Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

QSC K10.2

b3l5tele

Just picked up a QSC K10.2 for use with the Helix and hope to be able to spend time this weekend dialing it in.  The K10.2 has several options for various applications, live, monitor, acoustic guitar, etc.  I was wondering if anyone who has this same setup would share their thoughts on what they thought were optimal settings on the K10.2 with the Helix.

Just picked up a QSC K10.2 for use with the Helix and hope to be able to spend time this weekend dialing it in.  The K10.2 has several options for various applications, live, monitor, acoustic guitar, etc.  I was wondering if anyone who has this same setup would share their thoughts on what they thought were optimal settings on the K10.2 with the Helix.

Many speakers have similar options. 

Live if you have the speaker on a stand (this setting has a flat EQ setting)

Monitor if you have it on the floor as a wedge (it will EQ out some of the low end due to floor/speaker bass coupling effect)

Any other setting will "color" the sound with additional EQing other frequencies. 

If I remember correctly I believe the k10.2 has a special setting for Studio Monitor which I've been curious how that works.  In all likelihood either the Stage Monitor 1 if it's on a pole or Stage Monitor 2 if it's in a wedge position on the floor.  But I'd be interested in your opinion of how the Studio Monitor setting works in comparison to the others.

I was going to get one of those. They are nice. I opted for an EV ZLX12p. Not quite as many bells and whistles but many similar settings. like others stated monitor vs pole/stand settings make a huge difference so make sure you set accordingly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I was just looking at the K10.2 for my new Helix.  What was the result?  Was also looking at JBL's.

I tried the JBL Eon 610s with my Helix. Sounded "OK" but they did not work at all when I used my bass with them. Farted out, just couldn't handle even the low E.

I've tried the K12.2 just once.  It was just at low to moderate volumes in a store demo situation, but I thought it sounded noticeably better than the K12.  I didn't get into any of its bells and whistles, just ran it in studio monitor mode.  It had less of what I think is a compressed high frequency driver sound to it.  (If you've ever been afraid to play hard or use more gain because of the FR/FR speaker sounds worse the harder you hit it, thats what I'm talking about - not sure what is actually causing it though)

I've been gigging with the standard K series for a few months.  I set the speaker up just like I do the other K Series we use for Mains and Monitors.  

Flat / Normal / Line.  Do not use the "Vocal Boost" setting - it adds a weird upper midrange that doesn't sound right with guitar.  

I generally set the channel volume to a level that makes my Helix (set at Noon on the master volume) the right level for the room / stage.  I strive to have BOTH the Helix and the K10 at Noon on their respective volumes.   I have found that if I build my patches for a noon / noon setting, and i have to turn up the Helix everything seems a bit too "high-end" and if I have to turn down the Helix, everything is too mellow and dark.  So I typically will end up adjusting the volume on the QSC first... and try to keep my Helix Volume where it was when I built my patch.

I know the standard 1000 watter doesn't have all the same bells and whistles of the KX.2 series, but they should be close.  

FWIW, I generally have my tone going into my K10 vocal monitor as a wedge in front of me, but I have also used a K8 behind me... standing upright on a GRAMMA speaker isolation platform.  In that situation I still use a Flat EQ. 

I'm getting good sound out of the QSC K10.2 pair now but volume is an issue. I have everything halfway up and they are no louder than a 25-watt tube amp. Can't use them live at this point. I wonder what I am missing!

In global settings > INs Outs you can set XLR outputs as MIC or LINE level. Yours may be set to MIC which is a very low level signal. 

• Upvote 1

Yep, what jbuhajla said... All the way up those K10's should break windows close by. I have heard (not tried) that the K10's work out better than the K12's (have tried these) because of a less low end. Personally,  I'm running ASM-12's and luv um.