Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to SPDIF?

Jam_Sandwich

Hey all. I want to use SPDIF in/out as my only input and output source. So I want to play, track, reamp just with SPDIF. I can't figure out how to do that.

I'm going Helix to Focusrite Scarlet 18i8 via SPDIF into a Mac.. I'm not getting any signal. What setting do I need to change?

Also, can you control the overall volume of the unit with the editor?

Thanks.

I have no idea what the answer is to this question, but I'm curious why you are going this route.

Well I've just bought the Helix today but I also have a Kemper and I've always used it that way. It's easy just to have 2 cables going into the unit which I can then use for everything from playing, tracking dry and wet signals and then reamping etc.

What's the most common way to track and reamp with the Helix?

Make sure the sample rate matches. The Helix defaults to 48, focusrite to 44.1. I have the 18i20, couldn't use SPDIF at either rate without noise. Went back to analog, can't tell the difference except no noise.

Make sure the sample rate matches. The Helix defaults to 48, focusrite to 44.1. I have the 18i20, couldn't use SPDIF at either rate without noise. Went back to analog, can't tell the difference except no noise.

I can set it to 48. But can I have all of the input and output via SPDIF into my interface? What do I need to change on my Helix?

Or is reamping done by usb on the Helix? Can a wet and dry signal be sent via USB to my DAW?

Thanks.

Reamping is USB. From the manual:

USB Helix also functions as a high quality, multi-in/out, 24-bit/96kHz audio interface for Mac® and Windows® computers, with DI, Re-amping and MIDI functionality built right in. Helix can also record to an Apple iPad (with optional Apple Camera Connection Kit). Use of a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port is required - Do not use an external USB hub. See "USB Audio"

USB 1/2, USB 3/4, USB 5/6
USB 1/2, 3/4, and 5/6 can act as additional output blocks for routing paths to your computer, iPad, or iPhone (with optional Apple Camera Connection Kit). USB 7 and 8 are dedicated for re-amping, and are not available as output block destinations. See "USB Audio" for details.

The idea is, if I can put everything through my 18i8, I can track through it, reamp through it, and then with no fuss at all I can plug a microphone in, listen through headphones to the playback, sing, and also monitor another person singing as it has 2 headphone outputs.

If I use the Helix as a USB interface I have to continually be changing the XLR cables from the Helix back to the USB interface, and changing the input/output source in the DAW when I want to record vocals and monitor a friend at the same time.

Also, I have to keep bending down to change the master volume as I've got the unit under my desk as it's so big. The 18i8 is a small little thing and it's right in front of me so no bending down. Unless you know if a way to control this in the editor?

It's much more convenient to route it all through the 18i8 and I was wondering if I could do it via SPDIF as I know how to use it well via mix control. I can also then just swap the SPDIF cables over quickly if I want to use my Kemper.

I can set the clock speed to 44 or 48 on the Helix or 18i8.

Does that make sense? Any ideas?

Make sure you are using multi-out, and digital out is on.  Helix lumps all digital outs into a single thing for output control.  The manual does say something about you can only use either L6 Link or S/PDIF, but I swear I've used them at the same time.  I haven't tested it for a while though to be sure.  I have done a bunch of recording through S/PDIF though.

Make sure you are using multi-out, and digital out is on. Helix lumps all digital outs into a single thing for output control. The manual does say something about you can only use either L6 Link or S/PDIF, but I swear I've used them at the same time. I haven't tested it for a while though to be sure. I have done a bunch of recording through S/PDIF though.

Thanks!

I've set the clock speed to 44 in the Helix as the Mix control refuses to allow me to set it to 48, but that seems to be working fine. I've got a signal.

And do you know if you can reamp that way? I recorded a quick thing and it recorded both tracks wet.

I've been looking at other threads and it appears people are a bit confused as to whether it will carry a wet and dry signal.

Do you have 1/4 input available on Scarlet?

If so you can put a send block as your first block in the preset. Record it as a separate mono dry track. Also record spdif as wet track.

For reamp set Helix input block to digital and output to digital.

Let us know if this works.

Do you have 1/4 input available on Scarlet?

If so you can put a send block as your first block in the preset. Record it as a separate mono dry track. Also record spdif as wet track.

For reamp set Helix input block to digital and output to digital.

Let us know if this works.

Okay so just to get it right.

Guitar into Helix.

Run a cable from the Helix Send to the 18i8 input. Let's say 1

Put a send block at the beginning of the preset, so it's literally just the dry signal.

That means that input 1 should now be the dry signal, and the SPDIF should be the wet.

Right?

I can't find the input/output block on the Helix, is this one via the editor?

Sweet.

I've managed to set the clock to 48khz, so everything is currently being routed through the 18i8, which is much more convenient than having everything running on different things. So I'll let you know when I've done the reamping and how well it worked. Then I'll write it up just in case it helps someone else out.

• 3 years later...
On 6/17/2017 at 7:57 PM, rd2rk said:

THis is disheartening to me because I just ordered spdif cables to connect my Helix to my 18i20. How can it be that noise is generated using purely digital connection?

3 hours ago, JKater6 said:

THis is disheartening to me because I just ordered spdif cables to connect my Helix to my 18i20. How can it be that noise is generated using purely digital connection?

It can't, it probably wasn't synced correctly.

It's also an old thread, I'm sure you'll be ok.

7 hours ago, JKater6 said:

If everything is set correctly there should be no noise.

If, despite everything being connected correctly, there's still noise (DEFINE noise), there's a small possibility that you have a bad board. When I first got mine, back in 2016, I had this problem. Support had me return it to them for repair. Round trip <1 week. I've had no problems since. With just the Helix and 18i20 connected (NO DAW) CALL support and let them listen to the noise.