed. I don't think I can. I think that they sounded great from the get go. They have obviously ADDED models. For instance, my go-to models were not in the original Helix Rack I received in Dec 2015. The Litigator, the Archon clean, and especially the Matchless Channel 1 and Jump.

Can you tell me if there are any threads with must have downloads, or great free IR's?

This is always going to vary from player to player. But you need to make your own patches for best results.

What IR packs are must have for classic rock and more modern alternative stuff?

I would highly recommend trying the built-in cabs FIRST, changing the mic and other settings, and especially trying DUAL cabs (even if you run mono) before going all hog-wile on IR purchases and downloads. Some of us actually prefer the built-in cabs and their flexibility.

What I would say is use the built-in cabs to make some patches that work for you, if they don't get all the way there, THEN look at the built-in cabs that get closest and find some stuff like that. I have a TON of EXCELLENT IR that I've downloaded and I don't use a single one because I found a small handful of the built-in cabs that work amazing for me.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for replying.

I run two Yamaha HS8's so I'm in stereo.

I will definitely mess around with all the cabs and Mics and stuff.

With the kemper community someone made loads of delay presets, loads of reverb, loads of cabs etc and just or them on the site. Anything like that?

And the online exchange thing, are they all made with stock cabs? Are there quite a few decent presets?

Here is where users share their presets. 

http://line6.com/customtone/browse/helix/

For me, the stock cabs and the free Allure IRs are sufficient for my needs. Half of my presets use a single stock cab and one of the IRs combined. 

http://line6.com/allure/

Give yourself a little time with the Helix. You will find the workflow VERY easy and intuitive. However, you are constantly trying new/different things and always learning. I have had mine for a year and it is still "new" every day. 

I would say the firmware updates have made improvements to the previous amp models. Line 6 never says what exactly is improved, I'm guessing small adjustments/refinements and maybe trying to use less DSP. One of my favorite amps in Helix and the physical world is a twin, at first I thought the twin in Helix was good but not great; but an update or two back it just really came to life and it was a definite "wow" moment for me.

There's a lot of presets floating around out there. Just to provide some different ideas other than what has been said; a lot of users post clips of their tones on the FB group and most are willing to share, so if you hear something you like that could be a good place to start. On the Helix Facebook user group there's also a link to a bunch of free IR's, not sure on the quality but I'm sure there are some good ones. It's definitely worth checking out the stock cabs/mic options in Helix though, there's a lot of flexibility there, and the helix cabs do sound great. The free Allure pack previously mentioned is also good.

What kind of music are you gonna be playing Jam_Sandwich?

I write Hendrix, pumpkins chillis type stuff. Classic rock tones to aternative distorted stuff.

Here's one of my songs. All kemper, all me!

https://soundcloud.com/demosandideas/give-me-my-remedy-2

Cool, well I'll definitely check that pack out and the stock ones. I always liked the idea of different mics. I think that feature was available on the 11R. I played around with mic placement and stuff on Amplitube, but the actual sounds let it down.

I'm excited to comparw the Helix to the kemper. I might record dry tones and revamp with each. See what the best I can get with is.

Okay..

Here is my suggestion when you get your Helix home.

Do NOT plug in and play ANY factory preset. Pretend they don't exist.
Go to one of the User banks. Open up preset 01A. It will be empty.  Choose the Archon Lead Amp. Just the amp, not Amp+Cab. 
Now stick one of the Marshall 4x12 Helix Cabs after that. 
Turn it up. 

You simply can not go wrong for a nice thick distorted sound with that amp. 

If you start off by screwing around with the factory presets you'll throw the Helix in the garbage. 
Just fight that temptation and let the first thing you hear out of your Helix be the Archon Lead amp. 

And then let the tweaking begin. :)

I never use the stock presets ever. I'll take your advice!

I was going to have a look on the custom tone site too and download a few of the popular ones too.

Don't be surprised if you are disappointed. I say this so you don't base your opinion on what you might find. Two people that charge for their tones that have always got rave reviews are Freman (see the Freman thread) and DeLaune. If you're in a hurry to get good patches and are willing to pay, that's where I'd go first. Otherwise just pull up an amp and try it. I was amazed at how much easier it is to get a good tone quickly. Quicker than any previous Line 6 product and I've had them all in one form or another.

I have both units and all in all i prefer my Helix,

better clean tones and sooo much easier to use, just an amazing unit!

At first i was a bit dissapointed, but as mentioned erlyer in this thread,

you have to make it personal/making you're own sound!

Have own mine for five months now and it has all that i need, well done Line 6

and looking forward for new updates!

There's Magic to be found in Helix's Stock Cabs!

Explore using two (single or dual) Cab Blocks, Split (i.e on Parallel on Paths 1A and 1B), each with a different Mic. Shure SM57 and Royer 121 are a classic blend. There are other fantastic mic options as well. On one of the Paths, add a bit of Delay and perhaps some Reverb, to taste, for a bit more spatial character, and you may find an inescapable grin on your face. ;)

The Helix's features and flexibility is awesome! You can do things with it that transcend what is practically doable in the real world, and all without the hassle of hauling gear or patching cables between outboard gear and pedals.

YMMV, but above all explore and have fun!

I write Hendrix, pumpkins chillis type stuff. Classic rock tones to aternative distorted stuff.

Here's one of my songs. All kemper, all me!

https://soundcloud.com/demosandideas/give-me-my-remedy-2

Cool, well I'll definitely check that pack out and the stock ones. I always liked the idea of different mics. I think that feature was available on the 11R. I played around with mic placement and stuff on Amplitube, but the actual sounds let it down.

I'm excited to comparw the Helix to the kemper. I might record dry tones and revamp with each. See what the best I can get with is.

Nice song. I agree, that the Freman and DeLaune presets are great starting points to work with. I normally tweak any preset that I start with to suit the particular song, but theirs give you a real nice base of operation. I've bought most of what both those guys have available. On the other hand, I wouldn't go so far as to say that none of the stock presets are worth checking out. It's all a matter of how much time you have to tweak.

I got it!

Aside from getting to grips with it, I'm enjoying it. It's got some great sounds in there. I've heard some very digital like distortion and some awesome distortion sounds.

I didn't like the Archetype too much I'm afraid! The deluxe vintage (I think it's called) with a tubescreamer was pretty tasty!

I just left Kemper a few months back. I was first disappointed when the Helix arrived. I now love it. I mean really love it. Don't give up on it after your first impression and like others have said, don't even try the stock presets. I'm not a tweaker but I love the editor and huge failing point for the Kemper. Something that has been requested since day 1 and Christoph refuses to listen to his users. I got my Kemper during the first shipment to Sweetwater. Had it for 5 years. Loved it and still think it is an awesome piece of gear. I do not miss it though. The routing in the Helix is just too cool. The tones are in there, you just gotta dig them out. Unlike the Kemper which I consider a plug and play unit, the Helix requires a bit of tweaking. Not much. I pretty much hi pass and low pass everything, though not on a global level. I'm a Helix convert. Hope you dig it after you get it dialed in!

hearing digital distortion.? try putting on the input pad in the settings if you're using fairly hot pickups.. run the output vol knob up at a reasonable level for a good signal to your speakers .. lower the master vol on some amps if it is on 10 and play with the bias (you can raise channel volume without effecting the amp tone, depending what is after the amp).. this can sweeten distortions where amps are concerned anyway.. and that delay, i think there is a headroom setting to adjust too

nb- sorry i misread, i thought you meant vintage delay.. sunday morning blearry eyes haha

I never use the stock presets ever. I'll take your advice!

I was going to have a look on the custom tone site too and download a few of the popular ones too.

I wouldn't bother doing that either. They are made by others using different guitars, different monitoring systems, etc...

I wouldn't bother doing that either. They are made by others using different guitars, different monitoring systems, etc...

I wouldn't NOT bother doing it, just go into using other people's and the factory presets with the understanding they were created with different guitars and monitoring systems.  Testing out other people's presets can be useful for geting ideas on how to adjust presets, and, if you maybe have some information on what guitars were used and what monitor was used (amp/FRFR, etc), eventually you can learn a lot about how to take blocks and presets and adjust them to fit your own equipment.

For instance, it has been said the Factory presets are adjusted prior to each release in a Line 6 studio room with L2t's.